The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Posts 176 to 200 of 459

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Littlemark
    That is not downloading, that is ripping. And is not legal.
    nope.

you can rip all the videos from YT to your heart's delight. since all videos on youtube are legal you're allowed to make a private copy of any content. youtube's TOS are meaningless. you do not have to accept them to use the service.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    nope.

you can rip all the videos from YT to your heart's delight. since all videos on youtube are legal you're allowed to make a private copy of any content. youtube's TOS are meaningless. you do not have to accept them to use the service.
    Able do things, and are legally allowed to do things are very different. I'm not sure their legal team would agree with your liberal interpretation of the law.
    FYI not all videos uploaded on YT are legal.
    I'm not even sure you can legally make a mix tape recorded from the radio. Nevermind the people who rip CDs and post the audio in YouTube without the artists knowledge or consent.

Unless you are being sarcastic. In which case, you are not making that clear. Nor is it mildly humourous.

Think of all the musicians like Jugz69 and Marinara you are putting out of work! Will someone please think of the retired musicians! I mean children.
    Last edited by Littlemark; 04-24-2021 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Grammar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Of course they're not completely dead but there were so many other kinds of entertainment coming up. Lap dance strip clubs, rap, drum machine music, karoke, electronic music, DJs.
    I don't spend much time trying to find post 80's rock that I like. Soundgarden was good.
    I like this;

And they’re wearing coats and playing on carpet!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    how the hell does one hang out at a jazz forum without ever having heard of a cutting session?

Wow...never seen that movie. There are some heavyweight modern players in that band!

User Info Menu

Speaking of cutting contests:

User Info Menu

And the Stylistics...

Do you have any idea how many babies were made to this music? When that first guy starts singing, the clothes start coming off.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thelostboss
    My challenge to you: pick five pieces of music [any style or genre] that could be played in a thirty minute time frame without commentary, that would allow listeners to walk away knowing something about who you were!

Could you do this, could anyone here?
    Sure. They would be pieces I composed. That would be the truest way to do that. Not that any of them are actually good, mind you, but that would also be part of my truth: I am a middling musician with pretensions.

If you mean songs composed and performed by someone else, also sure- the songs that changed my musical life from early adulthood. Keeping it down to five would be the difficult bit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    I like this;

Thread diversion- Nels Cline (with twin brother on drums, it was a smidge disconcerting until I looked up Nels on Wikipedia). There is still some fine music being done in the world.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    wow do you buy any music at all, or just stealing?
    Stealing? Why would you assume that?

The download service I use pays a royalty fee through iTunes for the music. You shouldn’t accuse anyone of doing something you have zero knowledge of lest you come off sounding like a total idiot.

I simply refuted the post from the individual who stated its impossible to download something from YouTube. Now apologize for your ignorance too!

User Info Menu

I don't understand the point you are trying to make here.

Are you trying to say that despite what the top records were, there was other better music?

Well no shit. I think that you can say the same for music made today.

If that is that not your point, please explain.

Also, for what it's worth I haven't heard of the Stylistics. Should I? Listened to a few cuts. Doesn't do anything for me.
    What generation are you from! It’s a free world. Whatever floats boat.

User Info Menu

Able do things, and are legally allowed to do things are very different. I'm not sure their legal team would agree with your liberal interpretation of the law.
    I'm not even sure you can legally make a mix tape recorded from the radio. Nevermind the people who rip CDs and post the audio in YouTube without the artists knowledge or consent.

Unless you are being sarcastic. I'm which case. You are not making that clear. Nor is it mildly humourous.

Think of all the musicians like Jugz69 and Marinara you are putting out of work! Will someone please think of the retired musicians! I mean children.
    Jugz69? How did I miss that, lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    And the Stylistics...

Do you have any idea how many babies were made to this music? When that first guy starts singing, the clothes start coming off.

”I listened to a few of their cuts. Doesn’t do anything for me.”

The Stylistics were one of the iconic groups of the 70’s. For someone to have missed hearing them entirely back then is very headscratching!

User Info Menu

Unless you are being sarcastic. I'm which case. You are not making that clear. Nor is it mildly humourous.

Oh boy, are you a part of the internet download police?

Were you around in 1979 when VCR’s were a thing? Did you record a movie from HBO? So you “ripped” movies for your own use?

There are legal download services. Simply because you’re not aware of them is not a valid argument.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop

The download service I use pays a royalty fee through iTunes for the music. You shouldn’t accuse anyone of doing something you have zero knowledge of lest you come off sounding like a total idiot.

