The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
Posts 451 to 459 of 459

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Thanks to all who've shared their opinions in this thread. It's what makes for good debate, to have observations from different experiences and professions.

Its just sad to see how musicians have always been undervalued in most
    socities.
    I'm optimistic. Billy Eilish and Olivia Rodrigo live with their parents. They each have one producer they write with. They're efficient.
    It's the new music business. There is no music business. There doesn't need to be. It's ground zero.

I like to sit around in a living room and make a racket. I don't know what I want to do right now.

I saw a very interesting video about the characteristics of generations. Baby boomers are the prophets. GenX are the repairers. Millennials are the heroes. Gen Z are the artists.

Makes sense to me. I'm 63 so a boomer but I like to think I'm a repairer. As long as it's not electronic. I suck at that.
    Just get out of the way. Leave these kids alone.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Truly. I couldn’t imagine life without experiencIng the endorphins released over that new Santana recording featuring black magic woman, or the thousand or so hits surrounding the days of my youth. Those were the days of musicality which btw are the musical bar that will never again be equaled. You just simply had to be there.
    Don’t you mean that new Peter Green record Black Magic Woman? Carlos just borrowed from Peter (though he always acknowledged the debt and of course featured Peter if the opportunity arose).

The cross-pollination especially in San Fran and Laurel Canyon was just magical in those days.

As far as selling out...

The State of Music-71zd-uhnsnl-_sx522_-jpg

User Info Menu

Democracy: Freedom of Speech and Individual Thought
    Fascism: Government/Societal Controlled Thought
    Fantasy Island: Kumbaya, Kumbaya, Kumbaya

Play live . . . Marinero

Entertainment in all forms SELLS! I dont consider it as important music if its mainly about the lyric content. In other words Dylan or Rap mainly use the music as a backdrop,not as the focal point

Dance music is mainly focused on the particular dance itself. From James Brown to Latin, Polka, Swing etc.

There are composers who use all aspects such as Duke Ellington, Jimi Hendrix, Sting, EWF, Steely Dan, etc

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Don’t you mean that new Peter Green record Black Magic Woman? Carlos just borrowed from Peter (though he always acknowledged the debt and of course featured Peter if the opportunity arose).

The cross-pollination especially in San Fran and Laurel Canyon was just magical in those days.

As far as selling out...
    Perhaps. But it took Santana to make it most popular. I rest my case.

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, S,
    Can I ask what they pay for a gig (usually 45 minutes to one hour) in your area at the retirement centers?
    Play live . . . Marinero
    Yes I am happy you interested. For the last few years my fee has been 125$ for up to an hour of music. I find most places do not want to tire out the residents so usually I am asked to do a 50 min. set on average. I split the solo playing and playing with the boom box as the audience response lets me know whats going over best. Once you are a regular say every 3 to 6 months you will know what program works best for each room.I try an do Jazz,Classical,Country,and Blues. My best response seems to be Benny Goodman Band with Charlie Christian. If everyone is toe tapping and smiling I might go 20 minutes off a Live BG CD.For Country I bring a Junior Brown or Vince Gill CD. Billie Holliday goes over sometimes. Not too long ago I talked to the owner of Evans Amps and he was very interested to get into this type of work for himself. In K.C.,M.O. the man who wrote and recorded Classical Gas, Mason Williams,maybe? Was playing at retirement centers. Since my my car and guitar and amp were not free I usually do paid gigs. But I have sometimes played for poorer groups of people maybe to improve my Karma and it was enjoyable to play the blues for people whose lives wrote it. Good Luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Retirement centers... Benny Goodman, Charlie Christian? If you were in your twenties in the 1930s, you're over a hundred years old now. Average age of residents in retirement homes is 84, they were twenty in the 1957.

Better change that set list, the older boomers are now in their seventies.

Good on you though... I've done that with a combo before, no cash, paid with smiles and tapping feet. I remember Elvis songs were a big hit.
    You are right I did not take a survey or anything I just noticed how much they liked swing music of BG and assumed it was something bringing back good memories. They keep having me back. I also do more contemporary music.

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Really?

Maybe Gracie needed a new Ferrari a girl gotta drive you know!!! Jack Cassidy sure was a Great bass player. I saw the Jefferson Starship in Nashville in the late eighties and one of my friends mildly dosed me and I had a heck of a Good Time!!! and the band was excellent!!! Gracie had her own coffee urn onstage!!! One pill makes you***

I also played in a jazz jam band here where I live and our drummer plays for the Michael Mc Donald Band and other guitar player works with Pharoh Sanders and his brother was with Dr. John and the Neville Bros. and Arron Neville for several years.Pretty good pickers!!! So you can play wherever they pay you and still play in a smokin band where they dont pay much. Oh well ... Thats Life.