User Info Menu

I haven't been on Fakebook in quite a while, but I heard a friend of mine passed away recently, and it was the only place people who knew him could interact and share their stories and their grief.

While I was there, I saw a number of sponsored ads for a company that claim, "Due to poor management of the shop, it will close down soon. All guitars are now priced at $90." Clicking on the post takes one to Special Price Offer.

Poor management or not, the store hasn't closed down, and just makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. I mean, Martin, Taylor, Fender, Gibson, Gretsches and others for $90 or so? Yeah, right. "Only one per customer," they say.

Usually, a quick pop out to the Google machine or similar results in scam reports, but oddly enough, I can find NOTHING about JMGF. A whois query on the domain reveals unsurprisingly, a Chinese registration. Still, it bothers me that no one has taken them to task for something that's fishy.

Change my mind?

And that Fakebook continues to allow them to advertise tells you all you need to know about Facebook, too.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is a scam. They post a cheap guitar shop with a bizarre URL for a while, take peoples' money, then shut down and open up again with a new URL.

Examples

If you Google some of the more typo-ridden text from one of the pages, for example "This product is available for flash sale,and stock is limited" you'll find that there are similar sites for other products, like fishing rods, bounce castles, picnic tables, gazebos, dog houses, etc. They all have nonsense URLs and similar stories about going out of business.

Unfortunately Facebook doesn't seem to vet anything.

Stay away! Sometimes I'll see several identical "Our little store is going out of business" ads with different addresses. They all funnel to places in Asia.
    FaceBook is a mine field for the guitar addict bargain hunter. 'saw one with Gretches, one for Gibson Les Pauls with prices so low they couldn't have covered postage.
    You pay and by the time it doesn't arrive and you suspect you've been ripped off, they're long gone. It's all profit for them.

User Info Menu

At $99, the 1964 ES-345 is $5 more than the 2016 ES-335. You pay for vintage.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Otterfan
    This is a scam. They post a cheap guitar shop with a bizarre URL for a while, take peoples' money, then shut down and open up again with a new URL.

Examples

If you Google some of the more typo-ridden text from one of the pages, for example "This product is available for flash sale,and stock is limited" you'll find that there are similar sites for other products, like fishing rods, bounce castles, picnic tables, gazebos, dog houses, etc. They all have nonsense URLs and similar stories about going out of business.

Unfortunately Facebook doesn't seem to vet anything.