The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Posts 301 to 325 of 459

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Why?

Why are any of the arts important. Take poetry .. You don't strike me as someone that enjoys poetry, but you should .. Cause it's IMPORTANT ... Painting .. EVEN IMPORTANTER

Or even in music .. Why is the 20th popular century music you so dearly miss important when you've got the classical tradition that dates many centuries back. It's not like there is anyone here lamenting the demise of classical music, is there?

But no ... Music is not important .. It's entertainment. You've got people that are massively into comic books and then you've got people that love music.

And let's face it .. The primary function of music is to support mating .. man vs. woman .. you know what I'm talking about.

This is obviously a semi-troll ... but also quite serious. You're all talking as if 20th century popular music was life and death, but is it really?
    Where do I begin? Music, was a way of life as a young person in the 60’s and 70’s. Everything you did included music. We lived music daily. And it wasn’t just in my neighborhood where soul was dominate. Personally I listened to all of it. A hit was a hit, whether it was from Creedance Clearwater or Janis Joplin. You knew a hit when you played your radio. And we rarely were without our portable AM transistor with its funky earpiece. Why was that? Because music was a very important aspect of our lives!

To your question about Classical vs popular music. We live in the present. Not 200 years ago. Popular music was our connection to growing up as pre teens and teens. We were to connected to this music. It was a vital part of our very existence.

And that’s relevant to the discussion, for the music in the 60’s and 70’s didn’t continue until today. It evaporated. The question is why? Jads could not be more spot on with his initial question, imo.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It didn't disappear, it's still out there, maybe more than ever, you just have to search and find it.

User Info Menu

And someone on this thread mentioned Technology’s impact on today’s music. We can’t separate technology and music for technology is here and has an influence on music. My question is, would any of today’s musicians be involved if they had to resort to playing actual instruments? Don’t mind me for I’m from the tower of power and Chicago school of musicians.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    It didn't disappear, it's still out there, maybe more than ever, you just have to search and find it.
    That’s just it. We didn’t have to search back in the day, it was in your face!

User Info Menu

I keep finding music I like...

User Info Menu

Maybe it's because we Boomers blew everything up, and after you blow everything up all you have left is a wasteland.
    OR
    Maybe after Civil Rights and Vietnam there wasn't anything to be so passionate about, so artists became lethargic.
    OR
    Maybe Disco started the decay of music into something throbbing to dance to (if you want to call what most people did "dancing", lol)
    OR
    Maybe after Disco, Punk Rockers felt like rock music had to be schtickful, and hence the slide of aesthetics into the toilet continued
    OR
    Maybe Rap and Hip-Hop had too much success focusing on repetition, rhythm, and anger, and hence the slide of aesthetics into the toilet continued
    OR
    Maybe technological innovation and evolution has motivated excessive desire for instant gratification, and the absence of patience

Or maybe a little bit of all of that decadence.

Oh. And get off my lawn, lol.

User Info Menu

Last edited by Lobomov; 04-28-2021 at 03:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Good point Don.

For me, the greatest album ever created was Marvin”s What’s going on. It was a groundbreaking album in its time. But the thing is, it sounds as good and relevant today as it did 50 years ago. I don’t know any other album that does that.

User Info Menu

Wow ... Now that was self centered. All about you, your youth, you, you and your youth.

But you're right ... in my youth in the 80s we just sat in silence.
    No, I wasn’t referring to just my youth. I mentioned “we”, as in my generation from the 60’s to the 70’s. Clearly you must have understood that. It’s not like I’m speaking Greek.

I didn’t realize you were from a different generation. So what I referred to is understandably totally foreign to you. Also being from different continents our cultural experiences too were simply different. So naturally the impact of the music I refer too is foreign.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    No, I wasn’t referring to just my youth. I mentioned “we”, as in my generation from the 60’s to the 70’s. Clearly you must have understood that. It’s not like I’m speaking Greek.

I didn’t realize you were from a different generation. So what I referred to is understandably totally foreign to you. Also being from different continents our cultural experiences too were simply different. So naturally the impact of the music I refer too is foreign.

I react to how you hate all that is not of your generation. Everything past at the latest Whitney Houston is dreadful and should be abolished. You said that more than once.

User Info Menu

I react to how you hate all that is not of your generation. Everything past at the latest Whitney Houston is dreadful and should be abolished. You said that more than once.
    Lol! So allow me my opinion rather than going to war anytime I say anything? After all, everything here is only an opinion. And Jads and I at least agree, so there’s that.

User Info Menu

And someone on this thread mentioned Technology’s impact on today’s music. We can’t separate technology and music for technology is here and has an influence on music. My question is, would any of today’s musicians be involved if they had to resort to playing actual instruments? Don’t mind me for I’m from the tower of power and Chicago school of musicians.
    Do you even listen to music after '79? What you are suggesting has nothing to do with the real world.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    Do you even listen to music after '79? What you are suggesting has nothing to do with the real world.
    Through the 90’s. I’ve not been an active listener for 10 years. And our past was very real, and weren’t you too a part of that real world past? Simply because someone has an opinion that differs from you doesn’t make them invalid. Buzz off!

User Info Menu

I was born in 57'. I've lived in many places. I'm not in California anymore but I'm all about west coast culture.
    With the housing situation the way it is it's a miracle bands even exist anymore.

I like my 60's -70's boomer music. New bluegrass. I see some positive things happening in popular music right now.
    That's not all I listen to. I listen to everything.

I'm getting to be anti-corporate in my old age. All they care about is money and 'entertainment'.

