The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 459

User Info Menu

I dig some pop music. But all music and art is about - I THINK - showing what and who our culture is in it's time. So I kind of look at art as a Ken Burns documentary, or history subject and leave my personal antipathy out of it as much as possible. It simply is and it show me where the world is at any given time. I have my taste but that's jazz and art music. Pop is a whole different thing.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Right, pop isn’t art - it’s pop art. The adjective is important.

User Info Menu

50+ years ago everyone grew up going to church on Sundays hearing common practice 4-part counterpoint hymns. Then as they became older, aspired to signal their sophistication and class status by ‘appreciating’ Jazz and Classical. That culture no longer exists. My hope is the kids today, primarily Asian judging from where my son takes piano lessons, who study music as part of a plan to get them into top colleges. Hopefully this gives them a basis for a lifelong love of music.

User Info Menu

My dissatisfaction with today's music:

in jazz guitar- new players are too polite and clean and display no connection with rocknroll or blues, unlike the generation of players like Sco.

in pop- no trends of heavy aggressive rock, but most of you dont like it anyway, so I'm sure its not a problem.

My reaction- f.. it who gives a s..t I'll do what I wanna do anyway, anyone else dont matter. I think it's a healthy attitude for an overgrown teenager, makes you happy and non whiny.

User Info Menu

Well I do remember folky songs infiltrating church, boy were they bad. They wanted to "get with it" hehe. And it hasn't stopped (pop schlock in church that is).

I can only speak for myself but I heard classical music because my parents played it in the home, constantly. And I thought it was.... mmmmm OK I guess. Then I heard the Beatles and 60s and 70s rock and took up the guitar.

The hippie rockers were emulating jazzers with their instrumental jams by the time Woodstock happened. Even they wanted to stretch out, and do more than sing about girls and whatnot. I agreed and became more and more interested in the virtuosic or near virtuosic playing, and then became bored with it (rock) altogether. My guitar teacher "turned me on to" George Benson and jazz, and that was it for me. You should see my record and CD collection. Who has room for all this stuff?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    Maybe the problem with "music these days" is a divergence between "creative" and "derivative".

Music has a derivative component (looking back or reflecting the influence of the past, a nod to authenticity) and a creative component (the new sound, blazing a trail). These components must converge and complement within the composing phase to result in good music of all types. This is one of the primary challenges of music composers - finding the right balance between old and new.

Music these days sounds like it is losing the musicianship and composing talent to form and hold musical convergence; the components don't support each other so the derivative aspects have a "slapped together made by machine" vibe. The creative aspects seem to be increasingly focusing on more nonmusical oriented stuff - the "artist's" story, look, cred, attitude, clothing, etc.

Truth be told; these days I listen to music and consider how it would fit in at my funeral! Would a listener hear it/visualise it as something that reflected my life?

Any body else have this perspective? . . . . . . .

Music has to express the vitality, movement and emotion that you have/had throughout life . . . .

I am still working on that soundtrack but I already know a lot that will NOT be there!

Maybe this is a trick to work out what music matters to you?

User Info Menu

What music matters to me?
    Bands. They're my generation. Jam Bands. The whole scope of boomer music from old to young. Rap was fun at first but it means nothing to me. I like classical sometimes. A little jazz.
    I might be able to name 7-8 pop songs I like in the last 20 years. I am blown away by Olivia Rodrigo. A lot of people are.
    She's the autotune killer. She has a lot of people worried. She's still a corporate Disney kid but that's no so bad.

Blues I like is hard to come by. I like a non-virtuoso style of Chicago blues like JB Hutto.
    I like new bluegrass.

User Info Menu

Is all about K-pop now

User Info Menu

Rodrigo is good. Even Beato likes her haha.

However is anyone else a bit tired of pop stars taking over the NPR Tiny Desk concerts? I mean that’s were all the nerdy proper musos like Chris Thile and Anna Meredith are meant to hang out and now it’s Demi Lovato (who I don’t hate) sounding a wee bit pitch corrected to me.

User Info Menu

In other news, I just realised I didn’t dream this

Ariana Grande has been covering this tune for a while.

I think everyone was in lockdown with too much time to shed lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Is all about K-pop now
    Well Christian I am, as an Englishman, probably about as cynical as you right now - but being significantly older have a slightly different perspective.

What is popular now has little to no impact. Had I done absolutely nothing with my life then it might have the appeal of immediacy; but that is not the case.

For my analysis what matters is reflecting on ones past/prior life and considering what, if any, music sums up part, or all, of that period.

My challenge to you: pick five pieces of music [any style or genre] that could be played in a thirty minute time frame without commentary, that would allow listeners to walk away knowing something about who you were!

Could you do this, could anyone here?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thelostboss
    Well Christian I am, as an Englishman, probably about as cynical as you right now - but being significantly older have a slightly different perspective.

What is popular now has little to no impact. Had I done absolutely nothing with my life then it might have the appeal of immediacy; but that is not the case.

For my analysis what matters is reflecting on ones past/prior life and considering what, if any, music sums up part, or all, of that period.

My challenge to you: pick five pieces of music [any style or genre] that could be played in a thirty minute time frame without commentary, that would allow listeners to walk away knowing something about who you were!

Could you do this, could anyone here?
    You could go and listen to my latest album. That’s about 35m long. (9 tracks tho.)
    Vs London | The Hot Club of Jupiter

User Info Menu

No Worries. I will do that, is there a purchase link?

