The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

I listen to Jazz stations on my Amazon Echo, mainly one called "Bebop Jazz" ( I think it is a Pandora station), and I would like to have more variety. I have a chance to get a Sirius subscription. Can someone tell me if their Jazz Channel(s) are any good? Do they have variety? Do they possibly sub-divide between different sub-genres such as Bebop, Ragtime, Modern Jazz?

Thanks and I hope you are all doing well.

AR

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I figured I had better quite being lazy. I looked at the link below, and it appears they have a couple of Jazz Channels. The one called Real Jazz features different shows. I am going to have to read some more another time, or check back in to see if someone else in the US finds the Jazz to what they like.

Channel Lineup & Guide | SiriusXM

User Info Menu

They have smooth jazz, more smooth jazz, and one called Real Jazz. It used to be decent, but not in a long time. IMO SiriusXM is not worth half what they charge. I had free trials in my last several cars, and never listened to it more than a few minutes total. I use YouTube Music (formerly Google Music) almost exclusively. My personal music library has been synced for years, and I get recommendations based on that, so not so much worthless crap. I pay for a family YouTube plan, which lets me add any music I like to my library and removes ads from YouTube. It's worth it to me, and it's far less than SiriusXM charges. I've tried Spotify and Pandora, but they're not worth paying for, at least to me.

User Info Menu

I'm very seldom in a variety mood and if so it's a variety of my own choosing not someone else's choosing which I don't care for at all. I've used YT's no commercial ads plan since YT came out with it. I'm now on their Premium family plan which you can add up to 5 members. I've given a couple premium member adds to some close friends which now love YT and the gift.

I've never much even looked at the Library portion as I've always made individual artist playlist. I really enjoy my YouTube app that I have on my TV which logs directly into my personal YT channel and the ability to listen to my playlist and also watch live videos and concerts of my choosing. I have a tv soundbar and sub woofer that works great for me. The only minor complaint I have on some YT vids are the differences in volume setting with some videos not being set at a consistent volume level.

I did try a trial subscription to Apple Music. Personally I didn't care for the user interface at all on my iPhone and when trying to bluetooth Apple music outside my home on a patio(s) I kept getting an error when trying to play music saying no wi-fi signal. I've never had a problem with this function anywhere outside with YouTube so I cancelled Apple music because of user interface and bluetooth streaming problem.

User Info Menu

I've had Sirius for years, and my answer is: it really depends on the DJ. Some days, it's AWESOME, other days, it's so frantic I have to change the channel. But when it's good, it's GREAT. Just depends on the day/DJ.

And be sure to include "40's Junction" in there: that's where all the older (swing and earlier) jazz stuff is found.

Sirius is ABSOLUTELY worth it to me, but then I am a fan of MANY types of music... we frequent: Real Jazz, Outlaw Country, Classic Rewind, Bluesville, I even go to the Bluegrass channel sometimes, there's the Sinatra channel, Tom Petty channel, heck we even put on SPA or Watercolors when we leave the dogs to try to keep the dogs mellow LOL. But JUST for jazz? You'd be better off with Pandora or Spotify... Actually, I also LOVE Pandora, and pay for that service (to be commercial free). I can't count how many great artists I have discovered on Pandora. Then only recently started Spotify, because unlike Pandora, I can pick ONE artist, or even one ALBUM, and just listen to that (I did that recently with Julian Lage, before purchasing several of his albums).

User Info Menu

I am little bit embarrassed to say it here, but I really like the smooth jazz watercolors station (66?). They play a LOT of guitar stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I am little bit embarrassed to say it here, but I really like the smooth jazz watercolors station (66?). They play a LOT of guitar stuff.
    I agree... it might be "borderline muzak" LOL, but there's alot of great guitar playing on that channel. Of course it's not Johnny Smith or Oscar Moore or whoever, but great playing just the same. Just have to not be a snob when listening

User Info Menu

Hhm, my wife just got a newer car (2019) and a Sirius trial comes with it. She had Sirius in her old car. Never thought about a YT subscription for the car. After reading the above, I want to look into it and talk about that with her.

