The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 100

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    The problem with Prince as a guitarist is that he was so many other things. If he had ONLY played guitar, he likely would have developed his style more individually, and he was have gotten more recognition as a guitarist.

His guitar style is pretty recognizable, and he certainly can play in many different styles, but I have a hard time saying he has a more distinctive approach than say Eric Clapton with Cream or EVH. I don't think he revolutionized guitar playing in any way.

I think you could make a better argument for Prince as a singer--there aren't many who can match him in that category. Or for dance moves.

A similar situation is Todd Rundgren--GREAT guitarist, who can shred with the best of them, but he's more known as the guy who wrote Hello It's Me back 50 years ago.

Of course the price of being a guitar god and nothing more can be high--look at Danny Gatton among others.
    Well said! I think he had the chops, but also so much talent as a singer, showman, personality. His guitar playing was never the center of his appeal, as far as I can tell.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    In the 80s-90s I had a trio, guitar, piano, bass, that played often. The bassist's brother was Prince's sound man. He claimed that Prince was a badass bebop guitarist. You only heard this at sound checks and rehearsal when Prince would call Bird and Trane tunes. The band could handle it.
    Holy shit.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

The problem with Prince as a guitarist is that he was so many other things. If he had ONLY played guitar, he likely would have developed his style more individually, and he was have gotten more recognition as a guitarist.
    Well, he got a lot of recognition as a guitar player.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/why-pri...t-of-all-time/

Five Examples Of Prince's Insane Guitar Skills

Prince as a guitarist '-' underrated but brilliant

Eric Clapton Never Called Prince the World’s Best Guitarist (Here Clapton talks about Prince's importance to him.)

Why Prince was the greatest guitarist since Jimi Hendrix.

https://level.medium.com/prince-was-...t-d5af8776f7e8

User Info Menu

Man I love that Tele. I can’t believe he could play guitar like that AND sing like that AND play keys like that AND play drums like that.

I might have said elsewhere that he is the singularly most talented person to ever play rock n roll. If I didn’t, I should.

My only point was that his versatility overshadowed at least in the public eye his guitar virtuosity. The link “underrated but brilliant” makes that argument as well.

One of his last tours he only played solo piano. No band, no guitar. Takes guts to do that, but as a guitarist I really miss the guitar.

I got to play with Prince in the early seventies at a audition at SIR studios on Sunset and Gower. What really surprised me was watching them dance into big 10 or 15 foot mirrors. We played Mixolydian funk for about 20 minutes. Bobby Z was on drums and Andre I think played bass.Prince had a Fender Rhodes and a mini-Moog.The drummer and bass player asked me if I would be willing to move to Minneapolis. I said yes but did not move to Los Angeles to leave really. It was near the time I just Wanna Be Your Lover came out on Warner Bros. I heard that in over a week Prince had tried out 200 guitar players. The one who got the gig was one of his friends from Minneapolis who sort of looked like Jimi Hendrix. Im pretty sure like Chuck Berry , Prince didnt want anyone who could out play him onstage. Its too bad he took counterfeit pain pills with Fentinal in them . I am an average looking senior now and except for online my past does not matter much to people but its fun to surprise them with the fact I once played with Prince somtimes. My career was nothing compared to his,but by being very careful what substances I put in my body I was able to live a somewhat longer life.

If any fans wonder what kind of musician was Prince to his fellow guitarists I suggest finding the story on YT about how it worked out for the guitarist of the Roots on the Jimmy Fallen show. Prince showed up without a guitar and borrowed a very rare and precious vintage Epiphone that the owner really loved and Prince knew that. Ill let you check it out for yourselves. But dont be too surprised if El Kabong is involved or Pete Townshed Jr.

its episode 10 Captain Kirk guitar stories on YT

I saw Morris Day and the Time live once in KC.MO and they were really good for a Funk Show Band. More enjoyable than Prince to me. But the band he had on the Live At The Aladdin DVD was really good for funk. At least he was smart enough to hire better players than himself. Just like Carlos Santana , hes the weakest one in his band. I would do that too if I was ever in that spot. Thats what makes you play and sound your best!!! Of course a band where everyone is about equal may be the Best!!!

User Info Menu

Man I love that Tele. I can’t believe he could play guitar like that AND sing like that AND play keys like that AND play drums like that.

