The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I received a Boss RC-5 looper pedal for Christmas. I love my family!

It has 99 memory slots, so I'd like to load it up with backing tracks of jazz standards and blues progressions, for use as soloing practice.

Can anyone recommend sources of such backing tracks?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Waves generated by Band in The Box.
    These files have a stable metronome tempo.

User Info Menu

The Jamey Aebersold line is still one of the best if not THE best in my book .... the tempo is FIXED but it's a REAL group of musicians, with an authentic feel.

jazzbooks.com: Product Details

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    The Jamey Aebersold line is still one of the best if not THE best in my book .... the tempo is FIXED but it's a REAL group of musicians, with an authentic feel.

jazzbooks.com: Product Details
    If you upload the whole wave to the looper ... it's ok.
    but these are not exact metronome recordings.

User Info Menu

There are thousands of backing tracks available on YouTube. The audio can be downloaded if you want.

User Info Menu

Thanks. Some great feedback here.

I will try a bit of each of the suggestions above. I’m sure with some experience i will figure out whats right for me.

User Info Menu

Maybe with this looper, you could go like > play chords>play solo (chords get played back by the looper)>play newround of chords (your solo gets played back)> etc etc

I'm using a DAW with a 32 or 24 measure delay for such practice.

Just an idea.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    Maybe with this looper, you could go like > play chords>play solo (chords get played back by the looper)>play newround of chords (your solo gets played back)> etc etc

I'm using a DAW with a 32 or 24 measure delay for such practice.

Just an idea.

This is the best way to use a looper, then you're practicing comping too, even if it's just for the 90 seconds it takes you to play though the changes.

User Info Menu

I hear you that you're psyched to use your new looper but it sounds to me like what you need to do is to checkout iReal Pro and download it to your phone or ipad/tablet. You can access pretty much any chord chart you want, change the tempo, the key, the style of the backing track and the mix, and select specific parts of the song to repeat and the number of times to repeat, plus a few other features. And all for about $15. Then you can use your looper to create your own loops to play against.