Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 50 of 50
    Quote Originally Posted by joelf View Post
    Got an interview this coming Monday to teach in a Westchester store for the same co. I teach for now. They're looking for someone like me. (The Greenwich, CT store also said call when I move. They have online opportunities).

And I sign my lease Tuesday and get a key, so I can start moving stuff in.

Talk about things falling into place...
    Got the gig, I think. A lot easier when you're in-house...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Moving SUCKS! I'm one guy packing my car w/boxes and bringing stuff up the elevator 6-10 trips a pop with a cheap luggage cart. Works though.

My easy chair; Clavinova (which I'm crazy to move b/c the contact needs a repair---the Cs and F#s don't play intermittently); and mattress (bed no good, gonna buy one and a box spring) will go in a friend's van.

It needs a coat rack or portable closet, and I want to get an area rug---linoleum floor, are you kidding? I saw a cute breakfast nook w/2 chairs and an underneath wine rack for under $200.

Can't wait til it's over. The commute blows, especially Philly-CT to drop the s$$t off. 3 more trips I figure, then I'm golden...

User Info Menu

the contact needs a repair---the Cs and F#s don't play intermittently.
    That’s not a problem, Joel - just think Db Lydian [cowbell]. Actually, they’re the only ones that work, if the rest play intermittently. They shouldn’t play at all unless you press them [rim shot].

Glad to hear it’s coming together! I’m sure it’s been hard schlepping back and forth - I hope this move is the final schlep for a long time and everything is great, my friend.

Word. From here on in I move only when the guy with the gun to my head tells me to.

OK---or for Snickerdoodles...

All moved in, though the 8 carloads and 1 guy moving and dropping s%%t off a crap luggage cart; commute through 4 states for a month; etc. damn near killed me.

Had my 1st student in the Mt. Kisco store Thursday. My new crib is cute, and Billy Strayhorn sits in portraiture above middle C on my piano---just like before.

I not only don't feel like drop kicking anyone, but---apologies to 'Jaws', when Nurse Diesel said he could kill Thorndike in High Anxiety---'Life is GOOD!!'...

User Info Menu

conversation i heard on you tube....``Most players these days can’t develop a melodic solo in keeping with the true nature of the tune. It’s all pyrotechnics and chord substitutions.``..``Also Ben Webster went to play a lot less and even closer to the melody``..``The best jazz musicians start close to the melody, go on an adventure then bring it back home in a tight bundle that makes sense all along.``...

User Info Menu

8 cars full? You’re living’ large, Joel! I thought you were a minimalist

I’m glad to hear you’re settled in. We miss you at the club - believe it or not, people have asked if you’re coming back to jam with us.

Here’s to a fine 5782!

David

Commuting=s%%%t!!!!...

Man, stress is a bitch! It has you making mistakes b/c you're in an advanced adrenaline mode and not thinking calmly.

The stressors in the last month: the major one was moving all my s%%t pretty much by my lonesome---driving cars full through 4 states to move stuff in piecemeal. Then there was the long, expensive commutes from Philly to Manhattan, where I was able to stay over with people on work nights (that's over now, another stressor); Philly to CT, where I now live; Manhattan or CT to Staten Island. OK, that's the cost of doing business and I like the work---but the point is the STRESS, and what it does to one's brain.

I had to take Covid tests 2 weeks ago, b/c a guy I was in close range with averred that he had had a test, results not in, but didn't feel right. He was masked on the gig, mine was (stupidly, as in the case of the young folks in the bistro) down. He came up positive, and I had to lose a week's work as a result. Couldn't in all conscience risk exposing kids I teach and the adults I work with til the results of my tests came in. The good news: both the rapid and other test results were negative.

But here's how the pile on manifested in behavioral hiccups: 1. I lost my car keys---car parked in Hastings, NY to avoid driving into Manhattan. I ALWAYS keep one key in my right pants pocket, the other in my bag. Well, I managed to lose both, or so I thought. I figured one slipped out as I was working with the Manhattan guy, as I helped him clean his crib. His family searched and searched, before I ponied up for a locksmith---and came up empty. But I KNOW the goddamn key is there somewhere. $195 later I was able to get into my car and drive home, and guess what? The other key was on the car floor the entire f^^*ing time---had a feeling it was, but couldn't see it from outside. If I had, a cop w/a Slim Jim could've saved me all that moolah---and I was running on empty this week, had to borrow $ for gas, between all the moving costs; tools; furniture; etc.