I have no idea what a Sirius subscription costs, or a YT one for that matter.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Hhm, my wife just got a newer car (2019) and a Sirius trial comes with it. She had Sirius in her old car. Never thought about a YT subscription for the car. After reading the above, I want to look into it and talk about that with her.

My son has a Sirius subscription mostly for MLB, I think it's kinda expensive tho. Don't think theres a YT car subscription, you just bluetooth from your YouTube on phone thru vehicle bluetooth. Single YT premium is about $10 a month, YT family plan runs me $18 mo but you can add 5 members for same price, I have wife, 1 daughter and 2 friends on my YT family plan, win-win for me and have same YouTube app on my tv, so I'm covered all around, vehicle, tv, phone, computer, nice to watch a great live YT music session on my TV

User Info Menu

Yes. And, great R@B, Classical, Opera.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes

Mark,
    I think SGosnell and BFrench are on to something with this Youtube Music thing. I get most of my music from Youtube and it is starting to look like the service I have been looking for.

Although I must admit, I do enjoy "discovering" new old classic Jazz songs on the Pandora.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BFrench
    My son has a Sirius subscription mostly for MLB, I think it's kinda expensive tho. Don't think theres a YT car subscription, you just bluetooth from your YouTube on phone thru vehicle bluetooth. Single YT premium is about $10 a month, YT family plan runs me $18 mo but you can add 5 members for same price, I have wife, 1 daughter and 2 friends on my YT family plan, win-win for me and have same YouTube app on my tv, so I'm covered all around, vehicle, tv, phone, computer, nice to watch a great live YT music session on my TV
    Thanks!
    YT seems better.
    It's just her and me so I don't know if we need a family plan. If we're in the car together----sometimes she has to drive an hour each way for a work task and I may ride along---we could use her phone. And we could listen to her husband's YouTube channel in her car----every wife's dream, amirite? ;o)

User Info Menu

I like Sirius. I'm usually switching between '40s Junction, Real Jazz, Bluesville and MLB. I also sometimes play the Bluegrass, BBC, CBC and the old radio shows channels. If we didn't have two full time classical FMs nearby, classical and opera would also be in the mix. I do occasionally hook up my Spotify with blue tooth, but with Sirius I'm often exposed to stuff I hadn't heard before.

User Info Menu

I had a free trial with Sirius too, and I let it lapse. Most of the content was not interesting to me: only the Real channel played anything resembling jazz, which wasn't bad. And, yep, the Watercolors channel was a guilty pleasure on occasion. But TBH I literally memorized all my fave classic rock, soul, funk, and Beatles tunes years ago for lots of cover band work, so really did not ever need to hear any of that stuff again. One of the rock channels did something like three days of nonstop Van Halen when EVH passed. But none of that was enough to make me want to pay for Sirius.

There are plenty of good music podcasts out there, and several jazz stations in the US have streaming apps. It is also super easy to just load up hours of jazz podcasts onto the iPhone and just listen to that.

Now... if you DO want to continue Sirius after your trial expires, call them up and say that you are going to cancel or lapse because it's not worth the price. They will make better and better offers to you. Depending on who the representative is, they may stop at $10/mo for a year or go as low as $5/mo for a year. If you don't get the $5/mo offer, cancel. They'll send it to you in the US mail. Or try calling back and seeing if another representative will offer it to you. I got all of this from some forum sites when I was evaluating whether to continue Sirius.

Also, they extended the free trial several times last year due to COVID restrictions. I am not quite sure why that was the case, but my three-month free trial actually wound up going on for six months, maybe longer.

HTH

SJ

User Info Menu

I enjoy Real Jazz. It's easily the best jazz radio station I've ever listened to. Of course, you get what you pay for.

They had a great DJ who retired (Les somebody?), I can't remember his name.

Since COVID I haven't been in the car very much so it's difficult for me to opine on how things are going these days. I could listen on my computer and studio monitors too, but for some reason I never really got hooked on that. (Too busy watching MSNBC on cable).

User Info Menu

I listen to mlb in the car using the mlb app on my phone, no need for a satellite radio. I also use my phone for music. I use Android Auto, and YT Music comes up on the display, ready to play. There isn't much you can't do on your smartphone these days. I don't even bother with the nav system in the car, because Google Maps is better, and has current traffic info.

