User Info Menu

... - -with thanks to Jonathan Stout for the AR heads up....I know I'd heard of a lot of players from that era but I'd never heard of him........I've been curious since day one about HR's version of that song and how it came to be....I'd heard or read somewhere ( maybe here ? ) that when the tune was suggested to HR, he made a face and said: " What am I supposed to do with that ? " ..and then tore into that version.....

......Just curious - -has anyone ever done any kind of tutorial / lesson or ? on that song ?.....I remember giving that album to my teacher back then who thankfully could and did transcribe a lot of classics for me and his other students, but he just said 'never mind' on that one.....

As always thanks Jonathan and thx for any info...........

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I remember his talking about it as a Van Eps type of thing, but Reuss played in that style as well. And I think there is a transcription around somewhere, I thought I had run across it, but maybe not. I'll look around, just in case.

User Info Menu

In the late-60s, the first-call recording jazz guitarists, e.g., HR, or Barney Kessel, were suggested all kinds of popular tunes of the day to deal with on their recordings.

Consider Barney Kessel, "Hair is Beautiful," on which Kessel utilized an electric 12-string. (I still have the commercially recorded reel-to-reel tape of this.)
    Is Howard Roberts ' Winchester Cathedral '  -an  Alan Ruess Tribute ?-hair-beautiful-jpg

User Info Menu

I assume the producer asked him to play the song because the song was a hit pop tune.

Note that on all of Howard Roberts jazz pop albums at least a quarter of the tunes were pop tunes.

While the songs were often corny Roberts's solo was typically in-the-pocket and interesting.

I used to listen to these albums a lot 30 years ago, but now I'm too inpatient, waiting to hear that 10 seconds or so of Roberts (and that organ sound,,,,, oh, my,,, it just grates on my nerves). I.e. why listen to this stuff when there is straight ahead stuff (but sadly not much recorded by Roberts, but I saw him live at Donte's many times and that was something else).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    I assume the producer asked him to play the song because the song was a hit pop tune.

Note that on all of Howard Roberts jazz pop albums at least a quarter of the tunes were pop tunes.

While the songs were often corny Roberts's solo was typically in-the-pocket and interesting.

I used to listen to these albums a lot 30 years ago, but now I'm too inpatient, waiting to hear that 10 seconds or so of Roberts (and that organ sound,,,,, oh, my,,, it just grates on my nerves). I.e. why listen to this stuff when there is straight ahead stuff (but sadly not much recorded by Roberts, but I saw him live at Donte's many times and that was something else).

I just liked the arrangement. I had gotten a little tired of those ' every-note-is-a-new-chord ' arrangements......It reminded me a little of Jerry Reed's ' The Claw'....sorta.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    In the late-60s, the first-call recording jazz guitarists, e.g., HR, or Barney Kessel, were suggested all kinds of popular tunes of the day to deal with on their recordings.

Consider Barney Kessel, "Hair is Beautiful," on which Kessel utilized an electric 12-string. (I still have the commercially recorded reel-to-reel tape of this.)
    Is Howard Roberts ' Winchester Cathedral '  -an  Alan Ruess Tribute ?-hair-beautiful-jpg
    OMG - very Oklahoman! Missed that one somehow.

User Info Menu

.........That may be BK's only session on Atlantic........I remember doing a double-triple take the first time I saw that album in a store - - Asking myself " is that 'Barney Kessel' Barney Kessel' , and playing a 12 string with the music from Hair ?? "

User Info Menu

My mid-60's jazz group used this as our break song:

Danny W.

User Info Menu

...just found this - it could be enough to mess around with.....

........-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1SgBTgDOI4.....