The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Posts 251 to 275 of 459

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Littlemark
    As much as I appreciate their musicianship...

Why isn't there a puking emoji on the site? That's the real question.
    Okay. Let’s do this. Who was it in the 60’s or 70’s that you feel produced fabulous music, and created hits? You’ve yet to state who you’re for, only who you’re against. I feel The Stylistics defined soul, in some sense, between 1970 and 1975. In fact, Gamble and Huff’s arrangement here has as much jazz in it as any pop record that I’ve heard.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A jazz pianist breaks down the pop hit “leave the door open.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    A jazz pianist breaks down the pop hit “leave the door open.”

Bruno Mars is a dinosaur. Olivia Rodrigo is changing the course of popular culture.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Bruno Mars is a dinosaur. Olivia Rodrigo is changing the course of popular culture.
    that’s hilarious. Dino’s don’t produce hits. And is your girl a musician or simply a singer?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

that’s hilarious. Dino’s don’t produce hits. And is your girl a musician or simply a singer?
    Compare and contrast;

User Info Menu

Ima leave the door open too. To Las Vegas. The more Californians that move here the better.
    We'll sort shit out later.

User Info Menu

Okay. Let’s do this. Who was it in the 60’s or 70’s that you feel produced fabulous music, and created hits? You’ve yet to state who you’re for, only who you’re against. I feel The Stylistics defined soul, in some sense, between 1970 and 1975. In fact, Gamble and Huff’s arrangement here has as much jazz in it as any pop record that I’ve heard.

Interesting question. I have stated earlier that I prefer pre-1960 timbres. My area of interests is mostly the 30s to 50s. I did mention the few artists from the billboard charts that I would listen to. I have also already mentioned a number of bands that I enjoy: Black Flag, The Bad Brains, Barrington Levy and I posted that killer James Brown chord progression Bb7.

I have also stated that most of what I enjoy has not been particularly popular or mainstream.

As I always try and answer a direct question:
    In the 60s from the US the Sonics, the Stooges, Eddie and the Showmen, Screamin Jay Hawkins, Nina Simone, James Brown. All killer.
    From Jamaica, the Skatalites, the Wailers, Desmond Dekker, Derrick Morgan, Toots and the Maytals.
    Small sample from that era.

The 70s is much more difficult for me to list. A number of the above artists continued into the 70s, but most of their best stuff was in the 60s. My interest in this decade shifts to England mostly. The first record I ever bought with my own money was "never mind the bullocks". "The Clash" and "London Calling" are both excellent, though I do think the sax playing on "London Calling" is pretty cheesy. 70s Trojan records are pretty great and Bob Marley's "Exodus" is a pretty important and impactful album. In the US, I think the Ramones first 4 albums are fantastic. And I could listen to Black Flag's first 7 inch "nervous breakdown" any time.

Soul music is not a genre that I have ever gotten deep into. But I do think it was more appealing in the 60s. To me.

But again. Not really sure why you want to know what I like. I try and be objective when describing the elements of music. (Though I am human) None of the music I listed above is better than anything else. It's just a sampling of pop music that appeals to me.

User Info Menu

Oh how I did I forget Ray Charles? There are lots of other artists I like.

But I am fairly picky. There is lots more shit music than good music. I'd rather be picky.

User Info Menu

Compare and contrast;

The playing is mildly more interesting in leave the door open. An obvious 70s influence. The song writing feels more personal in deja vu.

Both have a similar striped down drum thing going. Not much hi hat in either.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Littlemark
    The playing is mildly more interesting in leave the door open. An obvious 70s influence. The song writing feels more personal in deja vu.

Both have a similar striped down drum thing going. Not much hi hat in either.
    The drums in Deja vu might be a sample from a song by U2. Things get progressively more distorted as the song goes on. She wrote the song but maybe not the theme for the video.
    She's destroying something. A character that represents something.
    It's not 'artsy'.
    Both videos display affluence. Not everyone can afford a car like in Deja vu or a studio like in Leave the Door Open. Bruno Mars can be funny at times. There's nothing intentionally humorous in Deja vu.
    In LTDO when he sings 'I ain't playing no game' it sounds like cut/copy/paste. That's a minor production thing. It's definitely a retro song.
    I wonder if the movie Mulholland Drive was an influence in Deja vu.

Sorry, but I was a film major for a while.

User Info Menu

"The song writing feels more personal in deja vu."

A haiku...

Two major sevens
    Alternate roots one and four:
    Lame, not song writing.

User Info Menu

I can't un-see the videos. Deja vu screams California and has a story. LTDO is a different kind of video. There's one setting.

User Info Menu

I heard the Stylistics a lot. Loved their stuff but didn't know anything about them. I thought they were from the east coast or mid-west. A lot of the 70's was high energy or reflective. I started playing guitar around the time Soul Train came on the air.

User Info Menu

'I had a traditional musical education, in a provincial English cathedral town. I was sent off to an ancient piano teacher with the requisite halitosis, who lashed with a ruler at my knuckles as if they were wasps; I added the trumpet a few years later, and had lessons with a younger, cheerier man, who told me that the best way to make the instrument “sound” was to imagine spitting paper pellets down the mouthpiece at the school bully. I sang daily in the cathedral choir, an excellent grounding in sight-reading and performance.

But what I really wanted to do, as a little boy, was play the drums, and, of those different ways of making music, only playing the drums still makes me feel like a little boy. A friend’s older brother had a drum kit, and as a twelve-year-old I gawped at the spangled shells of wood and skin, and plotted how I might get to hit them, and make a lot of noise. It wouldn’t be easy. My parents had no time for “all that thumping about,” and the prim world of ecclesiastical and classical music, which meant so much to me, detested rock. But I waited until the drums’ owner was off at school, and sneaked into the attic where they gleamed, fabulously inert, and over the next few years I taught myself how to play them.'

