The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 100

User Info Menu

As much as I admire Miles Davis legacy, he was quite into promoting his own stock through others. At least he he chose mostly wisely.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Keith Richards IS a great guitarist, Steve.
    Damn right !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steve burchfield
    He chose illegal ways to feed his love of opiates and murdered himself ... thats not a role model I will praise. RIP.
    Prince was a lover not a fighter. Rick James was both and he felt terrible about getting violent with Prince one time. He got violent with a woman one time and paid his debt to society.
    Rick thought the Exorcist was a good movie. He loved Linda Blair.
    When the cops showed up after a party one time blood was everywhere.

The news said, the Manson family is back...

No, a party got out of control.

It must have crossed Prince's mind, I'm a junkie now and I was so judgemental of others. Rick was pretty normal until he got into crack. He stole Prince's keyboards on tour. Those are Prince's synth patches on Street Songs.
    Then Sly Stone got Rick into crack when they got together in the studio.
    People overlook Prince as a synth programmer and lyricist.

Prince was an asshole. He treated Jesse Johnson like shit. Rick could be an asshole. He was from Buffalo and we were notorious for drugs.
    My first gig was a Juneteeth Festival right where Rick was from.
    I didn't want to meet either one. I had something going that might have been far more lucrative than anything they could offer.

Like Morris Day said, Prince took ALL the money. Then he said OK here's a little for you.

User Info Menu

Who was removed from the Rolling Stone list when Prince was added?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Who was removed from the Rolling Stone list when Prince was added?
    Me. And, boy, does it hurt!

User Info Menu

There's probably no guitarist that's done more performing and studio work in R@B, Soul, Funk, Blues that Cornell Dupree. He was one of my first guitar idols and his tasty, musical licks are second to none. Here's Cornell getting his Funk on . . . . RIP, Cornell. Top 100?? God, that's a funny list.
    Play live . . . Marinero

My roomate in Woodstock,NY brother Chris Parker played drums for Stuff along with Steve Gadd so I well know and like Cornell D.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Me. And, boy, does it hurt!
    MacKillop removal is especially painful without anesthesia.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Greentone;1126174]In the 80s-90s I had a trio, guitar, piano, bass, that played often. The bassist's brother was Prince's sound man. He claimed that Prince was a badass bebop guitarist. You only heard this at sound checks and rehearsal when Prince would call Bird and Trane tunes. The band could handle it.[/QUOTEhttps:

Playing piano at sound check:

User Info Menu

Sorry but Prince couldn't play Jazz in any traditional sense. He was strictly a Pentatonic Blues type of soloist. And his u derstanding of more complex harmony was usually left to others he hired to arrange for his projects.

I will say he was a genius at marketing himself to the masses and not including the record execs. But he also was quite narscistic and it was all about him first and foremost.
    I'd heard he did do some good things for others such as take care of Clyde Stubblefields medical expenses. And some other good deeds as well. But most everyone who worked for him were basically treated as rented furniture.

User Info Menu

Never understood the appeal. I was around 18 when he came out, so was probably too old and too straight. His little whimpering, androgenous persona notwithstanding, I just lumped him in with the likes of Michael Jackson, The Commodores, Donna Summer, etc., etc.

Little Red Corvette. Genius!!! Well no actually, more like - whateeeever.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    Never understood the appeal. I was around 18 when he came out, so was probably too old and too straight. His little whimpering, androgenous persona notwithstanding, I just lumped him in with the likes of Michael Jackson, The Commodores, Donna Summer, etc., etc.

Little Red Corvette. Genius!!! Well no actually, more like - whateeeever.
    Well, you missed out a lot. I was the same but then I listened. Mind you, I don't blame you if you decided to listen to someone else; I eventually got hooked on jazz and that diverted me away from other artists.

Anyway, Prince was Pop. Pop is not about musical skills. As a pop artist, he is second to none. As a musician/player, he is more versatile than most, which is a feat in itself, and elevates him over most other pop artists.

User Info Menu

@jad
    Come on. I don’t care if he was asshole. He was a great musician. Not a jazz musician. Funk, rock, soul and r&b was his thing. And he was good at it.
    it only takes a listen to sign o the times and you agree with me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    Well, you missed out a lot. I was the same but then I listened. Mind you, I don't blame you if you decided to listen to someone else; I eventually got hooked on jazz and that diverted me away from other artists.

