Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Posts 401 to 425 of 489
  1. #401

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    The serious part:
    No .. I don't expect you to like it .. but I expect you to respect both the people that perform it and the ones that actually do like it.


    Many here shit on the musician's of today calling them clowns and what not. Lady Gaga is not a clown .. What she has done out of reach for for all but the select few that has that kind of skill and charisma ... But not here ... Here she looks like a clown as is just a sell out. Go figure?


    The semi-trolling part:
    I mean .. is jazz really that great? .. It's New Orleans whore house music mostly performed by junkies, isn't it?
    Why would you “expect” anyone to respect anyone or anything that you believe they should? People disagree on everything. That’s human nature. But so are dictatorial instincts.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #402
    Lady Gaga is extremely talented musically and vocally. But that's not what makes her a Star! Entertainment Sells it Big Time, And always has!

  4. #403

    User Info Menu

    The grumpy old man vibes on this forum are strong again.
    The woman in that madison beer clip playing the pink tele is arianna powell.
    Here she is playing her arrangement of a johnny smith song on an archtop..
    I’m old fashioned.. sounded appropriate for this thread.
    Login • Instagram

    And this is a single for her upcoming album I think.

  5. #404

    User Info Menu

    More


  6. #405

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    More


    Right ... Pop music today is perform without musicians ... or something

  7. #406
    Grumpy Old Man vibes toward younger players who don't get it! When you post something along the lines of Joe Pass, Wes Montgomery, John McLaughlin, Jaco Pastorius let us old guys know.
    Other wise I'll stay in my own yard, and you kids stay in yours,LOL !

  8. #407

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Grumpy Old Man vibes toward younger players who don't get it! When you post something along the lines of Joe Pass, Wes Montgomery, John McLaughlin, Jaco Pastorius let us old guys know.
    Other wise I'll stay in my own yard, and you kids stay in yours,LOL !


    Lol, don't hold your breath.

  9. #408

    User Info Menu

    Maybe Bruno Mars (and the Hooligans) and St Vincent are influencing younger singers to perform with bands.

  10. #409
    Maybe so, but they basically are Pop entertainers. Bruno s quite the talent, Ill give him his props! Im totally lost with St. Vincent, other than shes cute.

    Where are the Real Players and Songwriters? What Happened? Wow!

  11. #410

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Where are the Real Players and Songwriters? What Happened? Wow!
    They grew old like yourself. Once you start asking where the real . . . . (fill in something apropriate, like car, women, lawnmower, basicly everything you think was better 100 years ago) has gone you are lost. The trick of staying young is to apreciate what the young are doing. It's a state of mind. Once you loose that, you are old and will probably die soon.

  12. #411

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    They grew old like yourself. Once you start asking where the real . . . . (fill in something apropriate, like car, women, lawnmower, basicly everything you think was better 100 years ago) has gone you are lost. The trick of staying young is to apreciate what the young are doing. It's a state of mind. Once you loose that, you are old and will probably die soon.
    Hi, M,
    There is a reality to Jads' remarks: namely, things have changed. Let me give an example. If you have been reared on eating prime filet mignon, drinking Dom Perignon, and smoking Cuban cigars, you will never be happy eating a Big Mac, drinking Budweiser Beer, and smoking Camel cigarettes. Without writing a historical treatise on Jazz music, let it suffice to say that there is, IMO, a great generational difference in musical eras and this one, the Y2K, IMO, is very low. Yes, we have artists like Joey Alexander, Wynton Marsalis, Yamandu Costa, Nicholas Payton, Joey D'Fransesco, Jane Monheit, Ana Vidovic, Jocelyn Gould, etc. but pop music has deleteriously effected the genre. So, the battle will never end but we must learn that apples are never oranges . . . unless ,of course, you live in an alternate reality.
    Play live . . . Marinero

  13. #412

    User Info Menu

    Will someone please provide a video example of Bruno Mars' greatness before I choke to death! Everything I've seen is a run of the mill Pop entertainer.
    Play live . . . Marinero

  14. #413

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    They grew old like yourself. Once you start asking where the real . . . . (fill in something apropriate, like car, women, lawnmower, basicly everything you think was better 100 years ago) has gone you are lost. The trick of staying young is to apreciate what the young are doing. It's a state of mind. Once you loose that, you are old and will probably die soon.
    To be fair .. Jads has been displaying a sense of humor in this thread, so despite having been after him big time in the past ... This time around, I think he is cool .. all things considered

  15. #414

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Will someone please provide a video example of Bruno Mars' greatness before I choke to death! Everything I've seen is a run of the mill Pop entertainer.
    Play live . . . Marinero

    To me that Jads calls him quite the talent and gives him props is more than enough as a seal of approval.

  16. #415

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    To me that Jads calls him quite the talent and gives him props is more than enough as a seal of approval.
    Hi, L,
    That's like a guy bragging about his girlfriend until he brings her ,for all to see, to the Junior Prom. I gotta see it before I believe it!
    Play live . . . Marinero

  17. #416

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, L,
    That's like a guy bragging about his girlfriend until he brings her ,for all to see, to the Junior Prom. I gotta see it before I believe it!
    Play live . . . Marinero
    Well you see ... There are plenty of clips on Youtube of Jads playing spanning from the 70s where he was part of several national acts to the current day where he plays jazz and blues. He is a high level player

    Therefore his opinion is always going to out weight some random dude that no ones heard playing ever ... No matter how much he claims his ear to be attuned to greatness in music. Given your track record I expect you to shit on Bruno Mars regards of what we post and how good that actually might be. It's what you do.

