The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 54
    It was a jam in "E." I'll scan and post the write-up.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Agreed. But people do what they know. Not just in music, in everything. I remember I was having neck problems once, and went to an orthopedic for x-rays etc. Long story short, he told me he could operate. I asked him if he could tell me if the operation would fix my pain. He said "no." But he was eager to cut. When I expressed my desire to NOT undergo surgery but would like to discuss other options, he suddenly had no time for me. I was wasting his time if I wouldn't let him operate. When I told this story to a friend of mine, he said "(the doc was a jerk but) he's a surgeon. Surgeons CUT. It's what they DO."

Narrow outlooks - with anything in life- are always a bad idea, close-minded, and non-growth oriented.
    Yep, "Knife Happy" is what they call that. Ka-ching $$$$$. Those guys don't go through extra school for nothing - and we need them.

My family doc referred me to two ortho clinics - one that is for surgery and one that is for management. Guess which one I went to?

It's good to know the other one though, should the need ever arise.

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Well said above statement! I didn't realize it was originally an improv. Wnen I saw him live played mjost of his solos exactly lime the recorded versions.
    Again not a knock on SRV's musical abilities, just his lack of Harmonic knowledge. I am a huge fan of his playing!
    Jimi Hendrix was much the same as are most famous Rock Guitarists.

Jeff Beck may be the lone ranger out there with good enough ears and instincts to be the exception.
    Not counting guys like Glenn Campbell, and some other Pop guitarists
    I bought a cassette of Texas Flood when it came out in ’83. I played it so much that I memorized the solos – not that I could play them – I just knew them from repetition.

I was back in NYC from the navy for Christmas that year, and a friend suggested that we go see SRV & DT at the Beacon. I went to the Beacon to get tickets a few hours before the show. The gal at the box office said that there were a few scattered seats in the back, then looked up on a shelf and took two tickets from it - tickets wrapped in a rubber band - 2nd row, just left of center.

I‘ve always wondered if she was fired for selling them to me.

Anyway, he opened with Testify, and played pretty much the entire TF album and two Hendrix tunes. He played all of his TF tunes note-for-note, zero improvisation.

Years later it occurred to me that, if you could play SRV tunes note-for-note, you’re an awesome blues player, even if your name was Stevie Ray Vaughan.

User Info Menu

Hehe, he even made me buy a Jennifer Warnes album!

Cold shot must be my favorite all time music video. I laugh cause it's like my twenties right there

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I loved Stevie's playing.
    He went all in. Great rhythm player. (Trio guitarists pretty much have to be, eh?) Relentless drive.
    And quite a few songs that still sound strong: Pride & Joy, Cold Shot (-heard Dr. John cover that in New Orleans), Wall of Denial, Tightrope, Crossfire, Scuttle Buttin', Stang's Swang....
    RIP, SRV.
    All in is an understatement.

I recall reading that, after separating his finger nails from the nail beds, or tearing off fingertip calluses, he used superglue to reattach them. I was incredulous until I saw this video (go to 7:58).

User Info Menu

From the discussion here, maybe I don't even like jazz. I thought Rivera Paradise was perfectly fine.

Ignorance is bliss I guess.

User Info Menu

I should just stay out of this ha...I've always loved The Blues but 5 seconds of SRV is 6 seconds too much for my likes... slow down, turn down and take a breath ...

Scott Henderson said I would rather hear Albert King drop his guitar in the dirt than most white guys play the blues!!!

User Info Menu

Agreed. But people do what they know. Not just in music, in everything. I remember I was having neck problems once, and went to an orthopedic for x-rays etc. Long story short, he told me he could operate. I asked him if he could tell me if the operation would fix my pain. He said "no." But he was eager to cut. When I expressed my desire to NOT undergo surgery but would like to discuss other options, he suddenly had no time for me. I was wasting his time if I wouldn't let him operate. When I told this story to a friend of mine, he said "(the doc was a jerk but) he's a surgeon. Surgeons CUT. It's what they DO."

Narrow outlooks - with anything in life- are always a bad idea, close-minded, and non-growth oriented.
    People go through life with their personal hammers, seeing a nail in every situation. it is the way of our species.

Snakes bite its just what they do!!!

