Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    One of the best things about ordering online from Guitar Center was having merchandise shipped to the local store rather than the house. I have done this a dozen or so times and it worked like a charm. My gear was safe in the store’s possession and I would pick it up on my way home from work.

    A few months ago it took real effort to do this having to drill down and drill down on the website, but was eventually able to have the Epi shipped to the store where I safely picked it up and took it home.

    Today, no such luck. A call to customer support confirmed shipping to the store is no longer an online option. It is a disappointment.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Ugh, that sucks.

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Bummer.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    The website still offers the ship to store option, easily seen on any item page. Click to view an item, and the options appear on the right side of the page. GC still advertises free shipping to any lower 48 address, if the minimum purchase total is met, and that includes any store.

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    The website still offers the ship to store option, easily seen on any item page. Click to view an item, and the options appear on the right side of the page. GC still advertises free shipping to any lower 48 address, if the minimum purchase total is met, and that includes any store.
    Yes, but after the item is in the cart, it will only be shipped to an address specified, but option to ship to store is gone. Again GC admits you cannot order online and ship to store.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Alder Statesman
    Yes, but after the item is in the cart, it will only be shipped to an address specified, but option to ship to store is gone. Again GC admits you cannot order online and ship to store.
    Yes. Same happened with a recent used GC amp purchase I made. No option to deliver to my local store.
    I made it a point to stay home all day for the delivery.

    Businesses need to realize what brings in more customers, and what separates them from other retailers.

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Hm that is odd that they would cut off the ship to store option. You'd think they'd want you to come into the store, to up the chance of another add-on/impulse sale ...

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    They've always pushed ship to store, because that gets people into the store, where they can be sold more stuff. I haven't actually tried to ship to store in a long time, because I don't want to go out any more than absolutely necessary these days, but the ship to store option has always been an obvious option. I find it strange that it would be removed. My last purchase was some strings, made last week, and the ship to store was front and center as always, even after payment. The removal must have been very recent and quick. I might try it the next time I buy something, and use the contactless curb pickup they also advertise.

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    They probably had a higher rate of return with ship to store.

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    FWIW, I just put a guitar in my cart, and was presented with the ship to store option for any zip code I wanted, as long as that zip code was within the specified distance from a store. If not, changing the distance brought it back. Some zip codes are a couple of hundred miles from a GC store. You can still get the item shipped to the store if you make the search distance large enough. I did not follow through and pay and have the item shipped, but the choice was there when the item was in my cart. I also didn't input every possible zip code, but only used some in several different states.

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    FWIW, I just put a guitar in my cart, and was presented with the ship to store option for any zip code I wanted, as long as that zip code was within the specified distance from a store. If not, changing the distance brought it back. Some zip codes are a couple of hundred miles from a GC store. You can still get the item shipped to the store if you make the search distance large enough. I did not follow through and pay and have the item shipped, but the choice was there when the item was in my cart. I also didn't input every possible zip code, but only used some in several different states.
    The feature is back. I was able to ship to the store just now. No explanation as to if it was a computer glitch that did not allow it or a reversal of a policy decision.

    NAD coming.

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    The shippers offer the option to require a signature from a person at your residence before delivery or to ship it to their store..

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55
    The shippers offer the option to require a signature from a person at your residence before delivery or to ship it to their store..
    This might be a CanadaPost thing, but yesterday I accepted a package for my wife and the postie explained that because of covid they don't do the signature, but they have to leave it with someone and not just on the front step. That said, I've never had anything stolen from my front door.

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    I have received used guitars listed on GC. I prefer to have them sent to my local store because I can't always sign for the shipment at home. Once I got a guitar at my local GC sent from a remote GC that was obviously damaged. My GC took care of it for me with a refund.

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    That said, I've never had anything stolen from my front door.
    Neither have I.

    In the Age of Porch Pirates, GC Drops One of Their Best Services-bf1435b7-588d-4acd-9efe-0c2cbc1b71ac-jpeg

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Neither have I.

    In the Age of Porch Pirates, GC Drops One of Their Best Services-bf1435b7-588d-4acd-9efe-0c2cbc1b71ac-jpeg
    Sadly, porch pirates are very common here. I manage a 800 home community “in the county” here and we have had dozens of reported thefts of Amazon packages from porches. I actually had $80 worth of Harney tea stolen from my office’s mailbox.

