The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

I didn't know that this bill was ever on the table--that it even existed, but it excites the living heck outta me.

I hate that I have to refer to VICE to get some background, but here it is:

National Right-to-Repair Bill Filed in Congress

Can you just hear the en vogue rebellion in every word?

VICE aside, I LOVE this idea and hope this idea turns into LAW someday.

Lived in NYC. Lived in LA. Now I reside in Seattle.

Tech rules... but what happens when old tech is better than new tech? I mean, when does that EVER happen? Apple... anyone?

If anyone knows anything more about this bill, and if it will ever pass--let me know.

If it broke, don't trash it--REPAIR IT applies to our love for vintage guitars... one day, Guild Artist Award--you are MINE!

Why can't it apply to technology as well? Why do I need a SmartPhonie to take my music on the go? In the words of Paula Cole (had to look that up) "Where did all the [CD drives] go?"

I currently have an external hard-drive and external CD drive for my piece of crap Dell XPS--a laptop that was touted as an AMAZING once upon a time not so far away...

Certainly changes the way we listen to music. I'd still have that same Coltrane cassette that my dad and I listened to when I was 7 years old in the car... if I could play it--and it didn't melt in the cassette player... Oh well

Troglo-bytes among us in this "fair and fare forum", who is with me?
    Last edited by PickingMyEars; 06-30-2021 at 11:26 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I usually don't care about "other people's problems" of the world... I mean the Internet . There are so many and what can I do.
    But this.. "built like a tank" gets replaced by "build for x years and throw away" is normal. This is disgusting. And happens everywhere nowadays.

Need more badass laws. The repair thing is only a start I hope.

User Info Menu

I recently bought the M-Audio Keystation49 MK3, which sounds amazing with the included software and I love the way it plays also, and fits on my desk.

It's made out of plastic, and can be had new for $120 US or as low as $99 if you find a sale. At that price, how can it be cost effectively repaired unless you can do it yourself which I doubt I would ever be able to. That's unfortunate. Hopefully it never breaks. But I guess it's a disposable keyboard.
    Attached Images Attached Images Right To Repair-m-audio-keystation-jpg 

User Info Menu

Today I'm trying to fix our dishwasher, wish me luck.

User Info Menu

A thousand frickin' dollar cell phone should not be "disposable" within two years. That it is so is only in service of the manufacturer's profit and the interests of its shareholders. And is a testament to the economic naïveté of most consumers.

Sitting next to me is my late parents' Grundig Majestic hi-fi which they bought in 1956. It was their first purchase as a married couple, and was how I got introduced to jazz via the Nat King Cole Trio. Still works and sounds fantastic. My wife made a cake last week using a hand mixer manufactured in 1957, which she says works better than her modern ones. I also have my parents' Sunbeam toaster- same brand as the mixer- which was a wedding present to them 65 years ago. This is no longer how the world is designed and built. A new hand mixer may connect to the Internet of Things and have Bluetooth, but WTF for? Is my iPhone SE going to be working in 2084? I doubt it very much- it won't be working by 2029, in all likelihood. But then I will certainly not be operational my 2084 myself, either, as I would be 125 years old by then.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

We live in a disposable world. Products are manufactured for the cheapest retail price to serve a price obsessed public. From coffee makers to washing machines, they are cheaper to replace new than to replace the parts as was a washing machine problem I diagnosed for my brother. He paid more to replace the defective part and labor than the cost of a new machine on sale. There is planned obsolescence in just about every retail product today. That's what I love about musical instruments, guns, and sailboats.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Some things work pretty much the same for decades, even centuries. Some things don't. Conflating them all is senseless. It doesn't require much technology to toast bread. Computer technology changes almost daily, it seems. It's simply not possible to produce high-tech devices that will still be useful decades into the future, because the technology just doesn't exist yet. I have some old computer hardware from several years ago. It still would work, more or less, if I were so silly as to try, but a 100MB hard drive, and an i386 CPU aren't worth repairing if they needed it. The thousand dollar phone will still work years into the future, most likely. I still have my first smartphone in a drawer, and it boots. But it's not worth turning on, even though it does turn on. It's as obsolete as a buggy whip. It's not planned obsolescence, it's just that today's technology didn't exist yesterday. Many devices just aren't worth repairing, even if they could be. You can buy a brand new inkjet printer for less money than you have to pay just for new ink cartridges. Why repair it? The keyboard discussed above is the same. "Right to repair" is a nice concept, I guess, but perhaps a little misguided.

User Info Menu

That 10-year-old phone works because the company assumed they'd sell you 2x better phone in 2 years. That logic doesn't work anymore. Phones (and computers) got good enough years ago already. But the problem is not just electronics. It has spread like a plague into other fields. There is much less pride in making an everlasting thingamabob now.