The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 35

User Info Menu

You've been warned. From the archives: July 4, 2004 - pool party; Beer, Bar-BQ, & Babies every where. Also, my blues trio. Outside, on the porch. A good time was had by most. This is the penultimate performance of the evening for a crowd of solid citizens and regular folks, families and friends. We had fun.
    This song has always been part of my whole deal; in this band one of a handful of songs played with this much gain (the bass player prefers clean. I like to keep things mutually respectful).

Critiques welcome!

Upload image

Big Tone (Guitar Player)
    14 ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER

Last edited by citizenk74; 05-06-2021 at 10:52 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Rockin', man!
    I like the way you created tension rhythmically with the repeated licks of quintuplets, sextuplets or whatever. Was that you on vocals?
    You didn't play much of Jimi's licks. What guitar, amp and distortion pedal did you use? Nice, smooth sound.

User Info Menu

Nice vocals.

User Info Menu

that was awesome. we demand more.

User Info Menu

Tremendous. Photos, please.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Rockin', man!
    I like the way you created tension rhythmically with the repeated licks of quintuplets, sextuplets or whatever. Was that you on vocals?
    You didn't play much of Jimi's licks. What guitar, amp and distortion pedal did you use? Nice, smooth sound.
    Thank you for the kind words! Quintuplets just seem natural for me. That is indeed me, "singing". Our bass player has a superb voice, but graciously allowed me to croak my way through a few blues tunes.

Also he is wicked good with his Music Man 5-string bass, on this day powered by his brand new 600watt ("for clarity") SS amp.

Not playing Jimi's licks is half the point (not that I wouldn't love to, I just can't. I just try to interpret the song in my own way. There is some overlap, but it is usually more or less coincidental. I treat the songs as a vehicle for improvisation.

The amp was my faithful Peavy Classic 50, an early model with the leather handle, with the stock speakers - 4-10" in an open back enclosure, played just loud enough for a stage monitor. An SM-57 on one speaker. Distortion (I prefer the term "Harmonic Enrichment") courtesy the C50s gain boost, with liberal use of the native spring reverb.

The guitar was my #1, Little Egypt, a 1986 PRS Custom 24 in Vintage Yellow; built for me by the good folks in Annapolis using a batch of Red Maple from my private stock. I sent the boards after Paul called me a couple times to let me know he hadn't found any wood that would be "good enough" for my guitar. I said, "I'll send you some that is" and promptly selected enough wood to build three or four guitars and dispatched them forthwith. The guitar left the factory on July 11, and UPS left it on my doorstep a few days later, without so much as ringing the door bell. Fortunately in one piece. It's still at my side.
    Last edited by citizenk74; 05-14-2021 at 03:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Nice vocals.
    Thanks, Stevebol! I do what I can.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    that was awesome. we demand more.
    Thanks, djg! Ask, and it will be given. I'll try to get more posted. We recorded the entire gig, and there are one or two more gems. Probably "Red House". We always closed our show with those two.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Tremendous. Photos, please.
    Thank you, Litterick. Unfortunately, I have been blessed with a face for radio. I'll see what I can dig up that is sufficiently out-of-focus.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Thank you for the kind words! Quintuplets just seem natural for me. That is indeed me, "singing". Our bass player has a superb voice, but graciously allowed me to croak my way through a few blues tunes.

Also he is wicked good with his Music Man 5-string bass, on this day powered by hi brand new 600watt ("for clarity") SS amp.

Not playing Jimi's licks is half the point (not that I wouldn't love to, I just can't. I just try to interpret the song in my own way. There is some overlap, but it is usually more or less coincidental. I treat the songs as a vehicle for improvisation.

The amp was my faithful Peavy Classic 50, an early model with the leather handle, with the stock speakers - 4 10" in an open back enclosure, played just loud enough for a stage monitor. An SM-57 on one speaker. Distortion (I prefer the term "Harmonic Enrichment") courtesy the C50s gain boost, with liberal use of the native spring reverb.

