The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Do you laugh at your own jokes?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 60.00%
  • No

6 40.00%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Not saying there is a right way or a wrong way to tell a joke or say something funny. Just curious.

BTW, for purposes of this poll:

Sometimes = Yes
    Never laugh. Period, Full stop. = No
    I have a mental condition that causes my own spontaneous laughter = Yes

Feel free to comment. Personally my answer is No.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

...when in doubt, steal, er ' borrow ' from those who know.....or take evening classes....... : )

User Info Menu

.......Albert Brooks also has /had a bit about ' How to Tell a Joke ', which would've been perfect here but I can't find it.......( so far ) : )

User Info Menu

joelf Guest
    Hell yeah---it was good enough for Red Skelton---and the lesser likes of me...

User Info Menu

I have to laugh at my own jokes, as no one else does...

User Info Menu

Generally yes, but only if someone else laughs...I find laughter very contagious.

User Info Menu

Depends. In general I go for puns, absurdist riffs on the conversation, and the odd shaggy dog story more than jokes and one-liners. Kinda calls for deadpan delivery, but nobody's perfect.

User Info Menu

I'm all about the deadpan.

User Info Menu

I posted no because generally humorous comments in a situation (not the same as telling a joke) are meant for the other person, or for everybody. I mean, of course we smile too but it's not like somebody else said it.

But I actually know someone who, literally, laughs at their own jokes. It's as though they don't belong to them. And quite often they're so convulsed with laughter that it's all one hears. One never heard their hilarious joke, it gets drowned out by the laughter :-)

User Info Menu

What is funny is listening to someone tell a story so funny they can’t stop laughing to get the story out.

My fiancee’s family is like that—will start telling stories about their parents/grandparents, and they all start laughing til they choke before the story is even finished.

Of course I laugh at my own jokes. Gotta prime the pump, ya know.

User Info Menu

The funniest writer in New Zealand once described me as the funniest writer in New Zealand. I have written nothing since.

User Info Menu

That's funny

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I'm all about the deadpan.

The series that justified the whole MTV thing. My hero(ine).

User Info Menu

I laugh at people who don’t understand my jokes

User Info Menu

Come to think of it, I don't laugh at them because they aren't that funny.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    ...Of course I laugh at my own jokes. Gotta prime the pump, ya know.
    I think that some people can do that effectively. I do see others that habitually think what they are saying is funny, laugh as they say it, and then no one else seems to think that it is worthy of a laugh. It's the old "Joke's on them" kinda thing. That can be uncomfortable and embarrassing for others and leave the teller with a reputation of being too familiar and sometimes full of themselves.

User Info Menu

I always wanted to be a comedian but I was afraid somebody might laugh at me...bada bing, bang...

Dinah Tells a Joke