The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Rich plays a beautiful version of Eleanor Rigby and makes some mistakes. He has stream of consciousness narration, which I find really helpful and refreshing. This is worth listening to.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thinking while playing is like texting while driving. The risks out-weigh the benefits, to say the least. One.Thing.At.A.Time.
    Multi-tasking is not a myth, it's a pernicious lie.

User Info Menu

Nice arrangement.

I agree you can't think about what you're playing in a complicated arrangement ONCE you've got the fingerings down.

Playing the Beatles on guitar is more challenging than it might seem. Do you play it straight? Like a ballad, with a freewheeling tempo? With a rhythmic groove like this? How hard do you swing it?

And, whatever you play, will the audience dig it? This is especially important when you're playing well-known songs. I mean Ella could swing anything, but mess with classic rock at your peril.

User Info Menu

Not thinking. That's why there are more male guitarists than female...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    no matter what you meant, there are committed people who will find a way to prove you are offending some people :-)

User Info Menu

Okay, for clarification: men are stupid!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Thinking while playing is like texting while driving. The risks out-weigh the benefits, to say the least. One.Thing.At.A.Time.
    A nice simple way to show someone that multi-tasking often makes doing something more difficult, less accurate, and taking more time is to ask someone to say the alphabet (English for me), and count from 1 to 26.

How long does it take, and how many mistakes does one make, if one does the alphabet first (A, B, C, etc.) and then the counting (1, 2, 3, etc..) verses doing one letter than one number,, (1, A, 2, B, 3, C etc...).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Nice arrangement.

I agree you can't think about what you're playing in a complicated arrangement ONCE you've got the fingerings down.

Playing the Beatles on guitar is more challenging than it might seem. Do you play it straight? Like a ballad, with a freewheeling tempo? With a rhythmic groove like this? How hard do you swing it?

And, whatever you play, will the audience dig it? This is especially important when you're playing well-known songs. I mean Ella could swing anything, but mess with classic rock at your peril.
    This guy does ok. (ha ha). 25 years ago I played along with this album until I had blisters on my fingers and learned most of what Chet was doing.

User Info Menu

And ugly!

User Info Menu

How dare you insult my wife's judgement!!!

User Info Menu

I love Rich's playing and gorgeous tone. His talking as he plays is refreshing in my view. Its like we are visiting inside Rich's mind for a moment. Also, he reminds me of my first guitar teacher who did the very same thing.

User Info Menu

Linear thinking. And it clearly has its advantages and disadvantages, just like cross brain thinking.

User Info Menu

Those who multitask, regardless of gender, pay a cognitive price. They switch from focus to focus, not multi-focus. Both genders do that. Picture a quarterback deciding to run or pass. Or how about watching TV and drinking a beer? It's hard on the brain.

The Myth of Multitasking: Why Fewer Priorities Leads to Better Work (jamesclear.com)

User Info Menu

Conscious multitasking is indeed a myth for humans, not so for machines.

Human performance slips when performing two modestly complex simultaneous tasks, and degrades with each additional task from there.

Seems I read that somewhere, but was focusing on something else at the time.

User Info Menu

Depends what you mean by thinking. If you weren't thinking you couldn't play the guitar at all, let alone a tune, and certainly not an improvised solo.

User Info Menu

Simply:
    "If you don't know what to play-play nothing" Miles

User Info Menu

The concept of what Hal Galper calls ‘distracted concentration’ is important to musicians. If you can’t do something else while playing a piece, you don’t really know the piece for instance. Same with improv.

Rhythmic stuff is helped out by this; rhythmic independence. Guitarists usually overfocus on playing? I do anyway lol. Plectrum Guitar technique is about synchronisation; other instruments have more of an independence aspect to them, pianos and drums most obviously. Singer guitarists are also an obvious exception… maybe fingerstyle too?

User Info Menu

I think there's a lot of thinking involved to get to the point of no thinking ... in guitar playing and in life generally

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Yeah, the texting while driving thing is terrifying. So many typos ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Yeah, the texting while driving thing is terrifying. So many typos ...
    Hmm. Autocorrect won't correct your auto mistakes and will screw up your messaging.

Check these out. Autocorrect Fails From The Last 10 Years That Are Still Funny

User Info Menu

I always think where to play the next concert ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I always think where to play the next concert ...
    Some of us check out the waitresses and the chicks at nearby tables at the places we play (or guys if that's your bag).

The cigar bar where we played until last year had some seriously gorgeous women working for them. Nice as heck too. One waitress/hostess was a professional cellist, who had this job as a side gig. We never got around to having her do something musically with us.

For Frank Sinatra's birthday, we played a big show that was super crowded and a lot of fun. The bar brought in these "whiskey girls", who wore very short skirts and walked around offering shots of Knob Creek.

It was like Rat Pack heaven in that bar. The only downside was the cigar smoke. I do kind of miss it though.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Marty Grass;1140042]Those who multitask, regardless of gender, pay a cognitive price. They switch from focus to focus, not multi-focus. Both genders do that. Picture a quarterback deciding to run or pass. Or how about watching TV and drinking a beer? It's hard on the brain.

As I young man I used to drink a beer, smoke a cigarette while driving a car with a stick shift. I know, I know very dangerous and stupid, so I have stopped smoking.

User Info Menu

Even Caitlyn Jenner couldn't escape that birthright. Just sayin'

User Info Menu

Playing without thinking= danger of falling into noodling
    Playing without feeling= danger of sounding like you're practicing
    I listen to Jim Hall and so many others I admire and I note "Those are great thinkers who've mastered a great art."