The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 54
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I am very lucky, I married an accomplished musician. Violinist, pianist, vocalist. We often work together. But even SHE doesn't understand the "need" for so many guitars.
    You should be glad piano players don't suffer from Piano Acquisition Syndrome.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    She just tells me I'm wonderful. She not stoopid
    I don't remember where I first heard this:
    God made women both beautiful and stupid...
    He made them beautiful so that men may fall in love with them...
    And made them stupid so that they would fall in love with a man.

Ouch?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    I’ve been to Brendel’s house (for a gig).

I reckon most pianists would collect Steinways if they could.

User Info Menu

I knew someone who collected guitars. . . . Don't ask. Don't tell. Somethings you could not come up with an explanation for. There's domestic tranquility.
    Not arguing -- everybody gets to hoe their own row.
    But I have to say that "full disclosure before landing" brought positive changes.

I stopped sneaking guitars years ago. The friction and anxiety that comes with lying or sneaking is just not worth it to me. They're not invisible and lend credence to the obvious question: 'What else are you lying about?'
    I just bite the bullet: "I sold two and bought one. I'm out a couple of hundred bucks on the deal. I'm down to five guitars now."

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    People like what they know, and they know what they like.
    Kathy likes smooth jazz much more than I do.
    There are no smooth jazz jokes at my house!

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    My wife has seen me perform in concert with jazz luminary Larry Coryell (and some other top notch musicians), so she knows I am not a hack
    Kathy knows I'm not a hack but she also knows I am not a jazz luminary.
    She puts up with straight-ahead jazz if it's good. If it's not good, it's not much fun for her to sit there while I play. I get that.
    It works both ways. Kathy works the TV remote. I often read a book through whatever she's watching. Sometimes I just stand up in the middle of a Hallmark movie and say, "Enjoy."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    There are no smooth jazz jokes at my house!
    Maybe that’s because there’s nothing funny about smooth jazz

I agree completely with you. My wife and I have always discussed what we buy beforehand. We’ve been sharing resources for half a century, and complete disclosure has been key to that sustainability. She used to sneak shoes and purses in, but it didn’t take her long to realize that it was both a waste of angst and potentially harmful to our mutual trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    I’ve been to Brendel’s house (for a gig).

I reckon most pianists would collect Steinways if they could.
    Nah. Fill my mansion with Bosendörfers

User Info Menu

We talk about our guitars. What about our significant others?
    Anyone wanna admit they collect those too?

Mine is supportive to the extent that she sees how important it is for me to be making music again though she probably thinks I'm spending too much time on it and disagrees about me spending money on multiple guitars. The last one in actually didn't spur any comments, either because she knows it wouldn't have made a difference, because she misunderstood how I acquired it, or because my last violin is finally well on the way of being sold (and, more importantly?, out of the house).
    She rarely comments on my playing other than remarks about how I still keep derailing at that same spot and how she'd like to hear me play an entire piece once in a while. Or a "that's pretty" when I play a passage with arpeggios. She will however address the cats who usually come join me when I'm studying, telling them it's so nice they enjoy the concert And the other day I watched part of a performance by Molly Tuttle & friends and she asked why I never played that. Kind of hard to find an answer to that beyond pointing out "that" isn't exactly solo repertoire and that I don't exactly have Molly's chops...
    Last edited by RJVB; 01-24-2022 at 12:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Well we DO have both a baby grand and a yamaha electric, two violins and a viola.

User Info Menu

"Could you please close the door"

User Info Menu

My SO is incredibly supportive and has always been. She knew what she was letting herself in for, and she knows that I need it. Besides, she is a singer herself and listening to singers practice isn't really a great musical experience.

She is also my sharpest critic, and not averse to buying a new guitar if she feels that it helps my playing. (Actually, a very good criterion since it stops me from lusting after guitars an spend my time practicing instead.)

If I practice a piece for weeks on end, she may occasionally ask me to stop, or play something else. OTOH, she may come and ask "what was that? That sounded really nice". Last time, I practiced the Brouwer Estudios Sencillos so that should give you an insight into her musical tastes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I am very lucky, I married an accomplished musician. Violinist, pianist, vocalist. We often work together. But even SHE doesn't understand the "need" for so many guitars.
    But we do end up in disagreements when practicing together.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Every once in a while she tells me I’m getting better
    Always a good sign!

User Info Menu

And even after 50 years, they never cease to surprise and amaze. I've been recording my trio's sets since I got a TASCAM DR40x a few months ago and was listening to one I'd just split into tracks when my wife came into the room. She asked me what I was doing and I explained, to which she replied "That's you guys? You're not bad!"

What does your partner think of your playing?-gone_insane-gif

User Info Menu

We live in the Netherlands where there is not much free space and houses are quite small. We are fortunate to own a big enough house for me to have a "guitar room / study". I can make all the noise I want to without her having to hear my practising, attempts and making mistakes, playing the same piece over and over again. I promised that the guitar collection will never exceed the number of 10 and a few amps whilst I am "allowed" to upgrade as I wish and she remembers my guitars by their colors. In short: I love her to death.
    How my guitar slat wall looks as per now
    What does your partner think of your playing?-img_0806-jpg

User Info Menu

I've been single for a decade lol. Some day..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hotpepper01
    We live in the Netherlands where there is not much free space and houses are quite small.
    I don't know where in the Netherlands you live, but after having lived in France for the past 25 years I am always surprised at how big the houses are "back home" (and not just in my old stomping grounds between Utrecht and Hilversum).

User Info Menu

She hates it but that's not why we divorced. She danced to Latin stuff. I hate Miami Sound Machine.
    She couldn't dance for shit to Cameo. It was embarrassing.

I don't know what became of her. She was rich so always on vacation. Get a damn job like everyone else.
    Don't marry a party girl.

User Info Menu

My ex was more funk-challenged than Eva Braun. I didn't care what she thought of my playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    I've been single for a decade lol. Some day..

36 years for me. It lasted about 6 weeks.

User Info Menu

My first wife went to every gig to "protect" me from the groupies. My second wife enjoys the music.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    My first wife went to every gig to "protect" me from the groupies. My second wife...
    Hilarious

Sorry, probably not that funny at the time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    My first wife went to every gig to "protect" me from the groupies. My second wife enjoys the music.
    Marinero
    Last time I heard from my ex she was in Hawaii trying to get me to go to an orgy.
    They were going to fly me there like a celebrity. There was a bandmate and 7 women. They called an R&B agency to fly me there.

I'm from Buffalo. I went back there and got a real job.
    About 10 years later I asked the bandmate, what were you guys doing in Hawaii?
    He said, trashing hotel rooms.

OK. Do your thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Last time I heard from my ex she was in Hawaii trying to get me to go to an orgy.
    They were going to fly me there like a celebrity. There was a bandmate and 7 women. They called an R&B agency to fly me there.

About 10 years later I asked the bandmate, what were you guys doing in Hawaii?
    He said, trashing hotel rooms.

OK. Do your thing.
    Women in Hawaii or a job in Buffalo?
    Everyone has a missed opportunity at some point in their lives.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Sounds like the makings of a song

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Women in Hawaii or a job in Buffalo?
    Everyone has a missed opportunity at some point in their lives.
    My 15 minutes of fame lasted for 6 horrifying months starting in Sept. 85';

Yakuza: Japan's Criminal Underworld - David E. Kaplan, Alec Dubro, vid E. Kaplan - Google Books

Oda. That was the ex's last name. I wonder if they were related. I doubt it. She seemed like an aristocrat.

She was after a bandmate and sent me back to Buffalo. I met Mr. and Mrs. Yamamoto. They suggested there was trouble in Osaka.