    My home is in the city limits and my neighbors on both sides of me have lost packages. The cops believe the thieves actually tail the Amazon delivery trucks.

    Humorously, someone stole a bottle of Kodak stop bath that I ordered from Amazon. I got the email showing the package at my front door which is inside a fence. When I got home two hours later the package was gone. Five days later, the opened box with the sealed bottle of stop bath appeared outside the fence by my garage. Guess the thief never worked in a darkroom.

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Here's one approach to the problem of crime. The segment begins at 7:30 on the video.


  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    The war escalates. I just had to replace my 40+ year old garage door opener, which finally died. The replacement comes with wifi features, which allows me to open and close it remotely, among other things. It also has a built-in Amazon Key, which allows Amazon delivery drivers to open the garage door and put packages inside, then close it again. I haven't activated it, because I don't use Amazon for philosophical reasons, but it's there. It's easy, and not very expensive, to add a camera inside the garage, so one can see the delivery and monitor the garage. I wouldn't even consider a career as a porch pirate these days, because almost everyone has a security camera, often multiple cameras, which record everything. My security camera is inside a security light, which just screws into an AC socket mounted above the garage door. Cost about $20, installation is just replacing a light bulb and setting up an app on my phone. The only downside is that it doesn't use a memory card, so storing video in the cloud requires payment. But it's only ~$2/month, not significant. The software in the camera recognizes humans, and I get a notification on my phone anytime a person is detected. It's not perfect, I sometimes get notified of stray cats sneaking by, but it's good enough for the price.

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    I just had a guitar shipped from a New Jersey GC to a CT store about 2-3 weeks ago, no problem at all.

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    The war escalates. I just had to replace my 40+ year old garage door opener, which finally died. The replacement comes with wifi features, which allows me to open and close it remotely, among other things. It also has a built-in Amazon Key, which allows Amazon delivery drivers to open the garage door and put packages inside, then close it again. I haven't activated it, because I don't use Amazon for philosophical reasons, but it's there. It's easy, and not very expensive, to add a camera inside the garage, so one can see the delivery and monitor the garage. I wouldn't even consider a career as a porch pirate these days, because almost everyone has a security camera, often multiple cameras, which record everything. My security camera is inside a security light, which just screws into an AC socket mounted above the garage door. Cost about $20, installation is just replacing a light bulb and setting up an app on my phone. The only downside is that it doesn't use a memory card, so storing video in the cloud requires payment. But it's only ~$2/month, not significant. The software in the camera recognizes humans, and I get a notification on my phone anytime a person is detected. It's not perfect, I sometimes get notified of stray cats sneaking by, but it's good enough for the price.
    When you change your mind... https://www.amazon.com/Critique-Pure...dp/B01C9BBVZA/

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    Perhaps philosophical wasn't the precise word. But the St Louis Cardinals just fired their manager over "philosophical differences", so maybe it's in the ballpark. To be more precise, I detest Jeff Bezos, his company, and everything he stands for.

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    I’m just imagining someone saying, well we had to go our own separate ways, I just couldn’t work with a logical positivist any more…

  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    I just had a guitar shipped from a New Jersey GC to a CT store about 2-3 weeks ago, no problem at all.
    What was it???

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Perhaps philosophical wasn't the precise word. But the St Louis Cardinals just fired their manager over "philosophical differences", so maybe it's in the ballpark. To be more precise, I detest Jeff Bezos, his company, and everything he stands for.
    'Amazon' is actally several companies - a loss making retail giant (don't know the current figures but a few years ago the average order was around $11, average cost to Amazon $14 ) - cross subsidised by a massively profitable Web Server business (AWS) + advertising + video streaming etc.

    Buying stuff from Amazon costs 'em $$$...of course if they continue to buy turnover 'till everyone else goes under....

    You have a point...

  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Perhaps philosophical wasn't the precise word. But the St Louis Cardinals just fired their manager over "philosophical differences", so maybe it's in the ballpark. To be more precise, I detest Jeff Bezos, his company, and everything he stands for.
    How do you feel about Sam Walton?