Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

If people here teach via Zoom and are willing to help me navigate it I'd deeply appreciate it.

Just gave a lesson to a student I like very much, and we were working face-to-face before I moved from PA. Technically it was the Hindenburg, though we did get through it.

1. Couldn't get sound. I had to hold up a page with my telephone # or there'd have been no lesson, period. The sound wasn't muted; I tried every speaker configuration listed---no dice.

2. What drives me up a wall: when in the room w/a guitar student it's easy to correct or show fingerings for chords. With Zoom I have to keep repositioning myself and asking 'Can you see my hands NOW?'

Getting the primitive cell phone sound going (where his guitar on speaker phone was a mass of distortion and I had to ask him to play chords note by note to even hear them); fooling with the options to get sound (and failing to); etc ., etc.---all this wasted the 1st 10 minutes of the lesson. I had to tell him not to worry, I'll spend an extra 10. This is not even counting all the repositioning, then minimizing Zoom so I could see the chart he emailed me---pushing a mini-image of him way to the right and making it impossible to correct anything he did with such a small image.

I need it to go better. If it sounds like I'm bitching about technology (again) mea culpa---I HATE it. But I want to adjust to the realities of the modern world to do my job properly. This was embarrassing and I don't want it to ever happen again.

Is there a simple way to learn how to teach on Zoom? To quote Denzel in Philadelphia: 'Explain it to me like I was a 4-year-old'.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Joel,

Here's a really good, clear guide that I've shared with a lot of people in the last 18 months (having hosted a number of workshops on Zoom).

It includes a walk-through on how to configure settings for the best audio results.

LINK: How To Make Zoom Work For Music

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Hi Joel,

Here's a really good, clear guide that I've shared with a lot of people in the last 18 months (having hosted a number of workshops on Zoom).

It includes a walk-through on how to configure settings for the best audio results.

LINK: How To Make Zoom Work For Music
    Thanks!

(Also, an old friend saw this plea on FB and pointed out that having a 2nd camera helps if you have to demonstrate fingerings and whatnot on the instrument. He offered to mail me his extra one and I accepted)...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    Thanks!

(Also, an old friend saw this plea on FB and pointed out that having a 2nd camera helps if you have to demonstrate fingerings and whatnot on the instrument. He offered to mail me his extra one and I accepted)...
    A second monitor will help too, Zoom on one screen, lead sheet on the other.

User Info Menu

All the above suggestions are good. I’ve been teaching my college classes and private lessons via zoom since COVID.

I use multiple monitors so I can have zoom open on one screen and then share another screen when I’m sharing sheet music.

A second camera is important. I use it as a close up camera for my fretboard. There’s a shortcut in zoom to toggle between two cameras which makes the workflow pretty easy.

I invested in the software “Loopback”. This is a virtual mixer that runs any audio program you have and routes them into zoom. Very helpful.

I am plugging my guitar into a focus rite interface and using Komplete to build a virtual amp. I’m not happy with expecting my computer microphone to pick up the sound of my guitar.

I also bought a decent microphone so I can get the best audio sound instead of relying on the computer mic. All my input audio goes to a DAW. I use Reaper, but any DAW will do.

I suggest you do some test runs with friends before trying zoom with actual students.

Good luck!

User Info Menu

If you hate technology while trying to use it, the results will almost certainly be disappointing to all involved. This is not the 1920s, when electric lights were novelties in many areas. You either adapt to new technology or you lose out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by setemupjoe
    All the above suggestions are good. I’ve been teaching my college classes and private lessons via zoom since COVID.

I use multiple monitors so I can have zoom open on one screen and then share another screen when I’m sharing sheet music.

A second camera is important. I use it as a close up camera for my fretboard. There’s a shortcut in zoom to toggle between two cameras which makes the workflow pretty easy.

I invested in the software “Loopback”. This is a virtual mixer that runs any audio program you have and routes them into zoom. Very helpful.

I am plugging my guitar into a focus rite interface and using Komplete to build a virtual amp. I’m not happy with expecting my computer microphone to pick up the sound of my guitar.

I also bought a decent microphone so I can get the best audio sound instead of relying on the computer mic. All my input audio goes to a DAW. I use Reaper, but any DAW will do.

I suggest you do some test runs with friends before trying zoom with actual students.

Good luck!
    Hi Mark, Have you used the Reaper plugin ReaStream? I've used it from Reaper to OBS and then streaming to a livestream in YouTube. It apparently works for Zoom also. I had my guitar direct into my audio interface, to a Reaper track with the record button set to "Record disable input monitoring only" (right-click on the track record button), I also had my multitrack recordings playing thru Reaper and a live mic through audio interface to Reaper. I was using Amplitube5 as my amp plugin for the live guitar. It worked great. It's a bit complicated to set up the first time but I think this might be the best solution. My live cam was going thru OBS.

It's all free (except Reaper).

Here's a youtube video explaining how to set it up.

Thank you (Brooklynite) Bako for your time and indispensable help today via---what else? Zoom.

It's better already...

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    If you hate technology while trying to use it, the results will almost certainly be disappointing to all involved. This is not the 1920s, when electric lights were novelties in many areas. You either adapt to new technology or you lose out.
    You're right. Learned that the hard way...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by setemupjoe
    I also bought a decent microphone so I can get the best audio sound instead of relying on the computer mic.
    My wife is taking piano lessons via Zoom, and her sound was crappy through the computer mic. She went out and bought this, a mid-price mic, and now she finds it helps with her work-related Zoom meetings, too. I tell her she looks like a podcaster

It went WAY better just now, guys. Thank you all for your help. (Bako especially---he spent a 1/2 hour of the Lord's time with me on Zoom yesterday, really getting to the fine points of sound. My student & I heard each other clear as bells. Thanks again).

Wait til I get that 2nd camera goin'. Can't nobody tell me NOTHIN' then!...