The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 110

User Info Menu

“Strategy to plan”.

Meaning, start with specific goals (strategy). Map those abstract goals to prioritized and sequenced plans. Break those plans into prioritized and sequenced activities and steps - and then take off and dig in!

Kind of like a leveled instrumental study plan of technique and repertoire. (Who knew?!).

But seriously, effort is not the measure of success, it’s the results that count. If anything, efficiency and time savings in reaching the desired goals are desired/valuable. Rest assured, if the goals are lofty the effort will be substantial. The necessary hours per day level of investment will reveal itself.
    Last edited by Donplaysguitar; 01-15-2022 at 03:43 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello everyone its been a long time. I've been practicing guitar on and off with the new medication to see what works and what doesn't and found out that practicing 12 hours a day (or close to) is my absolute limit as far as practice duration goes. I've attempted 15 hours but it turns out I need my 11 hours of sleep to actually feel rested (my psychologist recommended).

Why am I doing this you may ask? Inspiration. I'm inspired by the long hours the greats put towards their instrument Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Paco de Lucia etc. So I might as well do it too. Theres nothing else to do anyways and I tried applying for a few jobs but always found doing those jobs more mentally taxing than practicing my instrument so here I am. The life of a musician is for me there is no other alternative. Time to sink or swim

I'll probably do this everyday for a couple of years (3-4) and see where I end up. I have my material plan ready and will end up with a teacher later down the road. I will drop by the forum during lunch breaks to see whats new but other than that yeah.. I will be practicing guitar for 12 hours everyday starting tommorow!

Wish me luck

User Info Menu

Twelve hours is not practice. It is a job.

Parker was dead at 34, Coltrane at 40. Paco de Lucia made it to 66. If you need heroes, they should be people who lived long and loved life.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazznylon
    Hello everyone its been a long time. I've been practicing guitar on and off with the new medication to see what works and what doesn't and found out that practicing 12 hours a day (or close to) is my absolute limit as far as practice duration goes. I've attempted 15 hours but it turns out I need my 11 hours of sleep to actually feel rested (my psychologist recommended).

Why am I doing this you may ask? Inspiration. I'm inspired by the long hours the greats put towards their instrument Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Paco de Lucia etc. So I might as well do it too. Theres nothing else to do anyways and I tried applying for a few jobs but always found doing those jobs more mentally taxing than practicing my instrument so here I am. The life of a musician is for me there is no other alternative. Time to sink or swim

I'll probably do this everyday for a couple of years (3-4) and see where I end up. I have my material plan ready and will end up with a teacher later down the road. I will drop by the forum during lunch breaks to see whats new but other than that yeah.. I will be practicing guitar for 12 hours everyday starting tommorow!

Wish me luck
    Practice is fine, but playing with others is better.

Practice prepares you for the second thing. The second thing is the real learning experience.

User Info Menu

When was in music college for classical guitar, I practiced so much I developed very bad bursitis in my right shoulder. Probably just bad technique. Had to quit playing for several months to recover. Did a lot of left hand exercises on the fretboard without using my right arm.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Twelve hours is not practice. It is a job.
    I can't remember the number of hours of practice that was always cited to me as a "do you think you're cut out for it" argument for entering conservatory. But I'm pretty certain it was less than 12h/day. And it included group practice ... and probably the time spent with teacher(s).

If I understand correctly the OP doesn't yet have a teacher. I haven't read through the entire thread but I wouldn't be surprised if that explains his need for medication...