User Info Menu

You know you're wrong when... you can identify your favourite songs, tunes, and ditties by a single genre, era, artist, venue, label, region, generation, or instrumentation. These classifications are usually heavily biased, political, jingoistic, egotistic, nostalgic, socially imposed or a subliminal form of sexual aberration. They are prisons, Jerry!

(I feel as if I am an inspired fool, shouting into a cyclone as I rave and ramble against Moby Dick as the water fills my mouth and the ship heaves and buckles, and buckles and heaves in a death spiral as it circles the rim of a great whirlpool. Avast!)

Try to be Eclectic. Choose your music solely on the merits of its individual aural appeal to you. Then you can enjoy Ravel, Bach, Stevie Wonder, Jimmy Smith, Eddie Peabody, Ray Brown, Arthur Brown, Django Reinhardt, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Memphis Minnie, Tuba Skinny, Toscanini, Michael Jackson or Chicago...

Be Eclectic! That's the key! Then the doors of musical magic are open to you and music becomes a spectrum between extremes. A Rainbow Of Love! Pick & Choose / Mix & Match. Musicians who know the tradition can best judge current fare with erudition. Constraint & Limitation form the frames and shutters on our tiny windows. They are but self-imposed and deny one the opportunity to appreciate, learn and play their music better.

Each of us selects our milestone by our own measure! Victims of our own demise, we dither and dather until BC & AD begin and end by whim. Does it matter what's on television when the house is burning...?!! Is the head dead yet?!! All is fake when we cannot reach consensus!

Instead of shouting "Hooray For Our Side", play what you like without apology and let others enjoy their poison without your asides. This is especially important now, as the land of undiscovered music is quickly coming to an end and we are beginning to see the bartender's face in the bottom of our glass. Select music that you like from every damn barrel in the house -regardless of it's vintage. Drink up lassies and laddies! Cure what ails ye!
    Last edited by StringNavigator; 04-28-2021 at 04:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Music began it's death spiral sometime around the end of 1965 with the advent of Rubber Soul.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rrbasic
    Music began it's death spiral sometime around the end of 1965 with the advent of Rubber Soul.
    C'mon man. That was December. Everyone knows music went down the pooper when Dylan went electric in March 1965.

User Info Menu

Good point Don.

For me, the greatest album ever created was Marvin”s What’s going on. It was a groundbreaking album in its time. But the thing is, it sounds as good and relevant today as it did 50 years ago. I don’t know any other album that does that.

Outside the US, maybe Jethro Tull's Aqualung? They didn't go out of their way to sound 'American' like a number of other bands in the UK. The same themes resonate today.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rrbasic
    Nah. Laurel Canyon, CA in 1966.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    More, please...

User Info Menu

Why do you think music isn't a big part of life today. Or the past 40 years? I teach in highschool now (well it's online NOW). kids have ear buds in all the time. In class, in the halls, outside walking with friends. Every smart phone can play music. Walkmans were ubiquitous in the 80s and 90s until the Discman replaced it followed by the zune then the iPod.

That being said. It's just music. It is the icing on the cake of life. It takes a back seat to the necessities of life. Water, food, shelter, love and security. (you can change the order of the last two). Once those are taken care of you can worry about Arts and entertainment.

User Info Menu

WTF. I wrote more but it disappeared. The monolith of popular culture pre cable television is long gone. There are now 1000s of television stations. Before cable everyone watched one of 4 stations. There was a collective (white mainstream) culture. Most things were marketed at White America.
    Kids don't listen to the radio at all anymore. They have the American dream to choose whatever they want to listen to, or watch what they want, when they want.
    From what I gather 2bop only listened to hits on the radio. To me that is sad and self limiting. I stopped actively listening to the radio in the 4th grade when a friend made me a mixed tape. (His dad was a DJ and had all sorts of neat gear). That opened my ears and have since then realized the radio sucks. There is is much more out there then what is on the radio. Much of the soul that made it to the radio had to be palatable to a white cross over audience. Music today doesn't need to cross over. Niche markets are the norm. And the market is global. Whatever you want to play or write or create, you will find an audience somewhere in the world.

That is partly why I'm on the board. Jazz hasn't been mainstream since the 50s.

User Info Menu

I think Jugz said something about imagine the world without music. I wish I could go to a campsite or cottage without having to listen to other people's shity music. Or assholes in stopid cars or motorcycles driving by my house blasting their audio taste.
    Imagine a film without sound. Oooook silent films. Though they always had lived musicians accompanying them. But early sound films didn't have underscoring. Some plays don't. Somehow I managed to connect to the actors.

It's just music. We aren't saving lives.
    Last edited by Littlemark; 04-28-2021 at 06:22 PM.

User Info Menu

I was also born in '57. Maybe my favorite songwriting tune, from 1985. Also might be my favorite album. I like what he continued to do up to today. But this song, everything just fits together, the lyrics, the music, the mood. Back to Olivia and Bruno, they're just not like this, or so says this boomer.

User Info Menu

I just remember what else got deleted. Lobo said people weren't sad with the demise of classical music. But actually there is a history of music critics not liking the latest. Most critics are stodgy old white guys. Very conservative. Tradition!!

Critics complained about how loud and brash Beethoven was. He's going mad! Why would he include a children's melody in his last symphony? Madness!!

What about at the premier of the rite of Spring, "bassoons can't play that high!!"

The old guard has never had the habit of embracing the vanguard.

But I think Lobo was trying to say, you can still listen to classical music. Just as you can still listen to 70s music.

I'll bet kids today think your taste in music is stuffy.