The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Could such ideas also apply to the guitar?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A lot of Guitarists like to have several instruments, amps, pedals, and a wide palette of sounds. But yes, many guitarists have a signature sound, which has to do with touch I think.

User Info Menu

Fun vid, thanks for posting!
    Except for some bass-specific ideas (like locking the thumb), most of this makes sense for guitar.

User Info Menu

Totally makes sense. Lack of tension. Economy of motion. What's not to like? And a recipe for a long trouble-free life of playing.

User Info Menu

I like the "practice without an amp" part. It helps refine the touch. I practice with an amp as well (before 10 PM ). Everything is in the mundane details.

User Info Menu

There's obviously a lot that plays into a guitar player's sound, but just taking some time each day to play a few notes and just focusing on the sound you make with your hands is pretty important.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Could such ideas also apply to the guitar?

Just saw this, K,
    It applies to every instrument regardless of genre. Most guitarists have a generic sound. It's partially due to faulty technique, lack of live performances as a building block, and lack of courage and creativity in their playing. . . "Geez, Bob . . . he sounds just like . . ." Serious musicians search for a lifetime and few find their voice. However, how many baseball players hit .350 or pitchers throw 100 mph?
    McBride is what I call a savant and played professionally in his teens. He was headed to Julliard and quickly hit the road with Bobby Watson and the rest is history. Any musician worth his/her peanuts searches for a voice. The Muses are very selective in their choices.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

wow...
    Bobby Watson...look at this: