Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Hey!

    Whenever I think about the legendary Thunderstruck, it gets me thinking.

    Today I thought, how many songs are out there that could actually be awesome in other genres. Not just fun'n'games way. But like really good.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Lol. Come to think of it, yeah. Thunderstruck.

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Metallica “One”?


  5. #4

    User Info Menu


  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Smells like teen spirit
    Blue moon
    House of the rising sun


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Greensleeves

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by dlew919
    Smells like teen spirit
    Blue moon
    House of the rising sun


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Smells's - can't imagine it in non-aggressive style. Maybe the softest would be if done as a Bond-like theme... that's a genre by itself, right? The chorus, not the verse. Verse could be done so nice and smooth even. Well, it kinda is already.. But seems way too tied to itself, the melodies.
    Others, very much good in different ways, yep.

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    Smells's - can't imagine it in non-aggressive style. Maybe the softest would be if done as a Bond-like theme... that's a genre by itself, right? The chorus, not the verse. Verse could be done so nice and smooth even. Well, it kinda is already.. But seems way too tied to itself, the melodies.
    Others, very much good in different ways, yep.





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    And why is "My Adorable Darling" only done as a Bollywood song?


  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by dlew919





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This grinds me in a wrong way.

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    This grinds me in a wrong way.
    Can’t win em all


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Maybe Sixteen tons, it is normaly played in a folk style but is a blues pattern and I could see it done as a punk song.
    [video=youtube_share;cLND7R3IFaQ]

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Summertime is probably the most genre-neutral song I can think of. One of the most performed songs ever, if not the most.

    Careless Love is another.

    Most old folk songs hold up well to multiple interpretations.

    And then some artists seem to defy categories...Joni Mitchell for instance. Hard to imagine a heavy metal version of Joni, but jazz/blues/"classical"--it's all there.

    Edit: just checked--Summertime is THE MOST recorded song ever by a large margin. Yesterday and Amazing Grace next in line. (Digression: I have never heard a good COVER version of Yesterday, unless someone can point me to one. Paul's version is still the gold standard.)

    https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...-recorded-song

  15. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxJaxon
    Maybe Sixteen tons, it is normaly played in a folk style but is a blues pattern and I could see it done as a punk song.
    [video=youtube_share;cLND7R3IFaQ]
    Havent heard this one.
    I could like it if it was much faster than in this vid - if punk.

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Summertime
    Route 66
    Halleleujah

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    I also was thinking Route 66.

    Also, Mercy Mercy Mercy

  18. #17
    hm

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    A medley: Goodbye; Hello/Goodbye; Bye Bye Blues; Hello. For real.


    Al Cohn and Barry Harris recorded America the Beautiful. Why not Meatloaf? (I SWEAR he sang his ASS off, dueting w/Pavoratti no less, on Sorrento).

    If you love the song and have any spark or imagination you make it yours...

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Works for me


    Not sure I'm entirely sold on the actual take, but they demonstrate that it could work as a bossa.
    Last edited by Average Joe; 09-04-2021 at 07:20 AM.