User Info Menu

SRV: Natural Born Musician; Blue-eyed Soul Brother. I could never listen to "Rock" music, but Rock and Roll/Blues . . .yes. Dance to it, get drunk, get high, get laid, have fun . . . Here's SRV in one of my favorites. Play live . . . Marinero

***Disclaimer***
    The author claims no responsibility for the above remarks in regards to the standards of acceptable human behavior. Proceed at your own risk. M

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    SRV: Natural Born Musician; Blue-eyed Soul Brother. I could never listen to "Rock" music, but Rock and Roll/Blues . . .yes. Dance to it, get drunk, get high, get laid, have fun . . . Here's SRV in one of my favorites. Play live . . . Marinero

M
    Very strange seeing him without Double Trouble (actually, by '89, it would have been Chris Layton, Tommy Shannon AND Reese Wynans)

User Info Menu

When I told this story to a friend of mine, he said "(the doc was a jerk but) he's a surgeon. Surgeons CUT. It's what they DO."

Surgeon's motto: "When in doubt cut it out!"

User Info Menu

The above mentioned Riviera Paradise with, coincidentally, some Benson-esque runs. 14 year old player with some nice ideas over a backing track on the terrace of a Parisian bar.

User Info Menu

Very strange seeing him without Double Trouble (actually, by '89, it would have been Chris Layton, Tommy Shannon AND Reese Wynans)
    It's Saturday Night Live, the house band, Hiram Bullock on the rhythm guitar!

When I lived in Boston in the mid seventies I was fortunate enough to see Jeff Beck and John McClaughlin with 11 piece Mahavishnu. For me Jeff Beck blew him away with half as many notes and taught me that speed merchants can get boring pretty fast. It was right after Blow by Blow came out and Beck was headlining with the black Les Paul and Benard Purdie on drums. John also had gold top mini humbucker LP and a 1 12 Boogie amp. Jeff used a Marshall top with a Fender Showman bottom and the soundman favored Jeff of course. I saw George Benson in a small club with his trio and blew them both away for me. The context is very important!

Getting hear and see Hiram Bullock live at the Nashville NAAM show and tell his bass player that they had a lot of fans in Music City is one of my most cherished memories. Also I sat outside the Matchless booth a few minutes listening to Hiram enjoy original Matchless amps . I decided not to bother him or Danny Gatton because I dont want to annoy celebs,but looking back I wish I would have told those two how much I got out of their music considering how short their lives were. Tough call sometimes.

User Info Menu

***Disclaimer***
    The author claims no responsibility for the above remarks in regards to the standards of acceptable human behavior. Proceed at your own risk. M
    Real Energy , love that

The bass breaks a string on the last note !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Real Energy , love that

The bass breaks a string on the last note !
    Now, that's Entertainment!

User Info Menu

SRV:

I remember an interview with Will Lee, talking about that evening when Stevie Ray sat in. He remembered how one time as they went to break, the band started playing Baker Street, and Stevie Ray played over those changes, and sounded so good just doing his pentatonic thing. Will said the lesson was how central the blues are to everything we play, and how important it is to be authentic. You be you.

Sometimes I think Stevie did Albert King better than Albert. Check out the duo DVD they did in Canada. Maybe Stevie cared more about tone. Bigger strings,amps,etc. Anyway they both sure wrote the book on great blues pickin !!!

Its very clear they had a Father and son type relationship the way Albert reminds everyone what he stressed as important to a younger Stevie. On the DVD with backing band of course.

User Info Menu

Albert King used at times, a Roland JC-120, an Acoustic head (1.21 Gigawatts!) and an occasional Dual Showman (100 watts, 2 15" JBLs). Big Iron. SRV was using Vibroverbs (two 6l6s, 40-ish watts). I've had two VVS - a '64 Brownface (2-10" Jensens) and a Blackface VV with a 15" spkr. (probably a Jensen). Unless he was using multiple amps (very possible) Albert was showing Fatherly affection, and no little mercy. Has anyone ever seen SRV's rig?

User Info Menu

SRV also used multiple amps, altho I don't know his setup. Vibroverbs, yes. But there was also a Dumble, a Super Reverb... I know he used a Fender Vibratone (which is used in conjunction with a guitar amp).

Loads of SRV info online, it's a bit of an obsession/cult, LOL.... but you can find pretty much anything you need to know. Whereas alot of the old bluesman plugged straight into an amp, and many of them used whatever was on the backline, SRV had a specific rig. I know Albert Collins, altho he only used a cable DID always plug into his Fender Quad reverb, that amp was a part of his signature tone, along with open tuning to Fm, capo use, and playing with his fingers. Nothing special about his tele, except that HE was playing it.