I simply refuted the post from the individual who stated its impossible to download something from YouTube. Now apologize for your ignorance too!
    You are bragging about having 1000 tunes downloaded via youtube. I assume you download it for your listening pleasure? Why not buy those tunes on iTunes or Apple or whatever? I know how to download from youtube using a shady app, either mp3 or mp4, any child knows that.

My question to you sir is, why? Personally I do it once in a while only for work purposes, if i need to transcribe a tune, and, and that's important, if I'm not going to use it for listening pleasure. Even then I still feel bad and I have to admit I'm not doing a right thing.

But any music that I truly like I buy. I make sure I pay. If you don't, you are a thief. I'm not apologizing, I directly call you a thief.

User Info Menu

You are bragging about having 1000 tunes downloaded via youtube. I assume you download it for your listening pleasure? Why not buy those tunes on iTunes or Apple or whatever? I know how to download from youtube using a shady app, either mp3 or mp4, any child knows that.

My question to you sir is, why? Personally I do it once in a while only for work purposes, if i need to transcribe a tune, and, and that's important, if I'm not going to use it for listening pleasure. Even then I still feel bad and I have to admit I'm not doing a right thing.

But any music that I truly like I buy. I make sure I pay. If you don't, you are a thief. I'm not apologizing, I directly call you a thief.
    I’m the thief for acknowledging doing the identical thing you do? That’s the pot calling the kettle black. I’ve also got a 3000 album collection and a 2000 cd collection. A Russian from a mafia controlled country calling anyone a thief is rich!

User Info Menu

Yeah I imagine Hep voted for Putin like I voted for Boris Johnson.

User Info Menu

I’m the thief for acknowledging doing the identical thing you do? That’s the pot calling the kettle black. I’ve also got a 3000 album collection and a 2000 cd collection. A Russian from a mafia controlled country calling anyone a thief is rich!
    Ok, I pledge I will stop doing this for whatever reasons. I will not download any music from youtube or any source for free from now on. Because yes, if I'm doing this I'm stealing and I'm a thief too, even if I've never done this in numbers that you claimed, not even close. No matter, stealing is stealing. I wont do it again. Will you?

User Info Menu

Ok, I pledge I will stop doing this for whatever reasons. I will not download any music from youtube or any source for free from now on. Because yes, if I'm doing this I'm stealing and I'm a thief too, even if I've never done this in numbers that you claimed, not even close. No matter, stealing is stealing. I wont do it again. Will you?
    I stopped downloading years ago. I’m not listening to music as I once did. But I applaud you for your acknowledgment.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Yeah I imagine Hep voted for Putin like I voted for Boris Johnson.
    There aren’t many on this forum who’ve been to Russia. I have. I spent a year between Russia and Ukraine. I truly enjoyed the laid back approach to life. And I met many truly wonderful people. That experience was one of the most rewarding of my life. And one learns that nothing happens without someone having their hand out. That in no way diminishes the beauty of either country. It’s simply reality.

User Info Menu

This forum really really removes any regret I might have had about ultimately not pursuing my teenage dream of becoming a musician

User Info Menu

You have not refuted my post. You are not downloading anything FROM YouTube. You are using a program that rips the file from YouTube. And you download it from your program. I am interested to know about this program. I have doubts about it paying royalties. Especially if the artist has no connection to iTunes.

I was taking issue with your nomenclature.
    Last edited by Littlemark; 04-24-2021 at 04:11 PM.

User Info Menu

What generation are you from! It’s a free world. Whatever floats boat.
    That doesn't clarify your meaning. And is confusing.

When did I imply you aren't allowed to like whatever you want? I think I've been making the opposite point since the start of the thread.

What generation do you think I'm from?

PS. It is not a free world.
    Last edited by Littlemark; 04-24-2021 at 04:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    And the Stylistics...

My girlfriend literally turned to me and said "what the hell are you listening to?" With a scowl on her face.
    That's why I love her.
    Last edited by Littlemark; 04-24-2021 at 04:18 PM.

User Info Menu

It's entirely possible. Someone with whom I went to music school with had never heard the Beatles. They were vaguely aware they were a music group.
    I find that more baffling.

User Info Menu

Oh boy, are you a part of the internet download police?

Were you around in 1979 when VCR’s were a thing? Did you record a movie from HBO? So you “ripped” movies for your own use?

There are legal download services. Simply because you’re not aware of them is not a valid argument.
    I am not part of any police force.
    I indeed have used a VCR. I can even set the time! I have never recorded a film from HBO. But that is not relevant.

I was not claiming any high ground about it, merely questioning the legality and correcting your terminology.

I am not sure why you are getting defensive. But you should probably not assume that I am not aware of legal means to download music, or films, or books. But I am certainly but aware of ALL of them.
    Last edited by Littlemark; 04-24-2021 at 05:35 PM.