The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 61

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Perhaps that’s because one can work in a culture, without being of a culture. You’re not supposed to relate to it, you’re not in the ghetto.
    Yep, its hard to relate to alot of Hip-Hop simply because as an old white guy, I'm not part of the target audience (and I dont really care if I cant understand the language)

Do have better luck outside the US, where you also get less of the gangsta cliches

Here is Zambian-born Sampa the Great on a posthumous tribute to the Tony Allen (Fela's drummer), sampling Tony

or France-based Senegal-born MC Solar

or Marcelo D2 incorporating Samba

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is groovy, more techno than hip-hop perhaps?

User Info Menu

Rap isn't my generation and hip hop isn't my culture. At 63 yo, I'm a boomer and many of us love our bands. In some circles we call pre-1986 'the band days'.
    I have nothing against rap. I'd just rather hear notes than some kind of poetry.

User Info Menu

Perhaps that’s because one can work in a culture, without being of a culture. You’re not supposed to relate to it, you’re not in the ghetto.

Can you imagine fighting for your life every day simply to get to school? I know I can’t, and I grew up in a ghetto.
    Referring to the ideology and conduct, not saying I fear for my life. Although I do have confrontation every day with ghetto types. Of course confrontation can happen with any type but I think the ghetto ideology and negativity are related more so than others. And then people act like if you don't accept it, then you're the hater. Yeah, sure.

Otherwise, my town of Santa Fe is pretty nice. Albuquerque, which is an hour away, has the 15th highest murder rate in the nation and the highest in the southwest.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55
    Referring to the ideology and conduct, not saying I fear for my life. Although I do have confrontation every day with ghetto types. Of course confrontation can happen with any type but I think the ghetto ideology and negativity are related more so than others. And then people act like if you don't accept it, then you're the hater. Yeah, sure.

Otherwise, my town of Santa Fe is pretty nice. Albuquerque, which is an hour away, has the 15th highest murder rate in the nation and the highest in the southwest.
    Wait a second. Google says Sante Fe has a black population of 983 people. And Albuquerque has a population of 19k. Each of those are very tiny black populations! So which of those 983 people are troubling you?

User Info Menu

It's hispanics. Hispanics make up the majority of the population in Santa Fe. Not that I'm racist.. because I'm half. Spanish was my Mom's first language. I just think ghetto is stupid and I can't identify with it in rap. And I think it's not 100% benign or positive like people say.

User Info Menu

It's hispanics. Hispanics make up the majority of the population in Santa Fe. Not that I'm racist.. because I'm half. Spanish was my Mom's first language. I just think ghetto is stupid and I can't identify with it in rap. And I think it's not 100% benign or positive like people say.
    Wow. So what’s it like living in a community that’s not a majority white? That’s a rarity.

User Info Menu

I like the dynamic. You're exposed to a lot of Spanish. It seems like 1/3 or so of the people here speak it. I'm about half way through learning it myself. There are subtle differences with the culture. The women look awesome. Noone's really racist. It's common for some of the men to be macho and confrontational like I was saying, but I don't think I'd be able to really avoid that in any city.

User Info Menu

What are you talking about Hispanics are super racist. They all hate each other. Or at least that's how it is in Chicago.

User Info Menu

Wow. So what’s it like living in a community that’s not a majority white? That’s a rarity.
    Ever been to Houston?

User Info Menu

and the white population consists mainly of yoga instructors and artisanal candlemakers

User Info Menu

You got it! My mom owned a yoga studio before covid. Although she's full hispanic, but can pass as white.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    What are you talking about Hispanics are super racist. They all hate each other. Or at least that's how it is in Chicago.
    Lol. There's hateration here. In general, it's pretty cool. If I didn't have to go into work at Walmart every day and could just chill around the city I would be golden.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Hispanics in New Mexico generally are not immigrants

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BWV
    Ever been to Houston?
    Nope. I wouldn’t step foot in Texas. I’m perfectly fine in Washington state. Although I reside in an all white community 40 minutes north of Seattle. Most people are very kewl. Everyone in the grocery store knows me as the kewl senior guy who comes in once a week.

User Info Menu

Contest! According to Wikipedia, my home town, Kelowna, is 0.8% black. What do I win?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Contest! According to Wikipedia, my home town, Kelowna, is 0.8% black. What do I win?
    We’d all move to your town if we could. But Vancouver is very International. My favorite city on the planet. It’s got it all. Too busy for you I imagine.

User Info Menu

We’d all move to your town if we could. But Vancouver is very International. My favorite city on the planet. It’s got it all. Too busy for you I imagine.
    Just went back to Wikipedia to verify that, yes, Vancouver is minority white. 27% of the population is ethnically Chinese and 53% of Vancouver's residents do not speak English as their first language.

Too busy? Yeah. I do like to visit a couple times a year, less recently because of *cough*.

And Surrey, just south of Vancouver has a big Sikh population. Their Vaisakhi celebration is a fun.

User Info Menu

Just went back to Wikipedia to verify that, yes, Vancouver is minority white. 53 percent of Vancouver's residents do not speak English as their first language, and 27% of the population is ethnically Chinese.

Too busy? Yeah. I do like to visit a couple times a year, less recently because of *cough*.

And Surrey, just south of Vancouver has a big Sikh population. Their Vaisakhi celebration is a fun.

I don’t think it was minority white when I first visited there in 1981.

User Info Menu

I don’t think it was minority white when I first visited there in 1981.
    No. but there was a big outflow from Hong Kong.

User Info Menu

No. but there was a big outflow from Hong Kong.
    Oh don’t I know it! Around 1995 or so IIRC. I remember visiting Whistler when condos sold for 70k. Then suddenly they were 3 times that.

User Info Menu

Oh don’t I know it! Around 1995 or so IIRC. I remember visiting Whistler when condos sold for 70k. Then suddenly they were 3 times that.
    House pricing are a "trigger" topic!

User Info Menu

Nope. I wouldn’t step foot in Texas. .. I reside in an all white community 40 minutes north of Seattle. Most people are very kewl. Everyone in the grocery store knows me as the kewl senior guy who comes in once a week.
    well I bet the restaurants suck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BWV
    well I bet the restaurants suck
    I’ve been here for 43 years. Actually the restaurants are amazing. With Amazon and Microsoft, are you kidding? Life in the NW is very diverse and so is the food. And we like it that way. We’ve even got decent gumbo and barbecue.

User Info Menu

I’ve been here for 43 years. Actually the restaurants are amazing. With Amazon and Microsoft, are you kidding? Life in the NW is very diverse and so is the food. And we like it that way. We’ve even got decent gumbo and barbecue.
    well can’t get geoduck around here