The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Posts 151 to 175 of 459

User Info Menu

BTW I'm not going to lead you through the racist implications doorway I opened above. Just pointing out the corelation and likely causation.

What I will add is, very often people don't like what is new or novel. As an extreme well used example consider the riot at the premire for the rite of spring. Too much dissonance. The public wasn't prepared.
    A year later when the suite was performed, to a sold out audience, the public loved it. They were expecting it and had a year to digest it.

Ignorance is also a culprit in causing people not to like things. Lots of people say they don't like opera. Likely they don't like the idea of opera. They haven't been introduced to it properly or haven't been prepared. Or real country music. Or Jazz. Or Reggae. My dad would get upset and tell me to turn down my music if I had Reggae on. But he went to the Caribbean and for some reason came back with some CDs enjoying it. Exposure certainly helps. (I have no idea why he could palate me playing Black Flag, but not Barrington Levy. Again racist door. I wonder if he ever heard me play Bad Brains.)

I used to really not like Picasso. Until I understood what he was trying to accomplish. I also didn't appreciate EDM at all until I understood it was made for dancing. Not to sit at home and listen to through headphones on an easy chair.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Why 1990? What is different after that?
    YouTube was launched in 2005. And you can't download music from it.
    You might be thinking about Napster, but that was launched in 1999.

I'm sure you know if many other popular artists other than Whitney.

User Info Menu

List of the tops artist of the 90s. Based on the number of #1 singles.
    Mariah Carey, Janet Jackson, Boyz II Men, Madonna, Whitney Houston, Celine Dion, TLC, Wilson Phillips, Paula Abdul, Bryan Adams, Puff Daddy (or the artist formally known as Puff Daddy).

None of them would I entertain the idea of listening to on my own time. Maybe Brian Adams, but not from that 90s.

User Info Menu

For fun I'll post the top artist from every decade starting in the 40s.

40s
    50s (1950-58 because the hot 100 was established in 1958)
    Artist Weeks at number-one
    Elvis Presley 57
    Patti Page 22
    Tony Bennett 20
    Perry Como 20
    Les Paul and Mary Ford 20
    Rosemary Clooney 13
    Eddie Fisher 13

60s (1958-69)

70s

80s

2000s
    2010s

VERY few of those artist would I listen to.
    Elvis (but not any of his hits that's for sure)
    Les Paul and Mary Ford. Yup! Awesome!
    Rosemary Clooney. Love, come on to my house.
    The Rolling Stones. Sure, but they have more albums than good songs. IMO
    The Jackson 5 and MJ are pretty fun.
    Adele. Great singer. Not my bag, but she is talented.
    6 /7 Artists in over 80 years

What is more noteworthy are the number of people of colour on that list. It seems to me something changed in the 2000s when Napster and Youtube arrived. People could choose to listen to whomever they wanted to. Not just what the radio or MTV shoved down their throats.

Number of people of colour by decade
    40s = 0
    50s = 0
    60s = 1 (well the Supremes)
    70s = 4 (I'll count the multi racial KC and the sunshine band)
    80s = 5
    90s = 7
    2000s = 18 (Number of Caucasian artists 3)
    2010s = 6 (Caucasian 7)

User Info Menu

Move over Millennial whoop, hello Gen Z romance.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    how the hell does one hang out at a jazz forum without ever having heard of a cutting session?

This is actually an excellent post for this forum.

How many soloists are listening for a b9 #5 b13 to include in their solos?

The compers are keeping rhythm and the progression generic.

User Info Menu

I like where Gen Z is going with all this. They're more like the 60's generation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Littlemark
    For fun I'll post the top artist from every decade starting in the 40s.

40s
    50s (1950-58 because the hot 100 was established in 1958)
    Artist Weeks at number-one
    Elvis Presley 57
    Patti Page 22
    Tony Bennett 20
    Perry Como 20
    Les Paul and Mary Ford 20
    Rosemary Clooney 13
    Eddie Fisher 13

60s (1958-69)

70s

80s

2000s
    2010s

VERY few of those artist would I listen to.
    Elvis (but not any of his hits that's for sure)
    Les Paul and Mary Ford. Yup! Awesome!
    Rosemary Clooney. Love, come on to my house.
    The Rolling Stones. Sure, but they have more albums than good songs. IMO
    The Jackson 5 and MJ are pretty fun.
    Adele. Great singer. Not my bag, but she is talented.
    6 /7 Artists in over 80 years

What is more noteworthy are the number of people of colour on that list. It seems to me something changed in the 2000s when Napster and Youtube arrived. People could choose to listen to whomever they wanted to. Not just what the radio or MTV shoved down their throats.

Number of people of colour by decade
    40s = 0
    50s = 0
    60s = 1 (well the Supremes)
    70s = 4 (I'll count the multi racial KC and the sunshine band)
    80s = 5
    90s = 7
    2000s = 18 (Number of Caucasian artists 3)
    2010s = 6 (Caucasian 7)
    Philly soul, Motown, Stax, Atlantic records put out poor records because non blacks didn’t buy them? Ever hear of the Stylistics? Some grew up listening to all the music of the 60’s, 70’s. All of it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Littlemark
    Why 1990? What is different after that?
    YouTube was launched in 2005. And you can't download music from it.
    You might be thinking about Napster, but that was launched in 1999.

I'm sure you know if many other popular artists other than Whitney.
    One can download the entire YouTube catalog. Videos and music listings. And it’s easy to learn how to do it. I’ve some 1000 songs in my iTunes folder all from YouTube. And I play them back through my home audio system from my computer, to a dac, through electrostatic speakers. You have much to learn my friend.