The guitar was my #1, Little Egypt, a 1986 PRS Custom 24 in Vintage Yellow; built for me by the good folks in Annapolis using a batch of Red Maple from my private stock. I sent the boards after Paul called me a couple times to let me know he hadn't found any wood that would be "good enough" for my guitar. I said, "I'll send you some that is" and promptly selected enough wood to build three or four guitars and dispatched them forthwith. The guitar left the factory on July 11, and UPS left it on my doorstep a few days later, without so much as ringing the door bell. Fortunately in one piece. It's still at my side.
    Actually that comment about not using Jimi's licks was meant as a compliment. If I were playing AATW, I'd fall back on JH's licks as a device to make me sound better than I am. You kept a creative flow going through your solo by not forcing in JH's licks where they didn't fit in.
    You didn't even rip off JH or BD in your excellent vocals.
    Did you guys tour or make any records? There were some guys in bands from the 60s like Ultimate Spinach, Circus Maximus, Elephant's Memory, Ten Wheel Drive, who were also jazz musicians; did you run into any guys like that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Actually that comment about not using Jimi's licks was meant as a compliment. If I were playing AATW, I'd fall back on JH's licks as a device to make me sound better than I am. You kept a creative flow going through your solo by not forcing in JH's licks where they didn't fit in.
    You didn't even rip off JH or BD in your excellent vocals.
    Did you guys tour or make any records? There were some guys in bands from the 60s like Ultimate Spinach, Circus Maximus, Elephant's Memory, Ten Wheel Drive, who were also jazz musicians; did you run into any guys like that?
    I took it as a complement, and I greatly appreciate it.

Nope.* Our circuit was the usual - bars, clubs, and private parties. A certain number of dives and dens of iniquity were of necessity a part of the game. Gigs like this one were gravy. Friends playing for friends and their families. With food. That's as good as it gets.

* I did play a couple of festivals, and got some nice feed back from the other acts, but that was with another outfit, where I was by that time a hired hand, and in any case it was about to come apart at the seams due to the usual band stuff. Groups are hard.
    Last edited by citizenk74; 05-14-2021 at 03:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Digging it, thanks for sharing. I love that rock thing. Awesome crowd response.

User Info Menu

Oh, man! You sang that with authority and some power.

Love that saturated guitar tone and the rockin' rhythm section. Boy, I bet you have some great memories...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Thanks, djg! Ask, and it will be given. I'll try to get more posted. We recorded the entire gig, and there are one or two more gems. Probably "Red House". We always closed our show with those two.
    Here it is, I hope. OOPS! Red House is now second on the list. Newbie mistake. I might figure this out eventually. Note: "Born to Sing the Blues" is from my 2003 solo album UTONIA.

Last edited by citizenk74; 05-08-2021 at 03:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Oh, man! You sang that with authority and some power.

Love that saturated guitar tone and the rockin' rhythm section. Boy, I bet you have some great memories...
    Yes, I do. Working with Bassman Bruce and Joltin' Jimmy was the apex of my Blues career. I miss those guys! Soulful, funky, rock steady, and great ears -who could ask for more? Not I.

User Info Menu

Your Soundcloud is my Sunday evening listening. Thank you.

User Info Menu

Your Soundcloud is my Sunday evening listening. Thank you.
    You are very welcome! I hope you enjoy it.And thank you!*

* I should point out that IRL, Red House follows Watchtower, and Born to Sing the Blues is a cut from my 2003 solo album. UTONIA. I had no idea SoundCloud was going to put everything into a loop. I'm feverishly looking for some way to correct this.

User Info Menu

OK, Litterick, here it is. BassMeister Bruce and I doing a thing for coffee.
    Playing a little jazz for the people.First Foray on Soundcloud Non- Jazz Content-pa100376-jpg

User Info Menu

I just caught this. Great fun. Tight band. Good playing all round.

User Info Menu

Citizenk, love your version of Red House and I think people should hear it! so I’ve put the link for that track here, if that’s ok.

User Info Menu

Nice hat.

User Info Menu

Nice hat.
    Thank you. It's a Stetson. I'll be wearing it today in fact. I just ordered a new Panama yesterday. I can't wait for Straw Hat and Garish Tropical Shirt weather! *

* I have quite a collection of vintage hats & berets and GTSs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Citizenk, love your version of Red House and I think people should hear it! so I’ve put the link for that track here, if that’s ok.

Yes! Thank you very much, Kind Sir! I appreciate the kind words, and you gracious act. I'm rather inept with all this technology. In attempting to post the ancient pic above, I somehow managed to make it my screensaver. I haven't the slightest idea how. I suppose these things are sent to try us.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I just caught this. Great fun. Tight band. Good playing all round.
    Thank you for the kind words, Rob! I appreciate it!

User Info Menu

I would call that hat a fedora.