The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

On my Youtube channel i mostly (only?) post my playing, and most of the time i don't have any copyright problems. Sometimes i have posted published sessions that i have played on, and the record companies file a copyright claim (for possible monetization), no problem.

I thought about creating a transcriptions playlist where i will transcribe some solos, but i instantly got a copyright claim on the first one (Grant Green's Miss Ann's Tempo). Facebook muted the video so i couldn't even share it there.

So anyone familiar with what stands when playing transcribed solos? Is the problem that i included the head? Or should i almost completely fade out the original music? I wouldn't want any copyright trouble on my youtube, facebook and instagram, as i use them for lessons, etc, and especially my youtube (a very small channel) is like memory lane for me, i have lots of older live gigs etc, would hate to lose it..

The video in question

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think it’s probably because you included the original recording behind your solo. That’s what their algorithms look for. Even leaving off the head might not work, I suspect they may still be able to pattern-match the part of the recording which remains.

I bet if you found some way to post it without the original recording, they would not take any notice at all.

So maybe record your own comping as a backing, for example.

User Info Menu

There's a great difference between Facebook and You Tube. Many people post their transcriptions on You Tube. In fact, they have a channel dedicated to it. I would have thought it would be covered by the You Tube licence.

Jazz Transcriptions - YouTube

Facebook, however, is probably like Soundcloud which can spot a pro recording a mile off and reject it. You only say it was Facebook that refused you, not You Tube which is in your thread title.

Which did you mean? You Tube usually write something about copyright on your channel site but there's no action other than that.

On YouTube I just got a copyright claim, which generally is ok. I just want to be sure it won't escalate into a copyright strike, which can get you banned (if you get three).

I'll probably use a backing track for the next ones,.. alas it doesn't sound that good...

User Info Menu

Alter, I don't get it. People are posting their transcriptions and some are asking money for them. Did they have to get permission up front from someone? What's the procedure?

How come that vid in your first post was passed? Isn't that the Grant Green original in the background? There's something missing in all this!

Better luck with the backing track anyhow.

User Info Menu

I had an idea about doin something similar in YT but never got to it.
    I was worried about copyrights of course, searched around a bit aaand.. there is some... Harry Fox Agency.
    If you have any better luck and get the whole thing working (whatever way you'll find), pls let us know how you managed to do it.

Barry Greene received a copyright claim because he used one of his own published recordings on his channel.

User Info Menu

Hello fellow players,
    I often scour You tube seeking transcriptions and recently I discovered a
    wonderful site called, "Jazz Vocabulary." They appear to be new additions to YT and feature
    some rare and incredible items from Wes, Barney, Billy Bauer, Johnny Smith, Tal , Joe Pass ,
    Jim Hall, Attila Zola , George Benson and other luminaries. It's an amazing source , especially
    for we aspirants and in standard notation and tab.
    Consider this information my gift to everyone !

Most of the copyright claims tagging seems to be automated. On further experiments, i uploaded the following video two times (actually cause of mixing it again). First time i included the composer's name on the title, instant copyright claim. Second time nothing. Haven't seen a violin guitar recorded version of Alfie..

What i dislike about claimed videos is that they can have advertisements over them, and i wouldn't like that over my channels videos.. Not that many will suffer through them though, i would imagine most of us have some kind of adblocking software, i haven't seen an ad in youtube in ages..

Anyway after reading and watching many videos, it seems no problems will arise on a channel if you post transcriptions, use backing tracks that don't prohibit that use, or play songs recorded by other people..

User Info Menu

I think you can contest under ‘fair use’

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Most of the copyright claims tagging seems to be automated. On further experiments, i uploaded the following video two times (actually cause of mixing it again). First time i included the composer's name on the title, instant copyright claim. Second time nothing. Haven't seen a violin guitar recorded version of Alfie..

What i dislike about claimed videos is that they can have advertisements over them, and i wouldn't like that over my channels videos.. Not that many will suffer through them though, i would imagine most of us have some kind of adblocking software, i haven't seen an ad in youtube in ages..

Anyway after reading and watching many videos, it seems no problems will arise on a channel if you post transcriptions, use backing tracks that don't prohibit that use, or play songs recorded by other people..

A beautiful woman who can play violin! What a treasure!

User Info Menu

I used to post my transcriptions on Youtube with my 'Play-By-Ear Series' videos found on this forum. I stopped posting my transcriptions because I am in danger of getting a potential copyright strike. But I will re-emerge again in the future posting my transcriptions, but this time with original arrangements.