Anyway, Prince was Pop. Pop is not about musical skills. As a pop artist, he is second to none. As a musician/player, he is more versatile than most, which is a feat in itself, and elevates him over most other pop artists.
    I see it differently. I heard his most famous works and thought absolutely nothing of them. I found them to be mediocre. Little Red Corvette, Purple Rain, 1999, When Doves Cry. Really? OK, whatever. But BFD.

I grew up listening to classical music. My tastes moved from pop/rock to jazz when I was 16/17. It is people who are only familiar with popular styles who are musically impoverished as far as I'm concerned. Pop is pap.

At the age of 5 I brought the Beatles etc., into the home. Then jazz. But my parents kept the classical going - it was their house after all. I became a classical music major even though I really wanted to major in jazz, but that's another story. The point is that I'm not overly impressed with pop, or at least 95% of it. But I will say that at least some of it is terrific.

In terms of pop players being competent, versatile musicians, there are/have been more than a few. Paul McCartney, Elton John, Billy Joel, Stephen Stills, Leon Russell, even David Grohl., etc.

Somehow they all became successful and popular, and they didn't even need to wear a thong on their album covers.
    Last edited by Donplaysguitar; 06-08-2021 at 04:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Sorry but Prince couldn't play Jazz in any traditional sense. He was strictly a Pentatonic Blues type of soloist. And his u derstanding of more complex harmony was usually left to others he hired to arrange for his projects.

I will say he was a genius at marketing himself to the masses and not including the record execs. But he also was quite narscistic and it was all about him first and foremost.

I'd heard he did do some good things for others such as take care of Clyde Stubblefields medical expenses. And some other good deeds as well. But most everyone who worked for him were basically treated as rented furniture.
    He did some good things, and could he have done more? Maybe. Apparently he was quite a philanthropist, but not so public about it.

Prince, the Secret Philanthropist: 'His Cause Was Humanity' - Rolling Stone

As far as other musicians who worked with him, did he enslave them? No. Did he hire them to play for him for an agreed wage? As far as I know.

Hired guns are hired guns. They're not the artist. If they don't like the terms of the deal, they should quit and find someone else to work for. Or...start their own band, write their own music, plan their own tours...then they can be jerks to their own hired people.

Not defending anyone being a jerk, but it's a business not a family. Everybody wants a piece of the artist. That's why sometimes they have to distance themselves from even their closest bandmates. Cf Frank Zappa, Bruce Springsteen, and anyone else who's been really successful. Heck George Harrison got swindled by the Beatles' manager, sued by his bandmate and almost killed by a deranged fan. Cut Prince some slack.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    In terms of pop players being competent, versatile musicians, there are/have been more than a few. Paul McCartney, Elton John, Billy Joel, Stepehen Stills, Leon Russell, even David Grohl., etc.
    Somehow they all became successful and popular, and they didn't even need to wear a thong on their album covers.
    Prince has more good songs to offer than most on your list. I am in doubt about Paul M. Why aren't M. Gaye and S. Wonder not on your list?
    Prince didn't need a thong either. Even without those weird covers his music is brilliant. A few titels you perhaps should give a chance:

- Joy in repetition
    - Question of u
    - Days of wild
    - The ballad of Dorothy Parker
    - Sign o the times
    - Housequake
    - When 2 r in love
    - America
    - if i was your girlfriend
    - Muse 2 the Pharaoh
    - Gett off
    - Superfunkycalifragisexy
    - Strange relationship
    - Money don't matter tonight

i could go on for a while.

Let's start with the first.

User Info Menu

The Jazz comment was in response to a previous post about his prowess as a musician.

I saw him as talented but that his insecurities as well as his constant screaming both vocally and guitar wise really turned me off.
    I think his true talent was putting out massive product and marketing it. That's really hard to do for sure.

