Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 69 of 69
  1. #51

    User Info Menu

    Lobomov you're missing the point. It's not a troll on the bridge scenario, it's about how the public doesn't value musicians who actually are doing it for a living.
    Try putting tip jars out for any other line if work other than entertainment, as a viable way to survive.

    Chuck Berry and the others you mention all hired studio musicians to record their famous albums. Look at The Wrecking Crew, Muscle Shoals, American Studio, Sea Saint Studios in New Orleans, Motown, etc.
    They were paid and often not enough!

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #52

    User Info Menu

    So here's my take. I consider myself a kid, and I'd be lying if I said I "hate the pop music that today's young'uns listen to! How do they enjoy that crap!?", because frankly, I am one of today's young'uns. XD But I can understand where y'all are coming from. I think jads57 put it best: "Pop Music compared to John Coltrane is basically like comparing McDonald's to 4 Star Michelin restaurant." I would agree with that comparison. McDonald's doesn't have very good food -- everyone knows that. But people eat it because they like it anyway. Most people enjoy it because it reminds them of when they were a kid, and getting McNuggets from McDonald's was a rare treat that meant a day was going to be extra-special. As a kid grows up, they realize that there's much better food than chicken nuggets from McDonald's -- steak, cheesecake, high-end bison burgers, etc. But, they never stop eating McDonald's.

    I love listening to music from the late 2000s and early 2010s because it reminds me of being a little kid. I realize the music isn't very good, but it conveys a feeling of nostalgia, and for me, that's enough. Even music that I didn't listen to when I was a kid, like music from modern Broadway (e.g. Hamilton, Dear Evan Hansen, In the Heights) is still good in my opinion, because it conveys a feeling. I tend to not like today's pop music because it is not nostalgic for me, and frankly, it is very unemotional and meaningless. But "today's music" doesn't just mean pop; it also means Broadway music, lofi, etc. I think it's tempting to judge all modern music under one banner of "unartful and bad trash", but I think it's worth noting that there are still artists today who are very talented. I don't mean the likes of Katy Perry or Doja Cat, but rather I'm speaking of actually good singers, like Phillipa Soo or Melissa Berrera, or talented composers, like Lin-Manuel Miranda or Pasek and Paul.

  4. #53

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by cfwoodland
    So here's my take. I consider myself a kid, and I'd be lying if I said I "hate the pop music that today's young'uns listen to! How do they enjoy that crap!?", because frankly, I am one of today's young'uns. XD But I can understand where y'all are coming from. I think jads57 put it best: "Pop Music compared to John Coltrane is basically like comparing McDonald's to 4 Star Michelin restaurant." I would agree with that comparison. McDonald's doesn't have very good food -- everyone knows that. But people eat it because they like it anyway. Most people enjoy it because it reminds them of when they were a kid, and getting McNuggets from McDonald's was a rare treat that meant a day was going to be extra-special. As a kid grows up, they realize that there's much better food than chicken nuggets from McDonald's -- steak, cheesecake, high-end bison burgers, etc. But, they never stop eating McDonald's.

    I love listening to music from the late 2000s and early 2010s because it reminds me of being a little kid. I realize the music isn't very good, but it conveys a feeling of nostalgia, and for me, that's enough. Even music that I didn't listen to when I was a kid, like music from modern Broadway (e.g. Hamilton, Dear Evan Hansen, In the Heights) is still good in my opinion, because it conveys a feeling. I tend to not like today's pop music because it is not nostalgic for me, and frankly, it is very unemotional and meaningless. But "today's music" doesn't just mean pop; it also means Broadway music, lofi, etc. I think it's tempting to judge all modern music under one banner of "unartful and bad trash", but I think it's worth noting that there are still artists today who are very talented. I don't mean the likes of Katy Perry or Doja Cat, but rather I'm speaking of actually good singers, like Phillipa Soo or Melissa Berrera, or talented composers, like Lin-Manuel Miranda or Pasek and Paul.

  5. #54

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Thank you! I'm glad to be here.

  6. #55

    User Info Menu

    Well the fact that most of you arent Professional Musicians as a living, says a lot about your viewpoints.
    While I can see some legitimacy in some things, mostly it comes down to not living in a working professional musicians shoes.

    Broadway Shows were mentioned. Most musicians have been replaced by synth and drum machines, and very few real players. Sure costs are cut, but are ticket prices and or profits?
    Pop Music is more popular than ever, but the free and Spotify models don't provide revenues to produce it.

