The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 61

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hip hop and rap are pretty different...but what they share is that they're a whole lot more relevant than any guitar based music.

User Info Menu

The public wants Stories they understand as opposed to being challenged to say a great Jazz recording.

Pop Music basically has been relegated to Visual Stories and Hip Hop fits it perfectly! Yuck!

User Info Menu

90s and early 2000s buttrock was the end of Rock & Roll, metal still lives but rock is dead

There is some great rap/hip-hop out there (no meaningful distinction between the two) - not just underground stuff, I like Travis Scott quite a bit

User Info Menu

I was trying to think of a reason why rap is dumb compared to other styles where you have to suspend your disbelief also. Say someone is listening to metal, are they going to go fight the dragon hordes? No. Hmm. But metal has better musicianship and more depth to the emotions in the songwriting. Rap is extremely simplistic and 1 dimensional. The only time signature they are able to use is 4/4. Not that I only listen to complex music, I listen to simple music. But I think the combination of it being stupid music wise and stupid in its sentiment is too much for me to make the leap to identify with and really dig. I have to identify with music to really like it. When it comes down to it, I just don't and will never identify as a gangster retard or a dude who is all about the club.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 09-29-2021 at 04:09 AM.

User Info Menu

I much prefer listening to hip-hop/rap over rock and I say this as someone who used to listen to rock/metal exclusively. Though admittedly I might be the weird one out here so yeah

User Info Menu

......To paraphrase Gracie Slick, old people aren't supposed to like kids' music, and are supposed to think it's all garbage, which I don't and which I do, respectively, ,
    so therefore I'm just doing my part......

: )

User Info Menu

I didn't like all pop music when I was a kid either..

User Info Menu

Since just last week it was the 30th anniversary of A Tribe Called Quest's "The Low End Theory" (same release date as Nirvana's "Nevermind"!), I thought it'd be fun to break down the jazz samples they use. Certainly more fun than whatever this thread is supposed to be:

The extremely obvious one isn't even a sample at all. Ron Carter is on this track and gets a shout out!

Ok, back to samples. Here's Art Blakey's "A Chant for Bu":

Which gets used for the opening track to great effect:

Weather Report's "Young and Fine":

...is used for "Butter":

Jimmy McGriff did a version of Green Dolphin that got used on "Jazz (We've Got)"

Those are just a few of the obvious ones.

User Info Menu

Always find it amusing when someone claims counting an odd number of beats is more rhythmically complex than a killer groove in 4/4

User Info Menu

• Back to my hip hop rant: I consider rap and hip hop the poor man’s music. When someone listens to rap and hip hop, I equate it to a beautiful, popular and preppy white girl and her shopping tastes. Instead of shopping at Forever 21, Aritza, or Michael Kors, or whatever retail store in a Galleria or a Large Mall, she prefers shopping at some secluded, no name small business retail store in the middle of a plaza that no one goes to. The few people who shop at that retail store are usually brand new Afghan and Syrian Refugees (Migrants). This is what I think in my head to people who enjoy listening to rap and hip-hop in 2021.

You equate rap and hip-hop to a girl who does not follow the crowd, supports local businesses, is comfortable with people of different races and does not discriminate against refugees.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BWV
    Always find it amusing when someone claims counting an odd number of beats is more rhythmically complex than a killer groove in 4/4
    Who claims that?

Last edited by Clint 55; 09-29-2021 at 03:56 AM.

User Info Menu

Well, like all music, there are better and worse examples. I liked a tribe called quest. I didnt think it was inferior and just all about blowing police away with AK's.
    Similarly, I enjoyed this when it was released and still think it sounds great. The band is not too shabby either.

The lyricist on this recording are Sub-Zero, Kokayi, Utasi, Shahliek and Black Thought.
    The musicians are Steve Coleman (alto saxophone), Andy Milne (piano), Reggie Washington (electric bass), Gene Lake (drums), Ravi Coltrane (tenor sax), Ralph Alessi (trumpet), Michael Wimberly, (percussion), Ezra Greer and Duane Sarden (samples). Joe Marciano (recording and mix engineer).Recorded May/June, 1994 in Brooklyn, NY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzism
    Well, like all music, there are better and worse examples. I liked a tribe called quest. I didnt think it was inferior and just all about blowing police away with AK's.
    Same

