The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Stroke I had a stroke in mid October, affecting my right side. I’m doing very well. While lying in hospital I visualized my left hand playing tunes, it’s all muscle memory. So when I got home after figuring out how to strap on the guitar one-handed I plugged it in turn it up loud put a string damper on and hammered on the notes. Some came through quite clearly, enough to hear the basis of the tune. It’s not terribly satisfying but it does keep all those tunes in the muscles I was wondering if anyone Has a more effective way of getting the strings to sound out more?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by robbro@coastwifi.com
    Stroke I had a stroke in mid October, affecting my right side. I’m doing very well. While lying in hospital I visualized my left hand playing tunes, it’s all muscle memory. So when I got home after figuring out how to strap on the guitar one-handed I plugged it in turn it up loud put a string damper on and hammered on the notes. Some came through quite clearly, enough to hear the basis of the tune. It’s not terribly satisfying but it does keep all those tunes in the muscles I was wondering if anyone Has a more effective way of getting the strings to sound out more?
    A thousand hopes for your recovery! Tapping is all I know of. Hang in there, robbro!

User Info Menu

Wish you a speedy healing ! You probably already knew this:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by robbro@coastwifi.com
    Pure dedication and desire; kudos to you.

User Info Menu

Keep your positive attitude and best of luck in the future!

User Info Menu

While I don't have an answer to your question about the hand, I empathise. My mother suffered a terrible one under the knife several years ago and lost the use of her entire right side, from shoulder to foot. I hope you'll be ok.

User Info Menu

thanks for the thoughts. I am sure your father will improve

User Info Menu

https://www.stanleyjordan.com/Technique/starting.html

This links to an explanation of how Stanley Jordan gets notes with one hand. It explains some things about setting up the guitar.

Hope it's helpful.

User Info Menu

Isn't that exactly what a compressor does; keep volume of all notes with a certain window?