The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast
Posts 401 to 425 of 459
    I saw a Youtube clip of Bruno Mars singing I love you more today than yesterday at some radio station. Quite impressive!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

""Rønnebærene er sure, sagde ræven" .. An old proverb in my country. A Fox stands beneath a rowan berries tree. The tree is too tall for the fox to reach the berries. Disgruntled the fox states that those berries have a sour taste and are inedible anyways" Lobomov

Well, Lobo,
    I think you've stepped in the old proverbial sh-t! Here's a description of your prized fruit. Draw what ever parallels/conclusions you desire. It sounds that "smart like a fox" . . . is true!

": Rowan berries should not be eaten raw as they are highly astringent, diuretic and laxative due to high levels of parasorbic acid! " Perhaps a little like Bruno Mars . . .
    Play live . . . Marinero

P.S. I've never criticized Jads' music since I'm not familiar with it nor do I know who he is . . . however, I believe we agree more about music than we disagree. As old Winston Churchill once said--"show me two people who think the same about everything . . . only one person is thinking." M

Technology changed and let all the amateurs run amok and pretend to be musicians,rock stars, etc. And when they got enough Likes on their Facebook feeds, they become profitable to companies.

With the low cost of recording and production, anyone can pretend. And I'll say this for MILLIONTH TIME! Any other profession would not allow this happen.
    So until people actually start being critical and purchasing quality worth music with their pocketbook, were stuck with old music and a ton of crap both old and new!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    I saw a Youtube clip of Bruno Mars singing I love you more today than yesterday at some radio station. Quite impressive!

Hi, Jads,
    Thanks for the clip. Bruno has a good commercial voice. However, he's no Jazzer nor is his voice distinctive, to me.
    Play live . . . Marinero.

I still be diggin on James Brown ! TOP still in the pocket FUNCKALICIOUS !!!

User Info Menu

Some Great Non-Cuban cigars:
    Cohiba Red Dot
    Montecristo
    H Uppman Reserva
    Rocky Patel "The Edge"
    Camacho Criollo, Ecuador, and Corojo
    Romeo and Juliet Reserva
    Alec Bradley Prensado
    This will get you started if you're interested. They are medium-full bodied cigars of very good-high quality and personally recommended.
    Play live . . . Marinero

How about TOP with George Benson and Robben Ford trading eights in the guitar solo section for some quality commercial dream music? Works For Me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Cohiba Red Dot
    Montecristo
    H Uppman Reserva
    Rocky Patel "The Edge"
    Romeo and Juliet Reserva
    Alec Bradley Prensado
    This will get you started if you're interested. They are medium-full bodied cigars of very good-high quality and personally recommended. I am a Full Bodied Pipe Smoker!!!
    Play live . . . Marinero
    I like some rum or whisky on my pipe tobacco!!!!

User Info Menu

Technology changed and let all the amateurs run amok and pretend to be musicians,rock stars, etc. And when they got enough Likes on their Facebook feeds, they become profitable to companies.

With the low cost of recording and production, anyone can pretend. And I'll say this for MILLIONTH TIME! Any other profession would not allow this happen.
    So until people actually start being critical and purchasing quality worth music with their pocketbook, were stuck with old music and a ton of crap both old and new!

User Info Menu

So true. I blame it all on Don Krishner.

User Info Menu

Any other profession? Music is not like most professions. No one would want to do Dentistry as a hobby, no one does that. Music is like golf, most do it as a hobby. So what?

The problem is there not much demand for professional performance. Radio, record player, ipod, file sharing, internet... all of those chipped away at the audience for live performing. And now all the other entertainment options in the comfort of ones home.

Unless you're playing classic rock, there really isn't much of an audience... at least that's what I see in San Diego.

I agree, I do think we are stuck in the current situation and I don't see any way out of it. If you're good enough to rise to the top, perhaps be a session player in Nashville, not sure.

The best jazz musicians in town, I can see them play at a restaurant with no cover, maybe 25% of the patrons are interested in listening which might be 5-10 people, sad.

