The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 69

User Info Menu

I'm guessing most of you don't have the time for this, but if you're bored here is 12tone disagreeing with the statement that today's music is bad

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

He starts with a sigh
    so therefore, must I.

"Le sigh"... the ubiquitous "doodle dialog" style of presentation, where you know going in that you will be subjected to fast talk with quick drawing distraction accompaniment. The presenter will read a script of continuous verbal blather and draw inane images that obliquely relate, all at about twice as fast as an actual thoughtful deliberative presentation.

Hearing the clips of the three 2021 tunes released by Grammy winning artists he admits he cherry picked, ("that all of them are doing something interesting"), was my point to bail. I consider his shining examples not only boring, not only uninteresting, but repulsive and unmusical.

I'm not really being overly harsh. Much of the music I dearly love would be considered absolutely unlistenable to the vast majority of people. I would never try to convince them otherwise; it's still OK to "get it" or "not", no?

User Info Menu

So my take is technology has replaced professional musicians, arrangers,etc...
    Try that same formula with any other business, and see how fast it gets stopped.
    With this also comes less leople involved in the proccess hence less creative input along the way.
    But if someone gets a hit this way, it's sure a lot cheaper!

Pop Music compared to John Coltrane is basically like comparing McDonald's to 4 Star Michelin restaurant. So bad choice for comparison maybe use The Beatles early period as well as Sting and The Police early recordings.
    Both of those groups went way beyond normal Pop Music and sold albums,not so much singles.

Today's music does SUCK! And even if it doesn't lack harmonically ,melodicly, etc.
    It lacks Synergy of musicians recording together, and or playing without a Click Track and Pro Tools sanitizing the warts,mistakes that make us relate to great musical performances.

Rick Beato was way too kind in his critique! So for the rest of you especially in a Jazz Forum. My suggestion is first go back and listen to the great performances of Louis Armstrong up to say Weather Report. And then try listening to today's music,LOL !

User Info Menu

Well that Bryan Adams reference seems purpose designed to make me feel a hundred years old.

User Info Menu

Anyway Laura’s new album dropped a few weeks back

User Info Menu

I left at 4:38.

User Info Menu

I was reminded of the passage in W. C. Sellar and R. J. Yeatman's 1066 and All That: A Memorable History of England, in which the English Civil War was described as, 'the utterly memorable Struggle between the Cavaliers (Wrong but Wromantic) and the Roundheads (Right but Repulsive).'

User Info Menu

So the Weather Report Music is TOO INTENSE? I just want to make sure I'm on a Jazz Forum again.

User Info Menu

Maybe it needs more notes

User Info Menu

Ariana Grande gamely trying to find the groove in the middle of a math jazz jam.

However, that ain't Pop music these days. Traveling around town, more than half of what I hear coming out of cars is "music" with neither melody nor harmonic structure – just repetitive rhythm and ranting, angry voices. What "songs" I hear that do have a melody and harmonic content seem like the equivalent of prefab houses rather than collaborative efforts. A random singer is just inserted into the mix and usually could have been anyone.

However, I am not the target demographic for pop music being that I'm 61. Pop music is still the prerogative of high school and college age people for the most part. What sells is what they find in some way meaningful and I am not the arbiter of that! If I was, I'd make a heck of a lot more money than I make working for a living.
    Last edited by Cunamara; 07-17-2021 at 06:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Maybe interesting pop music was a brief phase, an artefact of the boomer generation. Maybe western culture has returned to normalcy. Once again, pop songs are merely trivia created by music corporations to separate teenagers from their money.

User Info Menu

Boomer pop music?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    It did top the end of the year billboard top 100 in 1969, so ... ?

But maybe that is already to late

The top song from 1965?
    No, Today's Music Isn't Boring (A Response To Rick Beato)-wooly-jpg

User Info Menu

It did top the end of the year billboard top 100 in 1969, so ... ?

But maybe that is already to late

The top song from 1965?
    Whoa, I love "Sugar Sugar", "Wooly Bully" AND John Coltrane. And Bach for that matter. Don't be L7. ;o)

User Info Menu

Hey hey .. Never said that I don't like boomer music ..

Question for you Mark

Is this song an example of how great the music of those times was or is it a shining example of how shitty it was?

(It's both, right? )
    O, man, I hadn't heard that song in years. A must-know guitar riff in my youth.
    Maybe it is both!
    Another long song: "Time Has Come Today" by The Chambers Brothers.

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting Wooly Bully.

The reservoir of great popular music from those happy bygone days is bottomless.

