The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Speaking of the Beatles, there's no doubt that their songs are great for interpretation, particularly in the jazz realm. Here are some jazz covers that come to mind.

Al DiMeola playing Strawberry Fields--one of his more successful interpretations from the album. Interestingly, the album is called Across the Universe, but he does not actually include that song on the album.

Wes playing Eleanor Rigby:

The great voice of George Benson taking over Golden Slumbers:

John Pizzarelli on Here Comes the Sun...he also did an album of Paul McCartney covers:

Brad Mehldau playing Blackbird:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Larry Coryell - She's Leaving Home

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Frisell

User Info Menu

I think I was exposed to this on the forum.

User Info Menu

I think that this one is outstanding.

User Info Menu

Gene Bertoncini

George Van Eps (several Beatles songs on this LP. The story goes that when George was recording this, the record company demanded that they play Beatles tunes. He and the other musicians felt the melodies were acceptable but the songs were boring, so they reharmonized them. Someone presented the recordings to the Beatles, who happened to be in the same building, and apparently they were pretty upset that someone desecrated their tunes...).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Gene Bertoncini

George Van Eps (several Beatles songs on this LP. The story goes that when George was recording this, the record company demanded that they play Beatles tunes. He and the other musicians felt the melodies were acceptable but the songs were boring, so they reharmonized them. Someone presented the recordings to the Beatles, who happened to be in the same building, and apparently they were pretty upset that someone desecrated their tunes...).

Didn't the same thing happen with the show tune composers?

User Info Menu

Some of 'em. IIRC Cole porter hated jazzers interpreting his tunes as did (I think) Neal Hefti.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Gene Bertoncini

The George Van Eps is great. I can’t IMAGINE (no pun intended) the Beatles being upsets at that. Pretty faithful adaptations, especially Yesterday, which was made for chord-melody.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy

I have that Crusader’s album on vinyl. From 1975, and it’s timeless.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I heard Merv Griffin tell his story several tines about how in an audition before Richard Rodgers he went into his jazz/big band styled “My Romance“. He said Rodgers told hin ‘kid thats not my song’ and threw him out.
    (Full disclosure mom jk watched Griffin faithfully every night on the ol Zenith. At least i learned that, and of course, “the quality goes in before the name goes on”
    jk