The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

I stumbled on a cool duo recording of Giovanni Hidalgo and Michel Camilo the other day.

Giovanni Hidalgo ?– Hands Of Rhythm Featuring Michel Camilo - YouTube

It occurred to me that I can't call to mind any such guitar + drum/perc. recordings.
    That's where you all come in, what's out there for me to check out.
    Thanks in advance.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wolfgang Muthspiel and Brian Blade!!

User Info Menu

Jimmy Garrison didn't show up for one of the sessions on the Lady Coryell abum by Larry Coryell, so Elvin Jones and LC played "Stiff Neck" without a bass player, just guitar and drums.

I wonder what it would've sounded like with a bass player?

User Info Menu

John McLaughlin and Billy Cobham:

User Info Menu

The White Stripes.

I'll get my coat.
    Last edited by Litterick; 10-29-2021 at 02:34 AM.

The Coryell + Elvin Jones song mentioned.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Luiz Bonfa.

User Info Menu

This starts off with Charlie Christian and Dave Tough:

User Info Menu

Listening right now to Trio! by Chico Hamilton. No bass player: guitar, drums, sax; and a couple of cuts are just drums and guitar.

User Info Menu

Also, Charlie Hunter has done a couple of guitar-drum duo albums.

User Info Menu

Perfect timing for this thread: new release by Miles Okazaki -- you guessed it, guitar and drums!

Duo is a very personal setting while also highlighting 1:1 interaction.

Thanks for all the new drum/perc. + guitar suggestions to check out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bako

The Coryell + Elvin Jones song mentioned.

Thanks
    You've got to give credit to LC for making the best out of a bad situation. Jimmy Garrison was caught up in traffic for hours, and Vanguard was paying a lot of money for the studio time, so LC made a duo recording of it.
    I transcribed that head and jammed on it with the only jazz drummer in my HS. LC and Santana were the only relief from pentatonic noodling back then.

User Info Menu

No video that I can find on YouTube, but there’s a lovely duet album with Jim Hall and Joey Baron: Conversations (2010)

You can hear the opening track here

User Info Menu

And if you are willing to move away from mainstream jazz, quite a few more duet albums come to mind: Egbert Gismonti with Nana Vasconcelos, Marc Ducret with Bobby Previte, Fred Frith with Evelyn Glennie, William Hooker with Lee Ranaldo, Derek Bailey with Tony Oxley or Cyro Baptista…
    There’s plenty really, if you’re willing to go “out there”.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by L50EF15
    Also, Charlie Hunter has done a couple of guitar-drum duo albums.
    Charlie Hunter is guitar and bass at the same time. Anyone doing this or using something like a Boss OC3 pedal to pump out the lows can't really be considered just guitar + drums. I was about to start exploring this avenue myself, then covid was upon us...

Edit: Check out Gilad Hekselman in Real Feels(?)/ with John Raymond.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Thanks for also reminding me of a live duet album with Joey Baron and Bill Frisell: Just Listen

Quote Originally Posted by ES125er
    And if you are willing to move away from mainstream jazz, quite a few more duet albums come to mind: Egbert Gismonti with Nana Vasconcelos, Marc Ducret with Bobby Previte, Fred Frith with Evelyn Glennie, William Hooker with Lee Ranaldo, Derek Bailey with Tony Oxley or Cyro Baptista…
    There’s plenty really, if you’re willing to go “out there”.
    Coltrane's duo album "Interstellar Space" with Rhashied Ali along with a duo concert of Cecil Taylor and Max Roach and one with Don Cherry and Ed Blackwell are my starting point of reference for drum/perc. + 1 duos. Occurred to me that I was unaware of such recordings involving guitar. Thanks for all the great suggestions, much to check out.

User Info Menu

Interstellar Space, you say? Well then…