Wish me luck

User Info Menu

Wish me luck
    Hi, J,
    If I had to guess . . . I'd say you're in your 20's . . . right? So, I'm basing my comments with that in mind since if you're older, my comments would be quite different. Ergo: 1.) I've never known a real musician who practices 12 hours a day. The reason is threefold: 1.) it's mentally impossible to stay fresh and work on difficult material, 2.) it will destroy your hands, and 3.) it's not needed to achieve your goals. Secondly, there is a distinction between Romance and Reality. I also read about Coltrane/Parker's 12-hour woodshedding but as a former full-time saxer, I believe it's more fiction than fact. As a woodwind player, your hands would be fine but you'd blow your lips out after even 6-8 continuous hours of play every day. And, Coltrane blew a "Five and Five": An Otto Link #5 mouthpiece and a Rico Royal #5 reed. What that translates to the uninitiated is a huge sound that requires a huge amount of physical effort(air volume/velocity) to play. When I was at my peak, I blew a Meyer #5 mouthpiece with a Rico Royal #4 reed and believe me . . . the average player could not play my horn with good sound. So, 12 hours every day . . . hmmmmmm. Finally, 3-4 years. How did you arrive at that number? I was bitten by this romantic notion in my 20's and lived an artist's ascetic existence as I watched real jobs in Music disappearing monthly. The efforts were huge and the rewards meager. Better get a skill set along your path since life can change abruptly Good luck . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

The other bit of advice should be to move to Nashville as soon as you can, get just a good at networking as you are at guitar too. The charismatic guy with half the talent will always get the job.

User Info Menu

12 hours/day would be great if you really know what you're doing.
    When I started doing this, I thought I had the practice routines worked out quite well. But... hm. No.
    Leave some time free to ponder about the practicing habits and try new stuff always.
    I found out there is maybe about 1000x more things to do than in the beginning
    Mostly optional. But options are good.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the update, @jazznylon!

Hmm, so, practicing for 12 hrs/day, without a teacher, without a band, without a job, for a few more years ... until what? You're going to collapse, burn out completely on music, or worse, and I'm afraid you won't be able to check back in with us after three years. This wasn't healthy for Trane or Parker, and I'm not sure it will be healthy for you. I appreciate your openness on this thread, and with everything you've shared, I question this as a "solution."

Peace,
    Marc

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB

If I understand correctly the OP doesn't yet have a teacher. I haven't read through the entire thread but I wouldn't be surprised if that explains his need for medication...

Oh no its not that bad! I just needed to work on something first before getting a teacher thats all

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Thanks for the update, @jazznylon!

Hmm, so, practicing for 12 hrs/day, without a teacher, without a band, without a job, for a few more years ... until what? You're going to collapse, burn out completely on music, or worse, and I'm afraid you won't be able to check back in with us after three years. This wasn't healthy for Trane or Parker, and I'm not sure it will be healthy for you. I appreciate your openness on this thread, and with everything you've shared, I question this as a "solution."

Peace,
    Marc
    I'm not sure myself but getting a band would be a good start after I do all the practicing of course

User Info Menu

I'm not sure myself but getting a band would be a good start after I do all the practicing of course
    No, better to play with others while practicing, not after. Same with getting a teacher ..

User Info Menu

Why am I doing this you may ask? Inspiration. I'm inspired by the long hours the greats put towards their instrument Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Paco de Lucia etc. So I might as well do it too.
    Wish me luck
    Works for some people. It's absolutely disastrous for others.
    You know, of course, the people you cite as your inspirations and role models did NOT follow a linear path, and they gave themselves time to evolve before they synthesized their own approach?
    I congradulate you on your spirit and commitment. I have seen many players study content unwisely; ignorant of any reason for what they wanted to accomplish.
    What are the guiding forces in your own music? Is it rhythmic? What filters determine that fine shaping line that makes you different? How do you relate to Trane's life and have your eyes and ears been shaped by things that give MEANING to your playing?
    If you were a playwright, would studying Shakespeare, Wilde, Beckett, Stoppard obsessively make you a great screen play writer?
    Tell me about the SHAPING forces in your music, in your studies, and tell me how the non linearity of becoming an artist fits into the musician you're hoping to become.
    I ask this of a lot of my friends: "When is the last time you discovered something that redefined what music is to you, in theory and in practice?"
    It's an amazing revelation to hear what Julian Lage, Sco, Friz, Ben tell me.

It's very different from what they thought when they were younger.

