Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

“The good, bad, and ugly of guitar/gear forums”
    Blog

I enjoy guitar/gear forums, and I’d say 98% of the participants are cool, helpful, and fun to chat with. But occasionally we find a few interesting individuals who can make the experience slightly less than perfect. These are in no particular order. Let me know if I missed any.

1. The "I won't answer your question because you're asking the wrong question" guy
    What you need to know is always trumped by what he needs you to know.

2. The over-explainer
    Why post a short paragraph when a full dissertation will suffice? (I’m guilty of this one, read my blog post about compensated saddles, I apologize ahead of time)

3. The guy who answers every question with “just practice more”…

4. The "let me link you to five previous threads because heaven forbid we discuss THIS again" guy.
    -Bless his heart, he’s just be trying to save you time. But regardless, next time you encounter this guy immediately ask for his opinion on tone woods

5. The mod who is definitely the president of his homeowners association.
    It’s a tough job but someone’s gotta overdo it.

6. The angry for no apparent reason guy
    This guy is pissed and nobody knows why. His usual habitat is the comment section of a YouTube video, but he visits us from time to time. Maybe his dog died, maybe his girlfriend left him for a bass player, maybe his bass player left him for a Nickelback cover band. Nobody knows, tread lightly.

7. The guy whose response is so off topic you wonder if he read beyond the OP’s title.
    This guy is at his best when he’s slightly peeved. And even better when you ask him if he actually read your post and he replies that he doesn’t have time to read everything on the internet…

8. The “my age qualifies my opinion” guy
    This dude has played guitar longer than you’ve been alive. And don’t forget it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

9. The "why are you posting in a thread that's 7 years old" guy
    Dude tries to make you feel stupid for 'resurrecting a Zombie thread', even though the discussion is still relevant. There might even be some new information that's come to light since then. You just landed there by the search button, not wanting to anger guy#4 with a new thread on an old topic!

(BTW: I'm guy #8 if I'm anything, and don't you forget it! :-)

User Info Menu

10: The ‘I never played the brand you are asking about, but I have this other super custom brand and it’s great’.

11: The guy who argues in a For Sale thread about how he hates the guitar being sold, anyone buying it is a fool, Yada yada.’

User Info Menu

12. The guy who was there.
    Nothing you can say about that great moment in musical history has any value, because he was there, when it happened, and he will tell you why everything you know is wrong. In fact, he was there at most of the great moments in musical history, and those he missed are really not that important.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kmaxbrady
    5. The mod who is definitely the president of his homeowners association.
    It’s a tough job but someone’s gotta overdo it.
    This was my favorite, for two reasons. One, I was a mod here once, so, ouch. I get it. Two, my wife is a property manager and works with some HOA boards. (We also live in a condo and the current board president...well, let's just say we are not fans.)

User Info Menu

There's also the guy who complains that someone posted something dumb / wrong / insane in "his" thread and that the offending post must be deleted immediately and the poster should be banned, or at least suspended for a few weeks.

User Info Menu

13. The guy who derails everything with a clever pun, reference to a classic rock song or movie, or reference to Monty Python.

Unanticipated response?

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition.

User Info Menu

14. The guy who starts the exact same threat on several different guitar forums.

User Info Menu

The guy that posts just a guitar pic hoping someone will ask what it is.

User Info Menu

16. The guy who likes to make everything a deep social debate, turning the thread into an argument about things like religion, politics, gender, etc...

While I do enjoy hearing folk's thoughts on the topics (every so often, I get info that can make me adjust my point of view), once the thread starts getting really ugly, its probably best to shut it down.

To be fair, one person's definition of "ugly" might be another's idea of simply a "spritited debate." So, that complicates a moderator's job of trying to allow fair exchange versus censorship. Also, when discussing music history, I would say it is hard to do without also addressing the social factors that shaped it. I can see how conversations can drift into these territories.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    13. The guy who derails everything with a clever pun, reference to a classic rock song or movie, or reference to Monty Python.

Unanticipated response?

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition.
    I hate to say it, Doc, but I find these types of comments often very amusing. But, I see what you are saying as they can bring around 15 comments in response that are off-topic as well.

User Info Menu

17. The guy who starts a thread here and then runs a real-time commentary on his Facebook page on how lame the posters on jazzguitar.be (who he refers to as "couch-players" and worse) are for responding to his thread (for real).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    The guy that posts just a guitar pic hoping someone will ask what it is.
    so what is the guitar in your picture?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    so what is the guitar in your picture?
    I see what you did just then!

User Info Menu

The guy with way too many expensive guitars who starts a thread every time a new one arrives, (with many pictures).
    He can go on and on about woods, inlays, bracing, etc. but has never posted one word about actually making music.

User Info Menu

Threads where posters can’t recognize opinions vs feelings vs facts vs total BS.
    I hold them in with the group of:
    ”i haven’t read this thread, but I…..”

User Info Menu

18. The guy who says "this escalated quickly."

User Info Menu

Those that know everything about everything but never post videos of themselves playing.....

User Info Menu

The guy with way too many expensive guitars who starts a thread every time a new one arrives, (with many pictures).
    He can go on and on about woods, inlays, bracing, etc. but has never posted one word about actually making music. HAHAHA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voxsss
    He can go on and on about woods, inlays, bracing, etc. but has never posted one word about actually making music. HAHAHA
    I always want to hear them.

tbh with some high end guitars sometimes they look amazing and sound like crud…

User Info Menu

something to be said for something thats been crafted and put together by skilled hands..i watched some guitar factory with machines that assembled the process ..not impressed..