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55
    I was trying to think of a reason why rap is dumb compared to other styles where you have to suspend your disbelief also. Say someone is listening to metal, are they going to go fight the dragon hordes? No. Hmm. But metal has better musicianship and more depth to the emotions in the songwriting. Rap is extremely simplistic and 1 dimensional. The only time signature they are able to use is 4/4. Not that I only listen to complex music, I listen to simple music. But I think the combination of it being stupid music wise and stupid in its sentiment is too much for me to make the leap to identify with and really dig. I have to identify with music to really like it. When it comes down to it, I just don't and will never identify as a gangster retard or a dude who is all about the club.
    i see what youre saying but you sound like you havent really heard
    real old school hip hop

? Old School - YouTube

identify with the vibe

User Info Menu

i feel that everyone who enjoys music can enjoy every music „genre“

you just have to find the right music

i love hip hop but i dont listen to boring beats and flows

matterfact hip hop got me into jazz

User Info Menu

People want entertainment,not musicians music. Whether it's Rap,Rock, Disco, Folk, even Jazz they want pedestrian beats with stories!
    The Era of creative music is Dead!
    Welcome to Visual Music 4.0

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by maxiim
    i see what youre saying but you sound like you havent really heard
    real old school hip hop

? Old School - YouTube

identify with the vibe
    Old skool is actually my favorite.

Another reason I don't like rap is I live and work in an area where ghetto/gangsta is the predominant culture. And it's fuckin annoying as hell. Gangster types hassle me on the regular at work. I'm thinking foo I would throw you in a trash can if I wouldn't get fired. I have not once been hassled by a belligerent jazz or rock looking fellow. I really despise the culture.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dasein
    Since just last week it was the 30th anniversary of A Tribe Called Quest's "The Low End Theory" (same release date as Nirvana's "Nevermind"!), I thought it'd be fun to break down the jazz samples they use. Certainly more fun than whatever this thread is supposed to be:

The extremely obvious one isn't even a sample at all. Ron Carter is on this track and gets a shout out!

Ok, back to samples. Here's Art Blakey's "A Chant for Bu":

Which gets used for the opening track to great effect:

Weather Report's "Young and Fine":

...is used for "Butter":

Jimmy McGriff did a version of Green Dolphin that got used on "Jazz (We've Got)"

Those are just a few of the obvious ones.
    He can barely contain his enthusiasm;

User Info Menu

I got nothing in particular against rap or against hip-hip, but in general I'm not a fan of the human voice. I'm just wired to prefer instrumental music, whether it be jazz or classical or whatever.

User Info Menu

Rap has a story. I see rap artists as more poets than music makers. But there’s all kinds of rap. You can’t simply bundle it all together. Well you could, but isn’t that more a listener’s shortcoming rather than the musicians.

User Info Menu

Having a certain preference isn't a shortcoming. I can bop to the good songs. In the end, it's too much of a leap personality wise to dig it. I don't like the conceited but retarded personality to it. That's the complete opposite of me.

User Info Menu

Having a certain preference isn't a shortcoming. I can bop to the good songs. In the end, it's too much of a leap personality wise to dig it. I cCdon't like the conceited but retarded personality to it. That's the complete opposite of me.
    Conceited and retarded? Hmm, a bit on the judgmental side. I don’t listen to any rap or popular music nowadays. If I do it’s Motown or Philly music from the 70’s. Or if I get nostalgic I listen to Dusty Springfield or something from the Burt Bacharach playbook. I listen to the music of my generation, not counting Frank Sinatra or Tony Bennet. But even I respect all musicians trying to make it in a world that’s already full of music. There’s something for everyone.

User Info Menu

Yeah, like I said, it's not like I only listen to music that's expertly composed and the most real emotion/vibe wise. I listen to simple music, or negative music, or silly music. But in the end, I can't identify with the whole gangster retard thing enough to really dig the music. I think it's obviously really effective music, and it takes talent, and the production and all that is there, but I can't get past enjoying just a song here or there. I don't like the vibe of it. I work in the ghetto culture and it's really infuriating. I went through my phase of being super accepting of everything and I try to be in general, but yeah, I'm over that, I think it's dumb.

User Info Menu

Yeah, like I said, it's not like I only listen to music that's expertly composed and the most real emotion/vibe wise. I listen to simple music, or negative music, or silly music. But in the end, I can't identify with the whole gangster retard thing enough to really dig the music. I think it's obviously really effective music, and it takes talent, and the production and all that is there, but I can't get past enjoying just a song here or there. I don't like the vibe of it. I work in the ghetto culture and it's really infuriating. I went through my phase of being super accepting of everything and I try to be in general, but yeah, I'm over that, I think it's dumb.
    Perhaps that’s because one can work in a culture, without being of a culture. You’re not supposed to relate to it, you’re not in the ghetto.

Can you imagine fighting for your life every day simply to get to school? I know I can’t, and I grew up in a ghetto.