I might have said elsewhere that he is the singularly most talented person to ever play rock n roll. If I didn’t, I should.

My only point was that his versatility overshadowed at least in the public eye his guitar virtuosity. The link “underrated but brilliant” makes that argument as well.
    He made the cover of Guitar Player twice. (Those interviews are good, too.) Guitar World ranked him among the 100 greatest guitarists of all time. He WAS versatile, a phenomenal showman, singer, songwriter, but a lot of people recognized him as a sensational guitarist. Here's a neat story about Billy Gibbons reminiscing about a two-hour conversation with Prince about guitar.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...nal-guitarist/

The public thinks Keith Richards is a great guitarist. I rest my case.

I wonder how many rock star guitarists could also be on the cover of Downbeat as Musician of the Year?

User Info Menu

Keith Richards IS a great guitarist, Steve. There are thousands upon thousands of players who can play more chords and scales who are most decidedly NOT great guitarists. There are other criteria. There are few players with such an iconic sound in any genre.

Yes its subjective. Keith is great playing for the Rolling Stones. Sitting in with Coltrane or Miles would not be his normal vocabulary. I didnt say one way or another. Because its subjective. And a lot of rocks best players are also very strong songwriters while session men and instrumentalists are often not.

Advanced music theory knowledge and technical mastery are not found in some of rocks greatest, but the ability to write great songs and come up with singable , likeable guitar parts that we remember all our lives are some of the fruits they share with their talents I think. There is more than one way to be great at music.

User Info Menu

So most of those Top 10 lists are simply Popularity Polls for non musicians anyway.
    If we were talking simply the best at Pop Rock than I understand why his fans might be upset. But Prince was way more than guitarist playing in the band.

Having said that I think John Mc Glaughlin andJeff Beck might be the best at multiple styles of music in not only Rock,Soul, Pop, Fusion, etc. They truly are able to play in almost any genre and remain true to their original voice.

Some others who definitely fit the same bill are Danny Gatton, Glenn Campbell, Neil Levang, Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, etc.

The old black bluesmen were a long way from being highly polished but jazz or pop music would not have been the same without them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steve burchfield
    I saw Morris Day and the Time live once in KC.MO and they were really good for a Funk Show Band. More enjoyable than Prince to me. But the band he had on the Live At The Aladdin DVD was really good for funk. At least he was smart enough to hire better players than himself. Just like Carlos Santana , hes the weakest one in his band. I would do that too if I was ever in that spot. Thats what makes you play and sound your best!!! Of course a band where everyone is about equal may be the Best!!!
    Prince was on my avoid list in the 80's along with Rick James and Los Angeles.
    I wanted to make money.

You got schooled and did internships. When it was time to make money I got flim-flammed out of Japan and California.
    I was warned. I should have paid closer attention.

User Info Menu

Advanced music theory knowledge and technical mastery are not found in some of rocks greatest, but the ability to write great songs and come up with singable , likeable guitar parts that we remember all our lives are some of the fruits they share with their talents I think. There is more than one way to be great at music.
    Van Halen. How could anyone not love Van Halen?

User Info Menu

its episode 10 Captain Kirk guitar stories on YT
    I knew Prince was an asshole. Wendy broke up the Revolution at a gig in Yokohama. She got sick of him being carried around by his bodyguard.

User Info Menu

To be fair almost anyone at that level of the entertainment business is usually not the nicest or most sane individual to deal with.
    Prince was quite insecure and needed a lot of attention to make up for his small stature, and being teased as a kid.

But probably the same with any number of music stars from James Brown, Ray Charles, etc And I'm sure Frank Sinatra was hard to deal with as well.

" To Miles Davis, who collaborated with the Purple One toward the end of his life, Prince was a combination of "James Brown, Jimi Hendrix, Marvin Gaye… and Charlie Chaplin. LOL

User Info Menu

Charlie Chaplin. haha

He chose illegal ways to feed his love of opiates and murdered himself ... thats not a role model I will praise. RIP.

User Info Menu

Back to Matts comment about Rock guitar influence over the masses.As opposed to Guitar skills.My Younger brother could play circles around Eric Clapton by the time he was 16.He influenced me and my younger sister.Oh and could do funk.Drummers loved playing with him.