The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Hi all,

first post here, hope this is the right place.

I'm looking for a jazz guitar album like John Coltrane -- Ballads (
    ). Thanks for helping out.

Cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Are you talking the overall feel, mood, of an all ballads album, or an album where the guitar player plays ballads and sticks only very close to the melody?

If it's the former, Jonathan Kriesberg's "Night Songs" would be of interest...if it's the latter, I haven't heard it.

User Info Menu

It's kind of difficult to find, but check out Kevin Eubanks "Angel" CD. Two acoustic guitars, very lyrical and minimal

User Info Menu

Oh good, another chance for me to recommend Johnny Smith Moonlight in Vermont.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    One of those albums that is always the correct answer

User Info Menu

Are you familiar with Pure Desmond? One of those rare blends of rich production values (easy to listen to) and understated, simply beautiful and masterful playing. Ed Bikert shines, Paul Desmond, the master of melodic solos.

User Info Menu

Jim Hall and Red Mitchell did a duo. Like the Coltrane Ballads, filled with intimate and really great playing that makes live jazz essential, and with these two, it's easy on the ears yet so smart.

George Shearing paired up with Jim Hall for this thoroughly gorgeous duo album. Through and through a gem

User Info Menu

Pharoah Sanders' Welcome to Love is, for me, the most worthy companion to Coltrane's Ballads.
    No guitar on this but phrase by phrase, he proves he's a worthy heir to the Coltrane legacy, and he takes it out, so beautifully that you'd never know this guy could make that tenor scream.

User Info Menu

Karyn Allison is a vocalist who, to my ear, captures that exquisite vibe of Ballads in her recording of Coltrane's Ballads album, offering vocal renditions of that very album. And she sings like a sax player playing like a vocalist.

User Info Menu

John Scofield’s A Moment’s Peace comes to mind for a similar vibe.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Kenny Burrell's Lotus Blossom is quite in the mood mostly... not only ballads but it has very intimate and quiet feel in general.

I also like various bass+guitar duos like Charlie Haden and Jim Hall, Jim Hall and Ron Carter, Red Mitchell and Joe Pass, concert version of Charlie Haden and Pat Metheny (on studio version too many of corny synths)...
    And definitely Bill Frisell and Thomas Morgan duo
    Small two part concert on youtube of Larry Grenadier and John Scofield

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    Kenny Burrell's Lotus Blossom is quite in the mood mostly... not only ballads but it has very intimate and quiet feel in general.

I also like various bass+guitar duos like Charlie Haden and Jim Hall, Jim Hall and Ron Carter, Red Mitchell and Joe Pass, concert version of Charlie Haden and Pat Metheny (on studio version too many of corny synths)...
    And definitely Bill Frisell and Thomas Morgan duo
    Small two part concert on youtube of Larry Grenadier and John Scofield
    Fred Hersch also has great duo history with great guitarists. He did one with Bill Frisell, and another with Julian Lage, and an unreleased one with Mick Goodrick.
    Horace Parlan and Archie Shepp have a long history of gorgeous duo and quartet albums that run the gamut from spirituals to ballads.

User Info Menu

David Liebman " Classic Ballads"
    David Liebman-soprano saxophone
    Vic Juris-guitar
    Steve Gilmore-bass

User Info Menu

It is not always with guitarists but many Charlie Haden's projects have overall very quiet vibe... especially his duo records.

User Info Menu

So what are the constraints anyway?

User Info Menu

I know there are Kenney Burrell with Coltrane records, but I don't know how much of them are ballads.

https://www.amazon.com/Kenny-Burrell.../dp/B000000YGR

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Stud.../dp/B07MWXTTGQ

User Info Menu

'Trane and Johnny Hartman.......

OK so it's no guitar and w/ a singer, but - - ' My One and Only Love ' is just as good as it gets...

Then :

......sorry, but 'Trane or Miles playing a ballad - esp. with each other, is just too good.....

Hope that helps....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Yea, that is a good one!

User Info Menu

Looking for a jazz guitar album like John Coltrane -- Ballads-cobb-jpg