The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 110 of 110

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    I think it's only excessive if one doesn't have a vision or an evolving set of aesthetics. I remember my first girlfriend. Our time was spent on primarily one thing, if my memory serves me. It didn't seem excessive at the time, as a matter of fact, I just couldn't get enough. It was right for the time. I'm glad I was fortunate to have had that "learning experience".
    Some time later, I worked a job at a fast food burger chain. THAT was excessive. I remember thinking "If I practiced as hard as I work making burgers, I'd be really good by now!". Every night I'd go home so exhausted that I couldn't touch my guitar.
    That experience taught me that I should be possessive of my time and that experience in hell-on-earth prepared me for a life as a musician.
    We are judged by how we use our time. Jazznylon, go for it. Only you will know what will come of your use of time. In the end, it's not about anybody's advice on a silly forum.
    Keep in mind Frank Zappa's advice.
    Jimmy,
    You're comparing Pu--sy to Hamburgers??????????? At least, perhaps, Coq Au Vin . . . Braised oxtails in red wine sauce . . . Escargot with fresh French bread and a White Bordeaux . . .
    Marinero

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB

Did he also say "Do as I say, not as I do"?
    Ha! Well, nicotine and caffeine, yes, but Frank was always anti-drugs! "Weird" doesn't mean "stoned!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Ha! Well, nicotine and caffeine, yes, but Frank was always anti-drugs! "Weird" doesn't mean "stoned!"
    Frank knew what he was doing and he did it full time. He was a smart guy and a hard worker and he had no patience for what he perceived as dabblers or poseurs. He was very articulate but when it came time for serious music, yeah he knew how to shut up and play the guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Would it be kinky if I dared you to show us your fingertips?
    I play nylon string so unfortunatedly its nothing too erotic

User Info Menu

I strongly believe that with a well designed personal practice formula for 12 hours might work.
    But can't imagine doing scales for 12 hours and.. this sounds craaaazy. Not crazy at first. But a bit later. When the gains are not so obvious anymore.
    The mind likes gains, puzzles, but most of all - feelings. If it gets dry, it doesn't even want to play along after a while. Thats where the numbness comes from.
    Hm. Just an observation of myself. But people are so different.

User Info Menu

Hmmm , how can people be practicing for like 8 hours a day?

If they can fair play but that level is not for me for a number of reasons:

- tired hands, back ache etc.
    - got other things to do in life
    - I find that after maybe 2 hours I stop learning or caring. Better to do 4 2 hour sessions over a few days to allow things to sink in and muscle memory to develop as u sleep.

And I dunno and I mean no offence by this but if I met someone who was doing 12 hours a day I'd kind of question their sanity.... like they've got a bit of an unhealthy obsession and are overworking themselves to their detriment in a number of ways.
    E.g. Charlie Parker was one who famously did something like 14 hours a day. Whist the music is amazing, he didn't turn out well personally.

User Info Menu

Not to pile on, but repetitive marathon practice sessions have been studied over and over in both the context of pro sports and musicianship (where the parallels have also been extensively studied). The consensus is that they are counter productive and serve little more than the ego of the coach/athlete.

If you want to progress, and have the luxury to devote your full time to guitar, you should build a dozen different exercises like learning melodies, chord grips, theory, scales, triads, etc., and practice each between 20-60 min at a time with plenty of breaks to relax your muscles, clear your mind, eat/drink and exercise. Trying to practice scales for twelve hours makes for great “when I was your age I…” type stories for when you’re old, but isn’t an effective strategy for rapid progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Here's my advice: Learn songs. In the end, you are your song list. No one will pay you to perform technical exercises. They will, however, gladly pay you for a show - that means songs. All the bells & whistles stuff are icing on the cake, tinsel on the tree, etc. etc. You need something to play. Otherwise, why would anyone want to listen? Songs contain all the technical information you will need in an efficiently mnemonic form. All the greats (and the not-so-greats) have something in common - they can fill 4-45minute sets with songs.
    Obvious thing is obvious. Self-evident.

Sincerely- Good Luck!

User Info Menu

I reckon try to 'play' not practice. Ie sit down and just enjoy playing... but don't get in the rut of never moving on with ur material, always have an eye on making some new stuff up or refining something else.
    That way I can easily spend hours, but not 12 no way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Trane would shed in the dressing room or even bathroom on breaks
    Shed his clothing, or his skin?