2. Getting lost driving routes I know well---I just was so weirded out from everything I didn't pay attention and missed exits, etc---Tuesday was bad, drove 50 miles too far South, extra bridge toll---then, way more egregious, fell asleep when I was supposed to be working with the 2nd guy. It was cool job-wise---his mother understood how exhausted I was---but it's not cool with ME. Unprofessional and inexcusable. As for the moved teaching gig I came late twice in a row---the 2 FIRST weeks, not a good way to start out. Reason? The GPS took me out of my way and I messed up the google map instructions on a faster route.

It's OK now, the worst is over. And in the scheme of things how bad/important were my little misadventures? Not very. But what can be learned from this? Are some people drawn to turbulence; the 'edge'; doing it the hard way---as I believe I am and want to change course? What measures can be taken to avoid mistakes that can prove expensive? I guess taking a step back from impulsive forging ahead. Before leaving a place: 'OK, asshole, got everything? Car keys?' Head attached?

I've always been attracted to Zen philosophies and practice, but my attempts to study with people and practice were halfway ones. But it's never too late. Other things that are calming/anchoring (for me, at least): calligraphy. Always wanted to study it, b/c it would help my chart-writing, and the lettering is beautiful and, most important, it's a FOCUSING process.

And---done and approached correctly---there's nothing more calming and therapeutic than music itself. Yesterday was a day off---time to go over lead sheets at the piano; get back with the trumpet, since I lost traction w/all the life changes interrupting me; of course the guitar.

And no beating myself up. Just look in the mirror and redirect. Straight ahead...

User Info Menu

you need to slow down advice head to a pharmacy and get your blood pressure checked...i must get my old printer out and print some music..sick of PDF scrolling...therapeutic too..ink paper etc..

Quote Originally Posted by voxsss View Post
    you need to slow down first advice head to a pharmacy and get your blood pressure checked...
    Thanks. My blood pressure is always textbook-perfect, no matter my state of mind. I DO have high cholesterol, under control with a statin. Looking forward to reuniting with my old Dr. in Riverdale---a peach---after being stuck with the hated 'Dr. No', a woman with a little blood in her ice water system, in Disfunctionadelphia. I am quite overweight for my short height, and also sedentary since driving again. Gotta do something about this and I will...

User Info Menu

lol

Maybe this cautionary tale can morph into a discussion beyond my little bubble. Maybe this can evolve into a thread about strategies to avoid getting up metaphoric trees.

Dive in...

User Info Menu

I aint no doctor, but please Get thy blood pressure measured. Theres good reason its pegged a silent killer. If your weight to height ratio is not “good” it can be quite surprising to see how it can change for the worse quickly without you noticing. We need to keep you around to foster the new metaphoric strategies thread!)))

jk
    As we said in the pharma world:
    Say yes to drugs!)

User Info Menu

Just an aside . . . I never realized until you mentioned it how many Pixar movies have one-word titles. Well, Wall-E was one hyphenated word.

Okay, back to the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzinNY View Post
    Just an aside . . . I never realized until you mentioned it how many Pixar movies have one-word titles.
    When did I mention that? I hope I at least had the good taste not to name names. It's a guy I work with who's hung up on this stuff. Sad, sad, sad---he's brilliant and we all really dig him and want the best----but he's SO disturbed...

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter View Post
    I aint no doctor, but please Get thy blood pressure measured. Theres good reason its pegged a silent killer. If your weight to height ratio is not “good” it can be quite surprising to see how it can change for the worse quickly without you noticing. We need to keep you around to foster the new metaphoric strategies thread!)))

jk
    Say yes to drugs!)
    Thanks---seeing my old Dr. again next Friday and it shall be done. And I'm not so arrogant as to think that it still will be normal, given my age and obesity.