I have the YT family plan so my kids and their spouses can use it. The price is barely more than an individual subscription. We also share Hulu, Netflix, etc, but I rarely bother with any of it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    I listen to Jazz stations on my Amazon Echo, mainly one called "Bebop Jazz" ( I think it is a Pandora station), and I would like to have more variety. I have a chance to get a Sirius subscription. Can someone tell me if their Jazz Channel(s) are any good? Do they have variety? Do they possibly sub-divide between different sub-genres such as Bebop, Ragtime, Modern Jazz?

Thanks and I hope you are all doing well.

AR

I spent seven years as a long-haul truck driver. SiriusXM is pretty much a must in that profession if you want somewhat reliable radio.

In my opinion, if you're looking for variety, you won't find it on SiriusXM. Like any radio station, each channel has a handful of tunes that they play incessantly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    I enjoy Real Jazz. It's easily the best jazz radio station I've ever listened to. Of course, you get what you pay for.

They had a great DJ who retired (Les somebody?), I can't remember his name.

Since COVID I haven't been in the car very much so it's difficult for me to opine on how things are going these days. I could listen on my computer and studio monitors too, but for some reason I never really got hooked on that. (Too busy watching MSNBC on cable).
    They seem to have some good shows on RealJazz. I listen from time to time. I got into a pretty low cost membership a couple of years ago when I got a new vehicle. I go back and forth between streaming and Sirius.

I find the rock stations rather funny. Earle Bailey…I imagine him as the incarnation of my old dear departed friend Richard, who was a DJ and talk show host for many years and had a similar taste in music. Earle has a fixation with some fairly obscure bands like Manassas and Cactus. He also likes sideman projects like John Entwhistle.

One of the more interesting shows on Sirius is Steve Parrish on the Grateful Dead channel. If anybody can conjure up the hippy spirit of the 60’s better than him, I have yet to hear it.

User Info Menu

Just an aside. We travel back and forth from Buffalo, to NYC, to Maryland, and Raleigh/Durham a few times a year. It's great to have in the car not only for music, but for uninterrupted news, and we actually enjoy the comedy channel for laughs.

User Info Menu

I used to like the Riverwalk Jazz show on Real Jazz. Jim Cullum Jr. had a great band, which played trad jazz out of San Antonio. Unfortunately that's long gone, as are Jim and others in the band. Satellite radio filled a niche for a few years, but the availability of cell data coverage everywhere, and the price going so low killed its attraction, at least for me. Why pay for a separate radio and subscription when I have unlimited streaming available, mostly via 5G, and I can always get music I like instead of having to listen to what someone else thinks the masses will like? SiriusXM is dead but just doesn't know it yet.

User Info Menu

Sirius jazz stations are fine if you like your music segregated: RealJazz (as opposed to unreal jazz?), Sinatra , 40s, blues, etc. For me nothing beats a single station that plays a variety of styles, skillfully programmed with shows hosted by living, breathing, knowledgeable personalities. I'm fortunate to live in central NJ where I can listen to WBGO Newark, which is our local public radio jazz station that plays all jazz of all kinds all the time. The WBGO app is available online for those not within range of the station's radio signal who would like to enjoy their programming. Yes, they are a public radio station so they have to periodically do the pledge drive thing but that's the nature of the beast.

User Info Menu

jazzradio.com a lot more variety than others and I often have to look at the screen because I have never heard that track not the same old thing and many young players

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by robbro@coastwifi.com
    jazzradio.com a lot more variety than others and I often have to look at the screen because I have never heard that track not the same old thing and many young players
    Hey thanks for the pointer to jazzradio.com - turns out there is a free iphone app. I'll give it a whirl.

IIRC Riverwalk was a PBS show - I used to hear it on OTA FM. You might try "Live From Here" as a cross between RW and A Prairie Home Companion. It's a musical variety show hosted by virtuoso mandolin player Chris Thiele, who actually took over PHC from Garrison Keillor. LFH has a killer house band, weekly guest artists, and comedy segments.

User Info Menu

Live From Here was cancelled last year

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BFrench
    Live From Here was cancelled last year
    Oops. Was not aware of that as I've been listening to podcasts that I saved to my phone quite a while ago!
    Here are the archives...

Live From Here