    "Rønnebærene er sure, sagde ræven" .. An old proverb in my country. A Fox stands beneath a rowan berries tree. The tree is too tall for the fox to reach the berries. Disgruntled the fox states that those berries have a sour taste and are inedible anyways

  18. #417

    User Info Menu

    What's up with all the Cuban cigar references??

    I've had 'em in Germany and Jamaica. Not really better than Honduran, IMO.

  19. #418

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Well you see ... There are plenty of clips on Youtube of Jads playing spanning from the 70s where he was part of several national acts to the current day where he plays jazz and blues. He is a high level player

    Therefore his opinion is always going to out weight some random dude that no ones heard playing ever ... No matter how much he claims his ear to be attuned to greatness in music. Given your track record I expect you to shit on Bruno Mars regards of what we post and how good that actually might be. It's what you do.

    "Rønnebærene er sure, sagde ræven" .. An old proverb in my country. A Fox stands beneath a rowan berries tree. The tree is too tall for the fox to reach the berries. Disgruntled the fox states that those berries have a sour taste and are inedible anyways
    You have a point there. I actually never really liked Bruno Mars, but if Marinero dislikes him, it kinda makes Bruno Mars cool, so I might give him another chance. Funny how it works..

  20. #419

    User Info Menu

    Those horrible freedom-hating communist cigars.

  21. #420

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Will someone please provide a video example of Bruno Mars' greatness before I choke to death! Everything I've seen is a run of the mill Pop entertainer.
    Play live . . . Marinero
    He’s not bad here. The writing is not typical pop. I give he and Andersen Paak a huge thumbs up for coming up with a solid tune that even seniors find attractive.

    BTW, where’s your 3 octave skills?


  22. #421

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by waltf
    Those horrible freedom-hating communist cigars.

    Impressive. Your Profile in Courage is exemplary. I mean, oppression is always funny when it's happening to someone else - right?

  23. #422

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    What's up with all the Cuban cigar references??

    I've had 'em in Germany and Jamaica. Not really better than Honduran, IMO.
    With all due respect, I beg to differ. I've had a few Cubans, bought legally and smoked in Canada. And I've smoked a lot of cigars from Honduras*/Nicaragua/Dominican Republic/Jamaica/Canary Islands/Brazil/Pennsylvania and so forth, and though I agree there are some very fine cigars being made by the marques founded by Cuban emigres in the aforementioned countries**; Nothing , and I mean nothing, beats the tobacco from the Vuelta Abajo, and the depth of skill and knowledge among the workers. Give me a Cuban Ramon Allones Robust XXL, in Maduro, any day. Seriously. Any day. I'll be home. Please. The sooner the better.

    * I started smoking Hoya De Nicaragua when they were being made in Honduras and they were superb. I wish I still had some.

    ** My humidors are filled with them. Drop by, and help me make room. I'll make coffee. Or break out the Chivas. Or both.
    Last edited by citizenk74; 05-15-2021 at 08:08 PM.

  24. #423

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    With all due respect, I beg to differ. I've had a few Cubans, bought legally and smoked in Canada. And I've smoked a lot of cigars from Honduras*/Nicaragua/Dominican Republic/Jamaica/Canary Islands/Brazil/Pennsylvania and so forth, and though I agree there are some very fine cigars being made by the marques founded by Cuban emigres in the aforementioned countries**; Nothing , and I mean nothing, beats the tobacco from the Vuelta Abajo, and the depth of skill and knowledge among the workers. Give me a Cuban Ramon Allones Robust XXL, in Maduro, any day. Seriously. Any day. I'll be home. Please. The sooner the better.

    * I started smoking Hoya De Nicaragua when they were being made in Honduras and they were superb. I wish i still had some.

    ** My humidors are filled with them. Drop by, and help me make room. I'll make coffee. Or break out the Chivas. Or both.
    I've had some great Hoyo de Monterrey's too.

  25. #424
    I saw a Youtube clip of Bruno Mars singing I love you more today than yesterday at some radio station. Quite impressive!



  26. #425

    User Info Menu

    ""Rønnebærene er sure, sagde ræven" .. An old proverb in my country. A Fox stands beneath a rowan berries tree. The tree is too tall for the fox to reach the berries. Disgruntled the fox states that those berries have a sour taste and are inedible anyways" Lobomov

    Well, Lobo,
    I think you've stepped in the old proverbial sh-t! Here's a description of your prized fruit. Draw what ever parallels/conclusions you desire. It sounds that "smart like a fox" . . . is true!

    ": Rowan berries should not be eaten raw as they are highly astringent, diuretic and laxative due to high levels of parasorbic acid! " Perhaps a little like Bruno Mars . . .
    Play live . . . Marinero

    P.S. I've never criticized Jads' music since I'm not familiar with it nor do I know who he is . . . however, I believe we agree more about music than we disagree. As old Winston Churchill once said--"show me two people who think the same about everything . . . only one person is thinking." M