San Diego players like this who for the past year end up playing live like this which was streamed live:

Last edited by fep; 05-15-2021 at 07:37 PM.

Agreed Guns and Roses SUCK! As do many other older bands. The true heroes of guitar are Neil LeVang from Lawrence Welke fame as well as many other not well known names.

Rock is a weird thing do kits popularity in selling so many records and tickets. Jazz never sold like that or generated that much revenues for the players.
    That's why as well as someone like Eddi Van Halen could play, it was the album sales and radio play that made him as well as others Rock Stars!

I did my first Nasville reording session when I was 16 years old. There were some minor mistakes in my performances and wanted to go back and correct them. These sessions were at Shelby Singleton a big time production group at the time. The old country producer said " Kid the farmers dont know and the teenagers dont care" Mind you those tracks were only demos for an Arkansas songwriter not masters for an established star ,but the commercial mind set is about money not quality music. The Grammy Awards speaks loudly for their evil values IMHO.

User Info Menu

Cohiba Red Dot
    Montecristo
    H Uppman Reserva
    Rocky Patel "The Edge"
    Romeo and Juliet Reserva
    Alec Bradley Prensado
    This will get you started if you're interested. They are medium-full bodied cigars of very good-high quality and personally recommended.
    Play live . . . Marinero
    I've had a few of those. And a Hennessey XO or Paradis for me, please.

Well at least there is YT these days! I would say Jacob Collier for overall musician and the Maniscuso or something similar from Italy who plays finger-style on electric are gonna have very substantial and exciting musical gifts and long lasting careers for us to enjoy ! I hope the Italian guitarist finds an original voice soon because he has already proved he can cover many of the top players before him. He may do well to study composition as his area to focus more in. IMO

User Info Menu

Hi, M,
    There is a reality to Jads' remarks: namely, things have changed. Let me give an example.
    Really? Things change? AND you are giving an example of this strange phenomonon?
    Man you are smart!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steve burchfield
    Well at least there is YT these days! I would say Jacob Collier for overall musician and the Maniscuso or something similar from Italy who plays finger-style on electric are gonna have very substantial and exciting musical gifts and long lasting careers for us to enjoy ! I hope the Italian guitarist finds an original voice soon because he has already proved he can cover many of the top players before him. He may do well to study composition as his area to focus more in. IMO
    I agree. Whether or not he’ll do this, I don’t know. I think this requires time in the gigging world being counselled by experienced players etc. Go to New York if you can, etc.

Mancuso represents the pinnacle of the form of generic jamming over generic backing tracks tbh (as in, here’s my Holdsworthian fusion thing, here’s a blues thing, here’s a djent thing, here’s a bop thing etc). This suits the casual nature of platforms like Instagram because you can appreciate very quickly that these musicians can really play because they 1) sound like a well known genre and 2) are absolutely shredding. There’s a lot of it about and players are getting amazing at doing this.

Would you hire any of these players for sessions? Well they’d have to have proven live and studio chops. Are they the kinds of players happy to nail simple parts with great tone and time and contribute tasteful arrangement ideas etc? Maybe not. That’s a skill set and reputation which exists independent of ones ability to shred fusion solos. Technically they can all piss rings around Tim Pierce but I know who I would call if I were a producer (maybe get Mancuso in if I wanted a dazzling set piece solo of course.)

Would you book any of these players to do a jazz gig? Again maybe, maybe not. You'd have to know if they had the skill set. You don’t get a sense of that from an Instagram video.

So in times gone by this would have all been developed in the actual world of work. Now, increasingly the context is to remain online. They can make money demoing gear and getting sent gear for free. maybe tutorials etc in how to develop ridiculo-chops.

I don’t mean to come across as judgy about this. (Hey, online is where I live atm like everyone.) For those who aren’t interested in making original music per se, but rather playing awesome guitar it certainly beats driving an Uber for a living, and OTOH Live music is tough enough even when there isn’t a global pandemic.

