The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Did a gig a couple nights ago in a dark cocktail bar. Could of used these that night. I might try something like them next time (these are out of stock in the link)

User Info Menu

I have these on two guitars right now. They look great and have stayed firmly in place for about a year (which is how long I've had both guitars). I also had them on the Carvin I recently sold, and they were equally fine on that for far longer. If you press really hard when you fret, they're barely palpable. But with normal pressure, I can't tell they're there. The side dots are also fine - I continue to be amazed that they're still exactly where I put them.

Here they are when I first put them on my Raines Tele 7. I replaced the bar sticker at 12 with a pair of fleur de lys after a few weeks, because everybody told me the dark one looked weird.

fretboard position marker stickers-mine_front_1000-jpg

User Info Menu

I had used some commercial dots for the fingerboard edge of my Cordoba 55FC but they would come off with hand movements. So I switched to a home brew solution and put dots on the fingerboard itself by using a hole punch with a sheet of typical Avery removable style white stickers. It worked great and they have stayed put forever! Now I can see what I am doing when I am improvising.

(Classical players GASP!)
    Attached Images Attached Images fretboard position marker stickers-20220122_105947-jpg 

thanks all
    I’ll give them a go ....

User Info Menu

I have zero experience with them, but even so I would advise thoroughly cleaning the fretboard before applying them. Oils from your fingers and/or fretboard treatments could prevent secure adhesion.

thanks , yes I will , I lemon oiled the
    fret board only a few days ago
    (new guitar)

so i’m gonna properly dry it off
    with a big cloth let the surface dry off
    completely before i try to affix the
    position dots ....

we‘ll see how that goes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I have zero experience with them, but even so I would advise thoroughly cleaning the fretboard before applying them. Oils from your fingers and/or fretboard treatments could prevent secure adhesion.
    I was worried about that, so I wiped the wood firmly with a bit of clean rag moistened with GooGone and let it dry. The dots were still on my Carvin when I sold it at least 2 years after I applied them, and they’ve been on my Eastman and Raines for about a year now. All 3 are / were played daily, and I oiled the boards after applying the dots and about once a year right over them.

User Info Menu

I would like to find glow-in-the dark side stickers. I can find the inlay material, but can't seem to find stickers.

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I was worried about that, so I wiped the wood firmly with a bit of clean rag moistened with GooGone and let it dry. The dots were still on my Carvin when I sold it at least 2 years after I applied them, and they’ve been on my Eastman and Raines for about a year now. All 3 are / were played daily, and I oiled the boards after applying the dots and about once a year right over them.
    thanks for that ....
    i oiled the board a few days ago and can’t
    get good adhesion ....

the instruction (with the dots) say wait 2 weeks after oiling the board

hmmm I might try de greasing the board with white spirit on a cloth and letting that dry out overnight before i try again

they do look good tho
    I chose conventional white pearl dots

thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I would like to find glow-in-the dark side stickers. I can find the inlay material, but can't seem to find stickers.
    maybe cut some of these down ?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Gl...ps%2C53&sr=8-8

might work

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    i oiled the board a few days ago and can’t get good adhesion
    I like Goo Gone because it’s not terribly drying. Most grease solvents are a little harsh on wood.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Yeah might work, but it would be *awfully* hard to do.

I found these, but I think .5cm is too big. I suppose I could cut them in half and mount them flat side down where the binding meets the neck wood. Might look kinda cool.

User Info Menu

I play lutes that have no fret stickers at all... and I am quite ok with just regular office stickers and a hole puncher to make a small accurate circles out of it if I need a marker.

Or even a piece of paper and scissors and some really mild office glue...
    if you need 'night-view' you can steal fluorescent marker from my kids...

PS

I try not to support modern marketing when they try to market a separate special item or tool for anything