The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting.I would love to calculate the combined years of practice and hard work represented by this group.Totally enjoyed it!!!

User Info Menu

I actually had a month-long professional experience with Zappa on a project. I hate to badmouth the deceased, I feel bad he suffered a bad death, but he was a real jerk. Not about the music or the performance, but everything else. He expected to be treated like a king or something, to be waited on hand and foot, and was very rude to people. Sorry to offend anyone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I actually had a month-long professional experience with Zappa on a project. I hate to badmouth the deceased, I feel bad he suffered a bad death, but he was a real jerk. Not about the music or the performance, but everything else. He expected to be treated like a king or something, to be waited on hand and foot, and was very rude to people. Sorry to offend anyone.
    I guess not everyone has the same bad experiences with FZ.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I used to play with a drummer who felt the same way about FZ when he went on tour with him as a percussionist. He treated and paid the musicians like they were dogs.

User Info Menu

I enjoyed that. Jimmy tells as good a story as he plays his guitar. Zappa's music isn't my favorite, but his work defending free speech makes him a good guy in my book, even if he was a bit of a jerk to his sidemen.

Thanks for posting Kris!

User Info Menu

I don't know if Frank was a jerk or not. Probably, since geniuses usually are. He certainly didn't suffer fools gladly. He was a tough mother as a bandleader, and many many musicians stuck it out with him because A) they respected his musical mind and B) realized that was the only place they could play music at that level.

I suspect he would be an awesome dinner party guest.

Adrian Belew does tell quite a few stories about Frank. Frank was very rude to Adrian after Adrian planned to leave Frank's band for David Bowie (excellent career move though). And yet...Adrian never lost his respect for Frank, kept in touch with FZ and in fact made a visit to Frank when he was very ill. As I recall Frank was very touched by Adrian's visit.

Adrian Belew Talks Zappa, Bowie...and William Shatner