In terms of my own taste think that the musicians I’m into for myself have a compositional slant. That’s why I like Reinier Baas; he’s a talented and eclectic composer as well as a very distinctive voice on guitar (and a ridiculous player) who also has - a sense of humour. But he’s a bit older tbf.

i like Knower for the same reasons, but I don’t like it so much when they tend to go into live band funk, it’s more generic. The EDM style tracks are much cooler to me. The other stuff is a bit ‘Berklee funk’ to borrow Neely’s term.

Re: Collier? There was a time when everyone was so dazzled by him that his music itself was kind of irrelevant. It was mostly arrangements at that point anyway. Now he’s been a thing for a while, people are starting to make assessments based on whether or not they like his music, as they would with any artist.
    Last edited by christianm77; 05-16-2021 at 05:15 AM.

User Info Menu

Matteo Mancuso, Jacob Collier, Snarky Puppy, Corey Wong, Vulfpeck: this is music for people who went to music school. It is not cool. It is Spyro Gyra all over again.

Please, think of the children.

User Info Menu

Just very good music . . .

User Info Menu

" I think this requires time in the gigging world being counselled by experienced players"

"Would you hire any of these players for sessions? Well they’d have to have proven live and studio chops. Are they the kinds of players happy to nail simple parts with great tone and time and contribute tasteful arrangement ideas etc?"
    Christianm77

Hi, C,
    Well said! There is no substitute for live performance. Period. There is no video magician that can impart what years of playing in ensembles can produce. I know there are some younger players here who believe the internet is the panacea for all aspects of Life. It's not true. What we are losing now with our sad state of quality musical live performance is an opportunity for talented players to develop into first-class musicians. And, can you blame club owners, record producers, etc., who need to turn a profit by booking garbage that sells when less than 1.4% of market share listens to Jazz? I've never regretted leaving music as a "profession" when Disco replaced live music and killed jobs overnight. And, it was generated ,in full force, when Hollywood produced "Saturday Night Fever" in 1977. By 1980, the majority of Clubs in Chicago, Miami, went to Disco and the message was clear--live ensemble music, with the exception of a few players, was dead as a profession.
    Sadly, as a "weekend warrior" and a full-time business owner(now retired), I've made more in the last 25 years playing Classical/Bossa/Jazz solo than I could ever have made as a struggling Saxer full-time playing in ensembles. But, what I've missed the most is the benefit of playing with other musicians and the huge knowledge/growth that the experience affords. And, this does not mean that personal study is not important for growth, but rather than there are aspects of musicianship you cannot get from study and will only be experienced when playing live. Perhaps once this Covid madness is finished, I might try what Dutchbopper is doing: a nice trio with guitar, bass, and female vocalist. But, then again, will someone pay for our services?
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Oke, 1980. This is over 40 years ago. I know this is a forum populated by old men, but come on: life goes on.

Mariner is absolutely spot on! The current generation is a Youtube generation. They market themselves differently.
    I had to go find bands to play with as well as jam sessions. Then if you were good enough you were allowed to join in. Bypassing this process is a major No No in my opinion. It allows anyone to pose as a professional

Other occupations do this by degrees or or exams,etc. There are no rules or fines for posing as a musician or entertainer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    Oke, 1980. This is over 40 years ago. I know this is a forum populated by old men, but come on: life goes on.
    Hi, M,
    I suppose what you and SOME in your generation will never understand is that THERE WAS A TIME!
    Play live . . . Funkmaster Marinero

User Info Menu

Back in the day Mozart wrote symphonies, those were the days.
    I love maceo. You see? Not of my generation but I still love the guy. I saw him LIVE at least twice. Did you ever see snarky?

User Info Menu

I had to go find bands to play with as well as jam sessions. Then if you were good enough you were allowed to join in. Bypassing this process is a major No No in my opinion. It allows anyone to pose as a professional
    People can pose all they want, but once they start playing the posing stops, doesn't it. You can't fake your way through a musical career ( well some can, but it is an expensive scam), can you?

Besides that. I really don't know who it is you are talking about. I am 50 + myself so i don't pretent to know all the upcoming artists,but the ones i do know, are creative, don't necessarily have a youtube channel, play live shows, are good musicians basically.