My point is that when actual professional musicians were involved in the creative proccess of making Pop Music. The synergy of their interactions and breadth of musical experiences and abilities, made for more creative music overall.

The Monkees having the Wrecking Crew, Motown the Funk Bros., Elvis, Dusty Springfield having American Studios in Memphis,etc....

The third generation of James Brown imitators have all of the chops and none of the actual Soul nor Feel of the original. More like Jazz students who learned Charlie Parker licks like a Parrot. Without the actual experience of playing tons of gigs in the saddle for a living!
    At least Prince had the good sense to move it forward. And even then I felt it was rather stiff and over rehearsed to death.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Good discussion fellows on all sides! I started this again from my viewpoint at my age and as a pro musician who's always loved Jazz.
    To me music that Grooves and has human interaction is what moves me.
    So that can be any genre as well, even Pop.

When it became drum machines and Pro Tools, it became too robotic. Actual songs are not jingles or music sound tracks which depend on the exact clock.
    So when Prince and Michael Jackson became huge in the 1980s Pop embraced this rigid formula, which basically affected all music genres.
    The 80's was a horrible decade with overrated music. I only cared about $$.
    This was the 80's;

I listen to 60's and 70's music now.

User Info Menu

This is the most epic 'get off my lawn' thread of all time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    The 80's was a horrible decade with overrated music. I only cared about $$.
    This was the 80's;

I listen to 60's and 70's music now.
    80's and 90's was the best, pls. 50's was fun. 60's only in UK was fun. 70's sucked all around, too much soft music.

Judging from the charts though, I hated music mostly in all decades. Mainstream was something to stay away from at all times for me.

''And the public gets what the public wants

But I want nothing this society's got''

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    One can download the entire YouTube catalog. Videos and music listings. And it’s easy to learn how to do it. I’ve some 1000 songs in my iTunes folder all from YouTube. And I play them back through my home audio system from my computer, to a dac, through electrostatic speakers. You have much to learn my friend.
    wow do you buy any music at all, or just stealing?

User Info Menu

The 80's was greedy and narcissistic. Bands were dead by 86'.

User Info Menu

Here's some 60's soft rock;

User Info Menu

Bands were dead by 86'.
    Does it even makes sense to you? I know you're doing comedy, but still?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Of course they're not completely dead but there were so many other kinds of entertainment coming up. Lap dance strip clubs, rap, drum machine music, karoke, electronic music, DJs.
    I don't spend much time trying to find post 80's rock that I like. Soundgarden was good.
    I like this;

User Info Menu

Boomers are lamenting. Big names are cashing out.
    Take all music after 1979 and blast it into outer space. I wouldn't care.

User Info Menu

Generally, I like bands that wear coats and play on carpets.

User Info Menu

On the west coast we lost our band gigs overseas at the same time 'gangster' rap started. We knew each other. It was a ball of confusion. This was before 1989. It was 1985-86'.
    Earthquake Bird is a good movie. It's about the bubble in 80's Japan.

In a word- disorienting.

User Info Menu

That is not downloading, that is ripping. And is not legal. Not to mention the audio quality is less than impressive
    You have much to learn my friend.

User Info Menu

Philly soul, Motown, Stax, Atlantic records put out poor records because non blacks didn’t buy them? Ever hear of the Stylistics? Some grew up listening to all the music of the 60’s, 70’s. All of it.
    I don't understand the point you are trying to make here.

Are you trying to say that despite what the top records were, there was other better music?

Well no shit. I think that you can say the same for music made today.

If that is that not your point, please explain.

Also, for what it's worth I haven't heard of the Stylistics. Should I? Listened to a few cuts. Doesn't do anything for me.
    Last edited by Littlemark; 04-24-2021 at 07:48 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    My point is that when actual professional musicians were involved in the creative proccess of making Pop Music. The synergy of their interactions and breadth of musical experiences and abilities, made for more creative music overall.

The Monkees having the Wrecking Crew, Motown the Funk Bros., Elvis, Dusty Springfield having American Studios in Memphis,etc....

The third generation of James Brown imitators have all of the chops and none of the actual Soul nor Feel of the original. More like Jazz students who learned Charlie Parker licks like a Parrot. Without the actual experience of playing tons of gigs in the saddle for a living!
    At least Prince had the good sense to move it forward. And even then I felt it was rather stiff and over rehearsed to death.
    Ohhh "actual" musicians! As opposed to the musicians who are not actual. Got it.

I do love the interaction of Les Paul and Les Paul and Les Paul with Les Paul. The fidelity was also top notch.

Using the same A-Team musicians does not induce creativity. It creates a singular sound. (Granted a few different sounds fun different studios) Decreasing the breadth of sound and creativity. Having Chet Atkins produce everything out of Nashville for decades does not sound diverse. The opposite.

Why do you want everyone to sound like James Brown or Parker? That doesn't sound very creative. Tastes change. Just as dancing changes. Dancing in 1940 is very different from 1960, is very different from 1980 is very different from today. Just as clothing styles have changed. None are better or worse. Just different.

Why would you want everyone to dress like they were still in the 70s? *Shudder*

http://hbz.h-cdn.co/assets/15/46/hbz...s-50781179.jpg
    Right on!

is this soulful enough?

User Info Menu

Boomers are lamenting. Big names are cashing out.
    Take all music after 1979 and blast it into outer space. I wouldn't care.
    I would.
    Most Punk and all hardcore would be gone. And two tone ska. Joy Division. Big Sandy and the Fly-Rite trio. Kanye West. JD McPherson. Julian Lage. Sierra Ferrell.

Maybe not all of those.