Just not my cup of tea, and neither was Michael Jackson.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    There's probably no guitarist that's done more performing and studio work in R@B, Soul, Funk, Blues that Cornell Dupree. He was one of my first guitar idols and his tasty, musical licks are second to none. Here's Cornell getting his Funk on . . . . RIP, Cornell. Top 100?? God, that's a funny list.
    Love Cornell Dupree. I think I've posted the Stuff set from Montreux 5-6 times over the years (in "What Are You Listening To Now?").
    Cornell, like most of my favorite guitarists had great feel and solid fundamentals.
    Curiously---for a guitar player who did tons of studio work----he didn't use effects unless asked. He wasn't shy about changing pickups though...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steve burchfield
    The public thinks Keith Richards is a great guitarist. I rest my case.
    I'm skeptical of this.
    Mind you, I'm a Stones fan. And also a songwriter. I think much more highly of Keith (as a guitar player and songwriter) than I do a lot of guitar players who could play circles around him, but I don't think "the public" thinks of Keith Richards as a great guitarist. Rather, they think of him as the guitarist for the Rolling Stones. He has a distinctive sound and feel, but he's not usually spoken of as a 'great guitarist' in the way Clapton is and Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen were.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I'm skeptical of this.
    Mind you, I'm a Stones fan. And also a songwriter. I think much more highly of Keith (as a guitar player and songwriter) than I do a lot of guitar players who could play circles around him, but I don't think "the public" thinks of Keith Richards as a great guitarist. Rather, they think of him as the guitarist for the Rolling Stones. He has a distinctive sound and feel, but he's not usually spoken of as a 'great guitarist' in the way Clapton is and Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen were.
    Maybe he'd have been better if he kept all six strings on his guitars. <g>

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Play live . . . Marinero

She turned my life into a living hell
    In those little tops and tight capris.
    I pretended to be readin' the National Probe,
    As I was watchin' her wax her skis.
    On Saturday night she walked in with her date
    And backs him up against the wall.
    I tumbled off the couch and heard myself sing
    In a voice I never knew I had before...

Honey how you've grown
    Like a rose.
    Well we used to play
    When we were three--
    How about a kiss for your cousin Dupree?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zdub
    Maybe he'd have been better if he kept all six strings on his guitars. <g>
    Sometimes you hit a goon coming at you on the stage and a string pops...he ain't no SRV, can’t restring on the fly.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 06-08-2021 at 08:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve

THIS. George Michael could give him a run for his money in pop. Few people could.

He wrote, sang, produced. His band is having a blast. If Prince and George Michael offered you a gig which would you take? It's a no-brainer. George Michael.
    Prince was America's pop at the time.

I had a narrow skill set back then. I didn't think I would be of much value for much longer. I figured lets see what this new school is going to be.
    A guy and a drum machine talking about police and putting on a front.

Pop is about the skill set. Prince was an ass but his was formidable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    Prince has more good songs to offer than most on your list. I am in doubt about Paul M. Why aren't M. Gaye and S. Wonder not on your list?
    Prince didn't need a thong either. Even without those weird covers his music is brilliant. A few titels you perhaps should give a chance:

- Joy in repetition
    - Question of u
    - Days of wild
    - The ballad of Dorothy Parker
    - Sign o the times
    - Housequake
    - When 2 r in love
    - America
    - if i was your girlfriend
    - Muse 2 the Pharaoh
    - Gett off
    - Superfunkycalifragisexy
    - Strange relationship
    - Money don't matter tonight

i could go on for a while.

Let's start with the first.

Well I was was young and in better shape than he, but didn't wear a thong to work, or pose nude for work. So I would tend to agree that he didn't need it, but then would pause and ask - "Wait, not so fast - what's he selling?".

"If I was your girlfriend" eh? I hesitate to read the lyrics and really hesitate to listen. That reminds me of Mr. Chow in Hangover 3. "I could be your wife, Stu!", lol.

Regarding McCartney. Prolific songwriter, can sing better than Stevie or Marvin, plays bass (obviously) plays pretty good piano. Plays hot guitar. Check out the album "McCartney". Played most of the instruments on the album. The songs are mostly silly Paul songs, he was much better with Lennon, but whatever.

I appreciate your effort, I really do, but it's lost on me brother. Sorry.
    Last edited by Donplaysguitar; 06-08-2021 at 07:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Now Cornell Dupree especially the Teasin Album I could listen to all day and night!
    To me that's Soul Music at its BEST!

Prince lacked humility as well ability to work with others on an equal level.
    And this narcissism along with insecurity always comes through in all of his music to my ears.
    He wasn't actually great at anything other than be a marketing machine to the masses.
    He recycled James Brown or Sly Stone grooves mostly. Again he was able to constantly feed the masses his product, and use whatever was in style as well at the time.

Bottom line is he was no Jimi Hendrix or Bob Dylan nor Stevie Wonder or even Paul McCartney in my world. But for younger people who never experienced those people in their time, I get how they saw him as talented.