User Info Menu

For no identifiable reason I've been playing a lot of diatonic, romantic era music on classical guitar the past couple of months. I had a few semesters of formal training on the instrument in my youth and I am enjoying rebuilding some skill. I have to say, however, that the diatonic nature of the repertoire makes me feel like something is missing! One can put a great deal of expression into a simple melody and harmony on a classical guitar and when I mentioned this to my wife she said "what you are playing sounds like normal music to me".

It's hard to go back once you've heard Bill Evans.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The repertoire is wider. Here's a very romantic track, in my estimation. Bill would be interested, I'm sure.

User Info Menu

That is nice Rob... and your tone is wonderful!

User Info Menu

It’s also great for cafe gigs, especially when they want the room cleared at the end of the night

User Info Menu

I think I heard a wrong note. But who knows?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop View Post
    It’s also great for cafe gigs, especially when they want the room cleared at the end of the night
    You should work on some Lydia Lunch songs for that.

User Info Menu

But seriously, Michael, you should investigate the guitar works of Gilbert Isbin, who has definitely been influenced by Bill Evans. He writes for both classical guitar and plectrum guitar:

(forgot to use my microphone for this one, so it's just the camera's mic)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop View Post
    I've found a burner from Wolf or Muddy or John Lee will do that as well.* No need to call in the bouncers; half the place will be off to "get a room."

* Use these sparingly.With great power comes great responsibility.