The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

BTW, latest from Ebay is that they erroneously sent me tax documents because they thought at one point that I sold over $20k of merch last year. They realized the mistake and apologized. Account is still blocked, however. That is permanent.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    FWIW, I've never worried about losing a little bit of money on a long used item. I look at it as a real bargain for being able to use something for a long time at a very low "rental" cost.
    i agree! In the last year, I’ve sold all my MIDI hardware that predated USB, all of the heavy stuff I kept when we sold the house 7 years ago, and all of the guitars I no longer played regularly or needed for specialty gigs that I won’t ever play again.

I “lost” money on paper, but not as much as I feared I would - and times change. An analog synth was expensive in 1990 and I got my money’s worth long ago. The original rack mount Roland XV2020 was a great synthesizer, but it’s not worth much today because better ones come in pedals. I got $200 for it and I used it for over 20 years. Altogether, I got enough back to pay for a new Alesis Q88 Mk 2, a DV Raw Dawg 250, and a TASCAM digital recorder. Numbers be damned - that’s not a loss, it’s a win!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    i agree! In the last year, I’ve sold all my MIDI hardware that predated USB, all of the heavy stuff I kept when we sold the house 7 years ago, and all of the guitars I no longer played regularly or needed for specialty gigs that I won’t ever play again.

I “lost” money on paper, but not as much as I feared I would - and times change. An analog synth was expensive in 1990 and I got my money’s worth long ago. The original rack mount Roland XV2020 was a great synthesizer, but it’s not worth much today because better ones come in pedals. I got $200 for it and I used it for over 20 years. Altogether, I got enough back to pay for a new Alesis Q88 Mk 2, a DV Raw Dawg 250, and a TASCAM digital recorder. Numbers be damned - that’s not a loss, it’s a win!
    I've left money on the table a couple of times, but it has always been hypothetical since I each time I was making the deal that was in front of me at the time I wanted to make the sale or purchase, not some hypothetical better one. And all the stuff I've sold or traded for hypothetically less than it was worth was stuff I had paid fairly little for (in some cases $0) in the first place. So the total cost of ownership was low (or nothing), and and it was in service of getting stuff I wanted more. So I don't sweat it. Also, it's kind of funny to be sweating overpaying/underselling for stuff that costs less than stuff I actually don't care about at all. I mean I have cellphones and kitchen gadgets that cost more than some of my guitars, and I never gave the cost of those a second thought (OK, maybe I did ...). The last thing I'm going to do is beat myself up because I got $100 less than I might have for some crap I don't use anymore or paid $100 "too much" for some instrument I love a lot more than a blender.

User Info Menu

You have to talk to someone you're going to do a multi-thousand dollar deal with. If there are any flags, I back away. I'll buy from CL locally. Or drive a few hours. Always in a very public place in daylight on a busy road. And always after making sure it looks like things are on the up and up. And if I can't take the truss rod cover off to check.. forget it.

And even when things look good remote is hard. I recently almost bought a ES175 in Canada. Seller had a good reputation on Reverb (was not a Reverb sale), had a good history on a forum, and had multiple guitars for sale. However, he wanted cash as opposed to Paypal. I can understand why if he's ever been burnt by a dishonest buyer abusing the system. But I don't do cash remotely. Too many things can go wrong that aren't anyone's fault and I need at least a little protection.

Wish it was easier. Don't want to leave it all for my wife to deal with.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    A Robert Johnson commemorative stamp was issued in the '90s. He was smoking a cigarette in the picture chosen for the stamp, but that was determined to be a no-no. So he had to quit:

Attachment 88082
    They did the same thing to Jackson Pollack, and he couldn't even play guitar!