My father DID have high blood pressure and, though on medicine, had a severe stroke that finished him at 73---after lingering in a dark netherworld for 1 1/2 years. I take it QUITE seriously...

Update, FWIW: I DO like the work and the families are great people who've eased my way & made every effort to accommodate the long (and on Tuesdays costly) commute from CT. I must endure. One mother gave me an extra hour to cover part of the CT-S.I. tolls AND makes me dinner! Re Stamford, CT. my building and that commute:

Well, the good 1st: My apartment is cheap and cute. It's quiet -and I can practice and compose unharrassed ; I get parking for $40/month; free electric. The super is a godsend---assembled ALL my mail order furniture, would have done it free, but I insisted on paying him. This was a big deal b/c I can't assemble 2 sticks---assembly for me was back in elementary school, Wednesdays, with a white shirt and red tie.

The bad: it's a senior building, but unlike my way better managed and populated building back in Philly this building seems filled with busybodies who have their nose in everyone's business, b/c they've nothing else to do but sleep & watch TV. I DID start off on the wrong foot, moving almost everything myself in about 6 trips, car loaded. I'd drop something off the flimsy luggage cart and cuss---making them think I was coarse or nuts. This week I had a bad gas leak in my car, and until I could fix it yesterday walked on eggshells---one guy here for reasons only he understands hates me. Dunno if he has any influence w/the building board, and don't want to wait to find out. So I parked in the street Friday night; came down 3 times last night with buckets of water and Ajax to wash away the gas stains at my parking spot; and was VERY lucky to find a shop -in the Bronx to fix it right and cheap. But everyone in the building, it seemed, was sniffing around, looking for a scandal almost. One guy was looking at my car, and another lady just about confronted me AFTER it was fixed. Gasoline is dangerous, and of course they had a point, but so far here it fees like the Bundt is operating full speed. But I guess it'll calm down if I low-key it and act cordial from now on.

But the commute IS killing my car, which already has 219K miles on it. So my plan: save a lot of dough this year and move closer to NYC. The upside to the commute: the Saw Mill; Hutch; 287 E; and Merritt Parkways are beautiful and verdant. I've always loved Westchester, and if you have an hour's drive why not enjoy the scenery? . It's getting better; I love the new people in my life---and the next step: re-establish myself on the NYC music scene, while looking into the haps in Westchester and Fairfield County.

More news as it develops...

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter View Post

jk
    Say yes to drugs!)
    Thanks again. Had a great reunion with my former and now current Riverdale primary care Dr.---'Dr. K'. She's a great soul and fine physician. Blood pressure and blood was taken, and the obesity (worse than I even thought---weighing in at an un-svelte 193---ugh!) broached by me. I'm walking a lot more and watching my diet, but it seems hard, hard, hard to shed even 1 pound.

Straight ahead though...

Update:

The job is winding down, and I'm teaching and playing more now. I'm down to 2 days on it and soon it'll be 1.

It's been a great experience, and a hell of a learning curve. I'd always taught, but never this population. I had to read situations and formulate plans to teach and deal with these very special people---on the fly. I didn't do too badly and learned a whole lot.

With people who are obsessive, and feel the need to talk about their obsession in a way that seems one-track (a hallmark of autism) this is what I ended up doing: I would first see how focused they could be on a music lesson on a given day and adjust the goal accordingly. If it was a day when they could mostly focus only on what was in their heads I taught in small sessions, with lots of breaks. Sometimes engaging them in conversation in their topic worked OK. It was release for them and they saw I was on their side. After they wound down I'd gently guide it back to the music lesson. It did get results.

Other times I could get an hour or two, breaks in-between, in on a music lesson, out of 4-7 hour shifts. What I didn't know was: these guys, being extraordinarily bright and sensitive, when I thought they were only in their heads they actually were right with me and what we were doing. There's plenty of room in their brains for things other than the obsession.

One guy, who is absolutely brilliant---and also very high-spectrum---is most accomplished on violin (out of guitar; violin; and piano). His teacher is a disciplinarian, and it's focused drilling, drilling, drilling. I'm naturally more lax, with a different teaching approach, plus I was new to this. I wanted to try what she was doing successfully.

