The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Hi
    There are allot of over the counter hearing aids today. TV is full of ads for them at around $300...I would like to know, if you have purchased this level of device, are you pleased with it ? Are you happy with how they support music and guitar playing, hearing speech and TV, et al. ? Or, are you regretting you didn't go for the more expensive kind with a mold having been taken of your ear canal ? And, Are yours rechargeable ?..
    Thanks, M

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I bought a set, but quickly returned them as I could not get them to recharge. They were ok for speech enhancement; for music, not so much. My professional-grade HEs are expensive but work well. Batteries last about a week, and are mercury-free and relatively cheap. I would do it agin, and probably will, as the response curve is tailored to my hearing loss insofar as that is possible. I could have gotten an L-5CES for the price. I just would not have been able to enjoy the sound of it.

User Info Menu

I have been having trouble lately, if it's a loud room all around, even in the distance, I can't hear the person next to me talking to me, even though I hear everything else like a megaphone.

Someone suggested to me "Eargo."

Eargo Hearing Aids

User Info Menu

What? What did you say?

User Info Menu

That was Tuesday.

User Info Menu

My hearing is about shot due to years of directly standing in front of a Leslie organ speaker w a huge Peavey amp on top about a foot from the back of my head.
    The organist would always get these gigs in tiny clubs w nowhere else for me to stand.
    I went to get a hearing test once and the doctor said do you work around loud machinery? I said I was a musician and she just shook her head.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    My hearing is about shot due to years of directly standing in front of a Leslie organ speaker w a huge Peavey amp on top about a foot from the back of my head.
    The organist would always get these gigs in tiny clubs w nowhere else for me to stand.
    I went to get a hearing test once and the doctor said do you work around loud machinery? I said I was a musician and she just shook her head.
    I hear ya man! A bit muffled though. Mine's from the sax player's floor monitor funnelling directly into my right ear for almost a decade. In cramped spaces it hit him in the knees, so he needed it cranked. I'm a couple feet away so it hit me 'just right'. After those gigs I always had serious ringing. Now that's mostly all I get from that ear. Thankfully the one pointed off stage still works OK.

The kids today with their in-ear monitors don't know how good they got it.

I'm thinking about making an ear trumpet...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    I'm thinking about making an ear trumpet...
    You'd be in good company.

Today's OTC Hearing Aids..Who owns them ?-beethoven-800x445-jpg

User Info Menu

I lost my hearing working in commercial diving (80% right ear and 60% left). Been wearing hearing aids for 30 years. My aids are replaced every five years and with each replacement the new technology helps me hear a little better. In my experience forget the dime store brands, you get what you pay for. My present aids are Oticon More behind the ear which cost $5500 after a government benefit of $1000. If it comes to hearing or not, these are worth every penny.
    As for playing music, these aids act like a brain function which automatically adjusts for ambient environments. I’m pleased, they are smaller, lighter, rechargeable -no batteries, no tubes hanging on the ears and best of all I can hear.

User Info Menu

Bose made a great product a few years ago called Hearphones. I bought one for about $400 IIRC. It is noise enhancing and noise cancelling and adjustable via smartphone. GREAT for the airplane, crowded public spaces AND watching TV with the S/O...I can adjust the volume to my preference, without triggering her ire.

The only downside--they look dorky, but hey the young people these days walk around with dinner plate-sized headphones on, so I wouldn't feel that bad about wearing them out in public.

Apparently they stopped making them--I read somewhere that there were too many quality issues. So I hope mine never dies.

They are now making smaller in-ear hearing augmentation devices, like this one:

SoundControl Hearing Aids | Bose

I am curious to try this out, cause I don't feel like shelling out 4-5 grand for a pair. And IMO Bose has done some brilliant engineering work re' sound for many, many years.

User Info Menu

Belated thanks for all the input..