User Info Menu

Trane would shed in the dressing room or even bathroom on breaks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Works for some people. It's absolutely disastrous for others.
    I agree with this comment but I have to break from the pack...case in point 40+ years ago I was "living" from my guitar playing and always had a guitar in my hands if I was not sleeping or washing or ...We were gigging all the time and in between sets I was still playing...everything , anything..hours days months....every waking hour....well almost, then I met my first wife (the attraction of the guitar that I brought to parties .....then my second (we're still here) and the kids came along and so on. ...I was not even as old as your 28 yrs!.... ended up with a "real" job 'cause I had to.....still in music though (sound recording, engineering and design for classical productions), but not playing anymore.. I never thought much about it because my job was so interesting and creative but, what did I do when I retired a few months back? right back where I stopped and could not enjoy it more ....same regimen..always a guitar in hands (ok I do alternate with a golf club in the summer) ...I'm typing this mid strumming and learning all over again....

At your age I thought the same thing..30 is my max if I can't achieve it by then move on, but, Wes was nearly 40 when he broke out on his own (and still held a welder's day job to support his family) .. I have never seen or heard of a YOUNG Herb Ellis! and the Colonel (KFC) was 50ish when his 11 herbs etc ..so! YMMV, but, don't despair....keep the hours balanced, some, intensive mentally, others, just to keep the fingers nimble....

Ray

User Info Menu

There is always one story of why one great musician became who they did. It's knowing what THEY thought were the fundamentals and following their own reductive and expansive choices.
    If you find something you love, it can take you to some application of the rule book that nobody else has thought of before.
    There is always one story of why a particular recording is seen as iconic, but that "performance" is merely 4 minutes out of their life.
    Understand the process, practice finding something you never expected to find and use that to craft an individual sound, an internal set of rules that governs your own note choice.
    And jazznylon, as you go through your practice time, share with us your revelations "Ex: Today at the three hour mark, my hand cramped up, I went outside, noticed how the clouds move in layers and create new shapes. Today I'm going to finally crack that poly rhythm nut, shapes over shapes, meters over meter."
    That kind of stuff, that will be lovely. Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    And jazznylon, as you go through your practice time, share with us your revelations "Ex: Today at the three hour mark, my hand cramped up,
    Strangely enough, with my arthritis it's the total opposite.....I never cramp up from practising...... Often times in the morning the fingers just won't bend without pain but the more I play the better they get.The only barrier is I just can't play my 17 in archtop for more than 20-30 minutes tops... that hurts my back big time.....I'll have to get a Joe D. couch

Ray

User Info Menu

Out of curiosity, what would a 10 hour daily practice schedule contain?

User Info Menu

There's a major trouble with long hours of practice time. The mind gets lazy. Won't apply the full attention. Kinda fine to be "postponing" the results too.
    The attitude may be useless from the beginning. I have experienced this so many times. That automation-loop-trap.

User Info Menu

".The only barrier is I just can't play my 17 in archtop for more than 20-30 minutes tops... that hurts my back big time.." RayS

Hi, R,
    Buy a semi.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Or try using a strap when seated, if you don't already. It helps keep your back straight, if you position everything accordingly.

User Info Menu

So far so good I practiced 12 hours yesterday now doing it everyday? Thats the hard part. I have ocd so that probably explains how I'm able to do such tasks (medication too).

@marcwhy I'll think about it.

@alter I've been using the advancing guitarist book working on scales in 12 keys

@truthhertz So far I think the advancing guitarist book greatly shaped me on how I approach things as an artist, particularly the single string playing idea and major thirds tuning (indirectly speaking)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Or try using a strap when seated, if you don't already. It helps keep your back straight, if you position everything accordingly.
    Hi, G,
    You've been reading de Sade lately???
    Marinero

P.S. May I recommend "Justine?"
    M

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    P.S. May I recommend "Justine?"
    M
    Thanks M!

Is it good? Did you enjoy yourself reading it?

G.