The Fun Stuff: My life as Keith Moon
    By James Wood
    November 21, 2010

User Info Menu

Bruno Mars is a bit of a pastiche artist, but for me he gets away with it. Ah, go on then.

User Info Menu

He has a band, which sets him apart from most of his peers.

User Info Menu

Just to brighten Jads day! I was looking at reviews of keyboard controllers when I came across this little gem ----

User Info Menu

From Slim Harpo to Tuba Skinny... it's all there, just reach out and pluck it.
    Classical, Jazz, Rock... Music is so vast... hardly any reason left to fight about it.

But, today, not even Big Band Fans can agree. Music Tribes replaced by individuals. There's as many different styles of music as there are listeners.

You know, just seven notes... after awhile, you run out of combinations.
    Now, it's all percussive Mix & Match to avoid copyright infringement. Art becomes business. Yes, the music biz has become a hollywood side-show. They bought it and can't run things any other way.

Musician used to be a profession. And people used to dance to it. Saturday Night was the thing. Until recordings became so good that live music was no longer required. Stereo killed the musical star. Chauffeurs, butlers, maids, chimney-sweeps, washroom attendants, musicians... not good career choices.

For me it's just a hobby. AMA... Amateur Musicians Annonymous.
    Why, I can play along with the best musicians of all time! At the click of a mouse! No more gear loading and set-ups for me, catering to drunks or stupid special requests. All for chump change. Living in a hot bus full of body odour following dusty roads and crashing in fleabag rooms. Losing your family one day at a time, wasting the day away waiting to play. Having to play matinees while you're half-asleep. After the first week, it only gets glamorous if you become a drunk. Oh, you can mortgage your house and make a recording, but compared to the past, it's a venture in lowered expectation.

Music has become a Museum. Take a guided tour, play a bit and relax. There's finer ways to make a living if you get some education than to work as a musician. Oh, you say, what about George Benson... Diana Krall...? Good Luck!

There in lies my issue exactly, it's all in the PAST! If we dont actually pay for any service it either becomes amateur or obsolete. People need to realize music is as important as any other thing in life.
    And when the Pop Machine is for free, It's abused and taken for granted!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    People need to realize music is as important as any other thing in life.
    Why?

Why are any of the arts important. Take poetry .. You don't strike me as someone that enjoys poetry, but you should .. Cause it's IMPORTANT ... Painting .. EVEN IMPORTANTER

Or even in music .. Why is the 20th popular century music you so dearly miss important when you've got the classical tradition that dates many centuries back. It's not like there is anyone here lamenting the demise of classical music, is there?

But no ... Music is not important .. It's entertainment. You've got people that are massively into comic books and then you've got people that love music.

And let's face it .. The primary function of music is to support mating .. man vs. woman .. you know what I'm talking about.

This is obviously a semi-troll ... but also quite serious. You're all talking as if 20th century popular music was life and death, but is it really?

User Info Menu

I heard the Stylistics a lot. Loved their stuff but didn't know anything about them. I thought they were from the east coast or mid-west. A lot of the 70's was high energy or reflective. I started playing guitar around the time Soul Train came on the air.
    They recorded on Avco records at Sigma Sound studios, home of Gamble and Huff, the Stylistics were entirely produced by the great Thom Bell who along with the great songwriter Linda Creed created countless hits. Thom Bell would later produce a little known group from Motown called the Spinners. Gamble and Huff also produced the Ojays, Blue Magic, the Delfonics produced by Thom Bell, Billy Paul, MFSB aka Gamble and Huff’s orchestra, the Tramps, Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, The Three Degrees, Intruders, Dexter Wanzel, Lou Rawls groundbreaking Grammy album All Things In Time, Teddy Pendergrass, Phyllis Hyman, Patti Labelle, and many more.

User Info Menu

Compare and contrast;

I think your comparison here perfectly illustrates my point. Olivia’s song is not a “hit” to my ear. No doubt it’s a video production aimed at today’s record buyers. It’s typical of songs by today’s recording artists.

Silk Sonic sings a well written song, produced by Bootsy Collins aka the bassist of James Browns second band, which features a nod to early 70’s soul. If you analyze the song itself it’s rather sophisticated with elements of jazz in its writing. In short the two songs have nothing in common.

If music isn't important why does it sell so well? It's like water or air, people just take it for granted because they don't notice till it's actually gone!

Problem is the Bean Counters took over the entire business and cut out the actual talent for greed! Spotify, YouTube, free downloads,etc.

My examples would be try watching any movie without a music soundtrack, and see how that works. Next don't turn on any music for a week. See how that works for you as well.
    I'm not trying to troll anyone, just pointing out the sky actually has fallen, and people are too ignorant to notice. I for one hate Disneyland manufactured crap,and much prefer the Real Deal!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    If music isn't important why does it sell so well? It's like water or air, people just take it for granted because they don't notice till it's actually gone!

Problem is the Bean Counters took over the entire business and cut out the actual talent for greed! Spotify, YouTube, free downloads,etc.

My examples would be try watching any movie without a music soundtrack, and see how that works. Next don't turn on any music for a week. See how that works for you as well.
    I'm not trying to troll anyone, just pointing out the sky actually has fallen, and people are too ignorant to notice. I for one hate Disneyland manufactured crap,and much prefer the Real Deal!
    Exactly. Imagine Motown without the Funk Bros or Philadelphia Intl Records without their house orchestra MFSB. Each is an integral part of the music.