So yesterday I used that drilling method I copped from her, and just started a lesson: reading out of the Melodic Rhythms book---1st few pages. I showed him the scale fingering first. (He had been playing 1st-position folk type chords before, but dug playing and singing standards at the piano, so I'd explained about how to transfer that kind of standard/jazz harmony to guitar with 3-string voicings. He got it, and got a good foundation for jazz comping). He had never played these kinds of rhythms before on guitar or fingered beyond 1st position, but not only could he execute the studies in 3rd but was focused like a laser the whole time. We went to the piano after a break, and I asked him to sight-read songs from Avenue Q---a musical neither of of us knew any songs from. He just had the vocal/piano score on his shelf. He mostly nailed it. Whatever made it happen it was the most productive day I've ever had with him.

What I learned from these two amazing guys is that working with people---all kinds of people---isn't that different than playing jazz: if you can listen and react it'll work out somehow...

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit View Post
    8 cars full? You’re living’ large, Joel! I thought you were a minimalist

I’m glad to hear you’re settled in. We miss you at the club - believe it or not, people have asked if you’re coming back to jam with us.

Here’s to a fine 5782!

David
    I saw that my Philly friend singer Maci Miller is gigging there. If you see her please give her my best...

User Info Menu

I saw that my Philly friend singer Maci Miller is gigging there. If you see her please give her my best...
    Maci's agreed to be the vocalist in The Philly Blues Kings - she starts doing our weekly Sunday blues brunch on Dec 5. I'm thrilled to have her with us and hoping to get her to a few of the Thursday night jazz shows with my trio.

New Job & possible move-with_maci2-jpg

She was able to stop in for a few tunes yesteday. We broke the rules against jazz at the blues brunch, and I got to use my 7 as it was meant to be used - solo backing for a fabulous vocal artist!

New Job & possible move-with_maci_just_me-jpg

Should anyone ever want to know, a silver face Vibrolux does not do justice to a walking bass line on a 7. It's been great for the blues, but the 7th string has limited utility in a blues band. When playing with my jazz trio (bass & drums), I also tread lightly on the 7th because our bass player fills the bottom very nicely. When he solos, I pretend I'm Ron Eschete and provide a quiet bass line along with comping - but I keep the volume way down behind the bass. Yesterday was the first time I used it for solo backing of a vocalist - it was pinched, nasal, and flagrantly flatulant below E6. The DVM Jazz 12 does a much better job way down, as does the CS PR. The Vibrolux will stay in the backline and I'll use it for straight bues shows - but not if there's even a chance that an artist I'm backing will want to do something just with guitar.

Stay safe, Joel - we wish you joy and success on your continuing adventure.

David
    Last edited by nevershouldhavesoldit; 11-15-2021 at 10:45 PM.

Maci's agreed to be the vocalist in The Philly Blues Kings - she starts doing our weekly Sunday blues brunch on Dec 5. I'm thrilled to have her with us and hoping to get her to a few of the Thursday night jazz shows with my trio.

New Job & possible move-with_maci2-jpg

She was able to stop in for a few tunes yesteday. We broke the rules against jazz at the blues brunch, and I got to use my 7 as it was meant to be used - solo backing for a fabulous vocal artist!

New Job & possible move-with_maci_just_me-jpg
    Yeah---good people, good, interesting singer. We got along great. Please give her a shout out...

Yeah---good people, good, interesting singer. We got along great. Please give her a shout out...
    Actually it's cool---just reached out myself. Great lady and I'm glad we met...

Should anyone ever want to know, a silver face Vibrolux does not do justice to a walking bass line on a 7. It's been great for the blues, but the 7th string has limited utility in a blues band. When playing with my jazz trio (bass & drums), I also tread lightly on the 7th because our bass player fills the bottom very nicely....David
    You're braver than me to play one at all. With my little hands I'd be dead in the water with a 7-string. I couldn't even negotiate a classical 6-string I bought once. Neck was too big. Anyway, a steel-strung 6-string, acoustic or electric---being a better fit---works OK for me, so I'm cool.

(But one day I'll get off my lazy ass and look at the Van Eps solos book----which I've had for decades but have yet to crack)...