User Info Menu

Two questions:
    What exactly made the boomer generation pop music interesting?
    When exactly did pop music become trivia created by music corporations to separate teenagers from their money?
    1. For the most part it isn't. Is "Baby Let's Play House" really that much more interesting musically than "Oops I Did It Again"? On the other hand, some of the late 60s stuff like Jefferson Airplane was actually interesting. A psychedelic rock hit based on a bolero?

2. When rock and roll was found to sell millions of records fast. So maybe "Rocket 88" by Ike Turner and the Kings of Rhythm (under a pseudonym) in 1951?

User Info Menu

Point is there's tons of crap music in all generations, it's just that I can't find any good music in the last 10 years or the invention of YouTube and lack of actual musicians that are involved in making it.

I will say Dirty Loops is probably one of the only ones. But even then it doesn't verge on say Heavy Weather by Zawinul and Company.

I keep saying this adnaseum, but Music has become mainly a visual medium and less an audio one.

joelf Guest
    Take any group of people at any age .. Put on Weather Report and you're going to make 4 out of 5 of them miserable.

Some of their stuff is meme like
    I found them increasingly pompous and bombastic after the 1st few albums. Wayne Shorter was wasted in that group, and probably too humble to go toe-to-toe with the towering ego of Zawinul (the pomposity puppeteer in the group).

I admit that Zawinul's unlikeability interferes with my enjoyment of the group---and that shouldn't be. But those banks of keyboards; the looping on Birdland; the battle of egos it became, like a jazz Cream...

For the record he WAS a great talent, player and writer. I just heard more humility and musicality in the Cannonball/Soulmates period. But he ate Weather Report whole...

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gcb
    Thanks for posting Wooly Bully.

The reservoir of great popular music from those happy bygone days is bottomless.

Brian Wilson is pretty damn impressive. The esteem most musicians have for him is totally justified.

Pop people don't know how much the Beach Boys were influenced by the Hi-Los (Gene Puerling, genius) and the Four Freshmen. Here's proof:

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Whoa, I love "Sugar Sugar", "Wooly Bully" AND John Coltrane. And Bach for that matter. Don't be L7. ;o)
    I LOVED Wooly Bully when it came out! (I was 10, vacationing in upstate NY). I love it still. They were entertaining; had a visual 'hook' (why the hell not if the music's happening?) and the song has a hell of a beat. Lou Dennis (flute) & myself played it as recently as 2 years ago in Surburban Sta., Philly. People still smile when it's played...

joelf Guest
    Hey hey .. Never said that I don't like boomer music ..

Question for you Mark

Is this song an example of how great the music of those times was or is it a shining example of how shitty it was?

(It's both, right? )
    Forget the ridiculous get-ups---it was the '60s and EVERYONE was milking hippiedom. But this is a way more interesting song w/a downright spooky and memorable progression. Wastes the Butterfly, 30 seconds of the 1st round:

(Gotta love Rick Moranis in lotus position on guitar!)...

joelf Guest
    I thought this was a hell of a film, but it also shows the incredibly inflated egos of some of the '60s rockers.

Don't get me wrong: I had the same heroes as my '60s-early '70s buddies. We haunted the Fillmore East. I saw a lot of these guys live. Cream holds up with some good songs and they were individual talents. Jack Bruce was a nice writer.

But Ginger Baker a drum giant? A JAZZ drummer? Pul-eeze. The man played everything at the same thudding dynamic level. To hear HIM tell it he was the s$%t. (Oh, I forgot about the endorsement of Music Giant Johnny Rotten---my bad!) With Vernell Fournier in the world, ladies and gentlemen of the jury? LOL...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Point is there's tons of crap music in all generations, it's just that I can't find any good music in the last 10 years or the invention of YouTube and lack of actual musicians that are involved in making it.

I will say Dirty Loops is probably one of the only ones. But even then it doesn't verge on say Heavy Weather by Zawinul and Company.

I keep saying this adnaseum, but Music has become mainly a visual medium and less an audio one.
    No good music in the last 10 years? Really? How about War on Drugs? Jr Jr? QOTSA? Arcade Fire? How about new prog metal groups like Animals as Leaders, or older ones still churning out interesting stuff like Opeth or Dream Theatre?

Also a ton of interesting stuff from smaller bands & individuals that you never would have heard before youtube.

(PS thanks for mentioning Dirty Loops. Hadn't heard of them before and I'm listening to Hit Me now. Good stuff!)

User Info Menu

I cant music without Soul in it. That goes for every genre from Hank Williams, Bach, Chuck Berry, James Brown, The Beatles, The Police, Led Zepplin, to Coltrane, George Benson, etc.

Although there are currently talented musicians, there's no great Music any longer,in my opinion!