    If people are happy with machines and 4 bar adnaseum and Rap. Well music as a profession, art, and higher form is over! People like George Martin, Arif Mardin, Claire Fischer, as well as engineers and all of the great studio musicians don't work for FREE!

  7. #56

    User Info Menu

    Sigh.

    'It ain't over til it's over'...

  8. #57

    User Info Menu

    Slow Deaths are the Worst!

  9. #58

    User Info Menu

    I figured I'd put this vid by the same guy here, rather than start another thread. It IS along the same lines.

    I'm starting to like this guy---hope I'm not making a mistake. I see guitars in the background, otherwise I'd figure him for a music sociologist; critic---or some other egghead stripe.

    In the 1st few minutes I was ready to dismiss him as a slumming weirdo desperate to prove he's hip by talking about only the marquee names---no soldiers, none of the folks jazz people in the know would know. (Kind of like Van Morrison's ridiculous pastiche, Moondance---the over-emphasized accents, etc.). And I found his over-effusive praise of certain people mildly irritating.

    OK, so he's not a jazzer. Ain't gonna shoot the guy. And after about 10 minutes I realized that his research and analysis of the slipping popularity of jazz to be very worth hearing. (Disclosure: his views sometimes parallel my own). He's right about bebop, a musician's music (but still danceable if you REALLY listened) turning off a lot of casual listeners and the jitterbug crowd. Going to listen on. Your call...


  10. #59

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    (snip)
    OK, so he's not a jazzer. Ain't gonna shoot the guy. And after about 10 minutes I realized that his research and analysis of the slipping popularity of jazz to be very worth hearing. (Disclosure: his views sometimes parallel my own). He's right about bebop, a musician's music (but still danceable if you REALLY listened) turning off a lot of casual listeners and the jitterbug crowd. Going to listen on. Your call...
    To say that Rick Beato is "not a jazzer" indicates that you are unacquainted with his channel. Watch some more.

  11. #60

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by zdub
    To say that Rick Beato is "not a jazzer" indicates that you are unacquainted with his channel. Watch some more.
    That's what it seemed at 1st b/c he only mentioned the names anyone in music would know.

    I WILL watch on. The cat's intriguing. You can see his brain. (Hope it doesn't spill out---hell of a mess)...

  12. #61

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    That's what it seemed at 1st b/c he only mentioned the names anyone in music would know.

    I WILL watch on. The cat's intriguing. You can see his brain. (Hope it doesn't spill out---hell of a mess)...
    Check out one of his latest on "the greatest solo of all time" which a performance by Oscar Peterson.

    Ps, he is an excellent guitar player in numerous genres and no slouch on keyboard and drums.

  13. #62

    User Info Menu

    This guy is too cool! He knows a lot and has mentioned names I didn't know. I'm becoming a fan...

  14. #63

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    This guy is too cool! He knows a lot and has mentioned names I didn't know. I'm becoming a fan...
    It's a great channel with a diversity of interesting music topics. He taught music at a university and his earlier videos go very deep into music theory. And, of course, there are his son Dylan's amazing feats of absolute pitch which attracted a lot of folks to the channel early on.

  15. #64
    Strawberry Alarm Clock.... (There\s a sugary breakfast cereal in there somewhere)

    Yes I know the band, yes I know that they turned into Lynyrd Skynyrd, but does anyone think "Holy Crap this is 'Listen to the Flower People'?" With Roy Orbison and Velma from Scooby Doo. And a clean shaven Kurt Cobain. I only heard the song before, never got to see this.

  16. #65

    User Info Menu

    Beato doesn't talk about jazz much any more. No views in it!

  17. #66

    User Info Menu

    I bet if you use all of today's best tricks that make it sound huge and luscios and everything, jazz could be cranked up to 11 too.

  18. #67

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Trick Fleato
    Strawberry Alarm Clock.... (There\s a sugary breakfast cereal in there somewhere)

    Yes I know the band, yes I know that they turned into Lynyrd Skynyrd, but does anyone think "Holy Crap this is 'Listen to the Flower People'?" With Roy Orbison and Velma from Scooby Doo. And a clean shaven Kurt Cobain. I only heard the song before, never got to see this.

  19. #68

    User Info Menu

    jads57:”but Music has become mainly a visual medium and less an audio one

    As was said:

    “Video killed the radio star”. (The Buggles, 1979)

  20. #69

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Beato doesn't talk about jazz much any more. No views in it!
    It's "everything music"!