The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 54

User Info Menu

We talk about our guitars. What about our significant others?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

She and the kids never said that they don’t like it or for me to stop playing but it isn’t like they sit in front of me listening intently. Obviously they don’t pay me to play either. But they know how much it means to me and I think they recognize that it is a big part of me.
    Last edited by lammie200; 01-22-2022 at 01:32 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    She and the kids never said that they don’t like it or for me to stop playing but it isn’t like they sit in front of me listening intently. Obviously they don’t pay me to play either. But they know how much it means to me and I think they recognize that it is a big part of me.
    Perfectly stated. My Better Half supports and encourages me, and that is worth everything, for me. My most honest critic, and biggest fan. I am blessed.

User Info Menu

Every once in a while she tells me I’m getting better

User Info Menu

She makes barbed comments about my speeding up

Its not quite Whiplash but it’s getting there

User Info Menu

My wife is very supportive of my musical journey. I do have a separate music room so that helps (I wouldn't want to hear someone playing while trying to watch T.V.).

Most of the time I play an acoustic guitar so the volume is mellow. The guitar is one she purchased for my birthday (20 years ago). My friend picked it out (Martin JC-16R). Sometimes if I've had too much wine I play and sing Beatles song and get too loud. When she says something I just tell her; well you're the one that got me this guitar!

User Info Menu

Mrs jk is very supportive of my classical side, Bless her. Didnt wink or shiver when she told me to go ahead and buy my Marin-Montero.
    OTOH….
    She kind of tolerates jazz to an extent. She knows I enjoy it so she pretty much gives me free reign with limits. Really cant take the Standards, reminds her too much of her parents (bad stories). Back in gig days rarely came to listen. “I dont get it”. She did enjoy listening to Tal but that usually included a bottle of vino. So now she’s had a year plus of me barely playing; been a gift for her lol.
    jk

User Info Menu

My wife doesn't care that much about me playing, but interestingly enough, she was the one who bought me my first guitar.

I'm guessing she didn't think i would get this far. (and are still growing). XD

User Info Menu

Sitting on the couch last night, I played through "Detour Ahead," nice little solo arrangement im working on. She said nothing.

Decided to go grab a beer, before I put guitar down, I played the intro to "The Weight."

"Oh, that sounds nice" she said.

I don't invite my wife to my gigs. When I play, it's as if she can't hear me, and I'm grateful for that.
    She never tells me she likes what I play but every once in a while she'll say to a third party "It's really nice to have music in the house." That's high praise. I have three guitars and I'm always playing one or the other, all 7 strings, 15", 16" and fretless. So I'm not tempted to look for another...guitar or wife.

I knew someone who collected guitars. He had a really great collection I'll admit, but it seemed there was more in the hunt than in the possession. He had the attic and his wife didn't bother him. "If my wife knew what my collection consisted of, she'd have my head" he told me.
    "A few years ago I surprised her and had the whole downstairs remodeled, new panelling and cabinets. It was really so they could rebuild the attic. They put a false wall in and there's now a little room where I can keep new guitars."
    Don't ask. Don't tell. Somethings you could not come up with an explanation for. There's domestic tranquility.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Sitting on the couch last night, I played through "Detour Ahead," nice little solo arrangement im working on. She said nothing.

Decided to go grab a beer, before I put guitar down, I played the intro to "The Weight."

Right? I know that one. I'd be playing Foolish Heart, or Round Midnite or BWV 998 and it's background to the other side of the room. I play the intro to Rebel Rebel and she comes to life "You can really play when you want to."

User Info Menu

My S.O. says it "sounds like the radio" unless I'm experimenting with dissonance. She likes pretty stuff.

User Info Menu

People like what they know, and they know what they like. If they like what you are doing, count your blessings.

User Info Menu

My wife plays the piano pretty well (she passed grade 8 by the time she left school), she likes playing Bach and baroque stuff. I enjoy listening to her playing. She likes anything melodic, so jazz guitar is quite acceptable to her.

Nonetheless, in 30 years I have hardly ever commented on her playing, and she has never said anything much about mine.

Very British, really.

User Info Menu

I am fortunate to have a very supportive wife. She always positive about my playing, but she likes some things I do an not others. She likes my big band because of the arranger. She's indifferent to the Brazilian music I usually play. She likes jazz and she likes my limited vocal repertoire.

My son, on the other hand, once listened to a recording of a live show. Listened to a whole tune. When the applause at the end subsided he said, "the clapping had better time".

User Info Menu

My wife has seen me perform in concert with jazz luminary Larry Coryell (and some other top notch musicians), so she knows I am not a hack, but she seems more interested when I play classical pieces than jazz tunes.

We all like what we like....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Let me just put it like this ... while I was married I had my Gibson semi ... Now I am in the middle of buying my 10 guitar ... A PRS btw
    I hear you…my ex didn’t like my playing or my guitar(s).

First thing I did after the divorce, when I didn’t have a pot to pee in, was to get a guitar—Epi Joe Pass, which I paid $400 for. Most cost-effective mental health therapy ever invented.

And yes I have about 10-12 now, hard to keep track of—and my current lady doesn’t complain about my guitar hoarding as long as I don’t complain about her craft hoarding.

User Info Menu

My ex complained that ATTYA and Here's that Rainy Day sounded like the same song.

User Info Menu

I was playing Green Dolphin Street once and my wife thought I was playing ‘Food, Glorious Food’.

User Info Menu

My bride of 32 plus years did not mind the guitar. When we got married I was 25 and had 3 D'angelico New Yorkers ( only real ones then), and my Barkers. She I think understood what she was getting into for sure. She never minded my playing and she learn a lot about jazz and the guitar although never played the guitar ever. She tried taking piano lessons but found it very difficult. Bill Barker and Billy Cook his assistant took over Barker guitars played for our wedding reception is was all the good stuff too. Both playing Barker guitars and had a real bass player with the doghouse.

I remember the evening she lost her 10 battle with cancer and I actually had the guitar out and was sitting down playing some tunes in our room. It was really the only thing to do at the time and music seemed appropriate after the hospice nurse left. It has been almost 3 years and I posted something when she passed .I think I did not pick up the guitar for 6 days after this. I was a lucky person and there will never be another after her for sure. She even let me buy and I did sell guitars too. I still have 2 of the D'angelico's I let one go during my deacon seminary years. It was few years before the market crashed in 2008 and it made a few things easier for both of us financially.

I would trade all the guitars for her right now, but I am pretty sure she if she was here she would want me to at least have a good guitar to play. She could spot a nice archtop and like to hear melodies.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

This is my experience. Play a Motown tune she'll sing along. Play a jazz chord melody, .... silence.

User Info Menu

My girlfriend supports me really much in everything I doing. She herself likes jazz so she like to listen my playing. This helps me to move forward and become better.

User Info Menu

My wife overestimates my abilities. And she is a tone purist, so anytime I try a pedal or just the bridge pickup she tells me "the other tone was better". Every once in a while she gifts me with new guitars. Often after shopping for clothes. ;-)

User Info Menu

She just tells me I'm wonderful. She not stoopid

User Info Menu

I am very lucky, I married an accomplished musician. Violinist, pianist, vocalist. We often work together. But even SHE doesn't understand the "need" for so many guitars.