Can it be considered as your "dying declaration" or more of an "interim confession"?

. . . . or possibly "some spots I passed through on the way"?

You young guys get all [or many] of the options!

Cheers

User Info Menu

OK, purchased, but I don't know how long the " buy now; my dying declaration" thing will work for you <<G>>!

User Info Menu

OK, purchased, but I don't know how long the " buy now; my dying declaration" thing will work for you <<G>>!
    Well thanks very much. I’m very proud of this record and I hope you enjoy it as much we enjoyed writing and recording it!

User Info Menu

No Worries. I will do that, is there a purchase link?

Can it be considered as your "dying declaration" or more of an "interim confession"?

. . . . or possibly "some spots I passed through on the way"?

You young guys get all [or many] of the options!

Cheers
    Feels like it’s summing up to date .

User Info Menu

I guess that I was not clear enough in my suggestion. Given that we are talking of of "music in the wild" how much music produced by people other than ourselves do we think could, in an emotional and spiritual sense, sum us up to someone who never knew us. [personally I probably have enough recordings of my own music to bore listeners into joining me in the grave!] So; what music by performers other than ourselves resonates enough for each of us to consider that it is a partial representation of "us" as personalities?

But - for Christian; enjoyed it very much and will recommend it to friends.
    Last edited by thelostboss; 04-15-2021 at 09:15 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks lostboss! Glad you enjoyed it.

I have to confess it’s not something that’s ever really occurred to me.

Freind if you can't tell or hear the difference between Snarky Puppy and The Brecker Bros, than I get why you might be upset by my comments.
    Same thing in my day between say John McGlaughlin and Al Dimeaola as musicians.
    Al is a great technician and plays with precision, but lacks the depth and emotion of John McGlaughlins playing.

M main argument is music has been sanitized by technical advances. And if you grow up not hearing great performances by all styles, then you become acclimated to it.
    Before drum machines, and Pro Tools, music was more interactive. Not so perfect and synced to a Click Track. I would rather hear Ringo play drums than any drum machine. Limited as his abilities may be, he made the feel and interacted with the other Beatles.

User Info Menu

However is anyone else a bit tired of pop stars taking over the NPR Tiny Desk concerts? I mean that’s were all the nerdy proper musos like Chris Thile and Anna Meredith are meant to hang out and now it’s Demi Lovato (who I don’t hate) sounding a wee bit pitch corrected to me.
    Top 30 Singles Chart Philippines - Music Weekly Asia

The Hot 100 Chart | Billboard

Rodrigo is #5 and #8 on Billboard. She's not in the top 30 on the Philippines chart. BTS is huge. I guess it is all about KPop.
    Strange. She speaks Tagalog.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    I remember my 7th grade music teacher, Ms. Fanning.

She said OK class, popular music isn't bad!

We listened to a song by Judy Collins and went over the lyrics. Then a song by Elton John. It was about suicide.
    I thought, OK Ms. Fanning. Popular music doesn't suck sometimes.
    My elementary school teacher played Strauss for us and we danced waltzes, also taught us folk songs and--shudder!--show tunes. I still remember all those songs.

In high school we had a couple of teachers who taught Joni Mitchell and Bob Dylan as poetry. There was an informal Dylan club that still continues btw via Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Freind if you can't tell or hear the difference between Snarky Puppy and The Brecker Bros, than I get why you might be upset by my comments.
    Same thing in my day between say John McGlaughlin and Al Dimeaola as musicians.
    Al is a great technician and plays with precision, but lacks the depth and emotion of John McGlaughlins playing.

M main argument is music has been sanitized by technical advances. And if you grow up not hearing great performances by all styles, then you become acclimated to it.
    Before drum machines, and Pro Tools, music was more interactive. Not so perfect and synced to a Click Track. I would rather hear Ringo play drums than any drum machine. Limited as his abilities may be, he made the feel and interacted with the other Beatles.
    Ringo is a great drummer. The Beatles would have been nothing without Ringo. All up-and-coming groups should be so lucky to have a Ringo.

User Info Menu

In other news, I just realised I didn’t dream this

Ariana Grande has been covering this tune for a while.

I think everyone was in lockdown with too much time to shed lol
    Not a fan but Drake is hilarious;

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57

So if I actually dislike Brecker Bros then there is something wrong with me? ... Neither is my favorite, but I'll take snarky puppy over the breckers anyday.

That period in jazz/fusion from from say 1975 to 1983 that has the breckers as their flagship is utterly ghastly ... Reminds me of kids pulling cats by their tails

But that fact is about taste, so you won't hear me saying that they where lesser musicians than say the Miles Davis Quintets

User Info Menu

Not to sound like a fanboy but Driver's License is an anthem for a generation. Same as Smells Like Teen Spirit. I actually saw Nirvana and they didn't play the song.
    i was right about Cameo. In the 80's I thought that was the straight dance music that would be played down the road.
    Boomers didn't have anthems I guess.
    Hendrix doing the national anthem at Woodstock?

I'm not here to criticize any individuals preferences in music. I'm only pointing out that technology has changed not only how we listen to music but how it's affected the actual music being made and not for the better imo.

As far as Ringo and his abilities, I stand by my comments. Love the feel he brought to The Beatles, but even George Martin brought in other drummers to play what Ringo couldn't. Bernard Purdie, was brought in to play "Baby You Can Drive My Car".