The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 100

User Info Menu

Why was Prince not included on the Rolling Stone 100 greatest guitarists of all time.George Harrisons son Dhani on stage with Prince.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

He throws his tele away at the end...but it just disappeared in mid air. He must surely be a god?! He’s funny, but I have a lot of respect for him as a musician.

When the Prince fans complained that he wasn’t on their original list, they changed the list .. saw him at 33

User Info Menu

Prince is the best. Not necessarily at playing guitar but at a lot of other things!

User Info Menu

He was not on the list because, in the opinion of Rolling Stone, at least a hundred guitarists were better than him. He is now on the list, because fans whined.

Such is the tenor of our times.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    Prince is the best. Not necessarily at playing guitar but at a lot of other things!
    amongst many many other talents ....
    the best funk rhythm guitar player ever ever ?

who’s funkier ?

User Info Menu

I agree with ping. Guess I am a whiner.

User Info Menu

The fact that anyone thinks Rolling Stone's opinion matters anymore is humorous.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    The fact that anyone thinks Rolling Stone's opinion matters anymore is humorous.
    That's putting it mildly. Any such list with Keith Richards at #4 and Johnny Ramone at #28, among many examples, must have been meant as a joke.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu

who’s funkier ?
    There's a challenge. Don't know his name but the guitarist that played for J. Brown was funky aswell! There are more, but they are a bit anonymous. A shame really!

User Info Menu

That list was clearly more about rock influence and not ability.

And ranking ability is stupid, anyway.

That aside, Prince was an outstanding musician.

User Info Menu

who’s funkier ?
    How 'bout Bootsy and GB????
    Play live . . .Marinero

User Info Menu

Nah.

User Info Menu

Bootsy, Hiriam, David . . . FUNK!

Play live, play funky . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Here's Prince getting his funk on!

Play live . . .Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

That aside, Prince was an outstanding musician.
    I love the guy, I think he was a genius in his field, and a fantastic guitar player. I don't think it's at all out-of-line to mention him in the company of The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Eddie van Halen, or whatever other superstar who has so heavily influenced other musicians.

User Info Menu

That's in Vegas. Brilliant!

I am more into this kinda funk from him. Sonny T plays bass on this one:
    Last edited by Marcel_A; 06-04-2021 at 11:49 AM.

User Info Menu

Or this one:

Man he was good!

User Info Menu

who’s funkier ?
    Prince did the chicken grease thing as well as anyone since Jimmy Nolen. (And he picked his spots really well.)
    He was a fabulous funk rhythm guitarist. Way up there. Ahead of Nile Rodgers? Leo Nocentelli? Don't want to argue about that, but he belongs among those at the top of the heap.

User Info Menu

Prince is right in there with Nile Rodgers and Leo Nocentelli.

User Info Menu

There's a challenge. Don't know his name but the guitarist that played for J. Brown was funky aswell! There are more, but they are a bit anonymous. A shame really!
    Jimmy Nolen and Catfish Collins were with James Brown a good long time. Both heavyweights. Jimmy is associated with the term "chicken scratch" He did a lot of funky single-note lines that fit in with the rhythm parts. (His single note lines WERE rhythm parts...)

User Info Menu

Jimmy Nolen, armed with an ES-175 and wicked chops. Simultaneously minimalist and insidiously infectious.

ETA Replied before reading Mark's posts. Great minds....

User Info Menu

The problem with Prince as a guitarist is that he was so many other things. If he had ONLY played guitar, he likely would have developed his style more individually, and he was have gotten more recognition as a guitarist.

His guitar style is pretty recognizable, and he certainly can play in many different styles, but I have a hard time saying he has a more distinctive approach than say Eric Clapton with Cream or EVH. I don't think he revolutionized guitar playing in any way.

I think you could make a better argument for Prince as a singer--there aren't many who can match him in that category. Or for dance moves.

A similar situation is Todd Rundgren--GREAT guitarist, who can shred with the best of them, but he's more known as the guy who wrote Hello It's Me back 50 years ago.

Of course the price of being a guitar god and nothing more can be high--look at Danny Gatton among others.

User Info Menu

BTW speaking of Dhani I just saw a video ad featuring the Dhani Harrison signature uke by Fender. I gotta admit it looks pretty sweet. You could do a lot worse for a nice uke.

Fender Dhani Harrison Uke - Turquoise | Sweetwater

User Info Menu

In the 80s-90s I had a trio, guitar, piano, bass, that played often. The bassist's brother was Prince's sound man. He claimed that Prince was a badass bebop guitarist. You only heard this at sound checks and rehearsal when Prince would call Bird and Trane tunes. The band could handle it.