The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes, neat story; There is already a thread here about this that was created about 6 months ago.

But still, anything about Kessell and Forman is a good thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    Yes, neat story; There is already a thread here about this that was created about 6 months ago.

But still, anything about Kessell and Forman is a good thing.
    In my defense, I did a search before posting...

Thanks for the good vibes!

User Info Menu

Looking forward to my vinyl copy of the new album 'Reunion!' arriving in the post any day now!

User Info Menu

More Bruce Forman!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by furtom
    In my defense, I did a search before posting...

Thanks for the good vibes!
    You're welcome and good vibes back at you, as well as happy new year.

I'm waiting for Forman to come to So Cal with that guitar so I can see him play it. I have seen Forman many times but mostly with him playing that red guitar of his (can't recall the model since I'm not much of a gear guy).

I have seen Kessell play that guitar, twice. Once as part of a Great Guitar Tour (but Herb Ellis was sick so it was only Kessell and Byrd), and once with Kessell, bass and drums.

That was my favorite guitar trio concert because Kessell was so engaging with the audience and I had a front row seat!

User Info Menu

That’s regret #1 for me; never heard/saw Barney in person… and I do love his playing.
    #2 was I had tickets for Joe Pass in *our* hometown New Brunswick NJ. I got the flu.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    That’s regret #1 for me; never heard/saw Barney in person… and I do love his playing.
    #2 was I had tickets for Joe Pass in *our* hometown New Brunswick NJ. I got the flu.
    Bummer! My #1 regret was never seeing Jimmy Raney. If he ever toured on the west coast (of the USA), back in the mid-70s \ early 80s, I didn't hear about it and I never went east to see him play there. Otherwise I have seen most of the old-time greats that were still touring back in those years (like Tal, Cal Collins, Mundell Lowe, Kenny, Howard Roberts).

User Info Menu

Bummer! My #1 regret was never seeing Jimmy Raney. If he ever toured on the west coast (of the USA), back in the mid-70s \ early 80s, I didn't hear about it and I never went east to see him play there. Otherwise I have seen most of the old-time greats that were still touring back in those years (like Tal, Cal Collins, Mundell Lowe, Kenny, Howard Roberts).
    those last three were all LA guys, at least for a while right?
    Last edited by Donplaysguitar; 01-01-2022 at 01:18 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    those last three were all LA guys, at least for a while right?
    Correct (Mundell, Burrell, and Howard Roberts) were local LA guys. Mundell and Roberts played often at Donte's and Burrell at various places and at UCLA where he was a teacher.

User Info Menu

Correct (Mundell, Burrell, and Howard Roberts) were local LA guys. Mundell and Roberts played often at Donte's and Burrell at various places and at UCLA where he was a teacher.
    How fortunate to be in NYC or LA during jazz’s bigger days. I can’t claim either but I’ve made many more trips to both than the average flyover country person. Richer for it.

User Info Menu

The Reunion album is great. Been listening to it the last few days on Spotify.

User Info Menu

I met Barney Kessell, Johnny Smith, and Tommy Tedesco when I lived in Tucson in the 1970's and 80's. I studied for many years with a great jazz guitarist who had played with the Big Bands. He was friends with Barney, Johnny, and Tommy, and made arrangements for them to conduct jazz guitar workshops in Tucson. I found all three to be friendly and easy to talk to. My instructor is gone now, and I miss those days.

Thump on,

One_Dude