The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 47 of 47

User Info Menu

Having just listened repeatedly to quite a few tunes of theirs in the last couple weeks, I'd say any song by New Grass Revival is as good as any other tune. Top playing, strong song craft, and impeccable taste--no filler. World class.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    The Ramones' self-titled debut.

Yes ... Clocking in under 30 minutes it still contained 14 tunes. Maybe something others could learn from?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Chick Corea comes to mind...

That is up for debate ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Yes ... Clocking in under 30 minutes it still contained 14 tunes. Maybe something others could learn from?
    A lot of punk songs were short. No guitar solos! No intros either, just 1-2-3-4 BOOM.

The Minutemen's "Double Nickels on the Dime" (a double album) had 45 songs on it, many under 2 minutes long (a few under a minute). The longest song was under 3 minutes.

User Info Menu

If we talk about jazz...yes!

User Info Menu

Elvis Costello's album Get Happy has 20 songs, average about 2 minutes. It's a very good album, not too much filler there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    That is up for debate ...

I don't think I have heard that album...now you've got me intrigued!

Well let's just say he bats over .900...gets a hit most at bats!

User Info Menu

Elvis Costello's album Get Happy has 20 songs, average about 2 minutes. It's a very good album, not too much filler there.
    I played that album a lot. Probably my last favorite Costello album. (Well "Trust", but I didn't listen to it as much.) I used to know every word to every song on that album. (At least, what I thought was every word---when I got the Costello songbook I realized I had misheard some things.)

This guitar part reminds me of Booker T & the MGs "Time Is Tight."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I played that album a lot. Probably my last favorite Costello album. (Well "Trust", but I didn't listen to it as much.) I used to know every word to every song on that album. (At least, what I thought was every word---when I got the Costello songbook I realized I had misheard some things.)

This guitar part reminds me of Booker T & the MGs "Time Is Tight."

No guest artists—guess that was Elvis playing the old Jazzmaster. He is an underrated guitarist. He is one of those people who is a keen observer of certain genres and a great mimic. He obviously obsesses about using the guitar sound to create an atmosphere for the songs.

That was kind of a transitional album—a throwback style-wise—before he moved into bigger concepts and production.

My all-time favorite Elvis album is Armed Forces—not a dud on that one!—but recently I have been relistening to Trust and appreciating the craftsmanship that went into it. There are some real gems there, and arguably one of the lushest sounds on any of his records.

User Info Menu

Different shades of blue...

Do you like every song on an artist's CD or album?-midnight_blue-jpg

Do you like every song on an artist's CD or album?-almostblue-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Often, the songs that I click with, I really, really like - but the others may leave me cold. Are you the same way or do you feel every song is at least great, from you favorite artists.
    I cannot think of any album that is 100% for me. The best are about 90%. Most are 50% or less.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    I cannot think of any album that is 100% for me. The best are about 90%. Most are 50% or less.
    I don't even listen to all my own stuff (most of which has been lost, and what little remains is either ahead or behind its time).

User Info Menu

This album worked 100% for me.
    This thread happened on right time to plug a friends brand new album.
    Akordionimeditatsioonid / Accordion Meditations - Album by Kulno Malva | Spotify

Yeah. If its from a friend, you'll like it more

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    I don't even listen to all my own stuff (most of which has been lost, and what little remains is either ahead or behind its time).
    Are the remnants online?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Are the remnants online?
    Not yet. I'm working on it. Spoiler alert... Not jazz.

User Info Menu

Yes. Freddie Hubbard’s First Light. Although the entire album was only 5 songs. But each song was well done.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Yes. Freddie Hubbard’s First Light. Although the entire album was only 5 songs. But each song was well done.

Those were some great CTI records in those days--Hubbard, Joe Henderson, Stanley Turrentine, George Benson...

Another great one is the CTI Allstars at the Hollywood Bowl. All those cats were on it and many more.

User Info Menu

Good subject. I think most albums I have contain at least a few duds. In some cases I avoid playing certain albums because of the lame (IMO) numbers. Jazz albums seem very consistent keeping the theme or vibe from start to finish. One thing that I don’t like are when they throw 3 alternative takes on one disc. Seems like lazy filler to me.

I have cd’s playing all day long at my business for customers to hear. Another thing I don’t like much is when there is a live concert cd and after the song stops they boost the applause to a level higher than the actual music. I have many of those and they have been blacklisted from my playlist

User Info Menu

Those were some great CTI records in those days--Hubbard, Joe Henderson, Stanley Turrentine, George Benson...

Another great one is the CTI Allstars at the Hollywood Bowl. All those cats were on it and many more.
    Those were the days man! I wore this album out while on ship soon after it came out. And yes, the US Navy had a turntable on board!

User Info Menu

Sort of on the flip side...back in the 90’s we heard that song I Get Knocked Down by Tubthumping. In those days sometimes I would buy a CD based on a single song I heard on the radio or that someone had raved about. 95% of the time I made a good choice.

Well this was in the other 5%. That was the ONLY listenable song on the album. I think it was kind of a militant, leftist, British queer thing they had going on, but I’m not sure. I don’t think I listened to the CD more than once. I might still have it though in the archives...

User Info Menu

If we’re talking about « non-jazz albums » :

Pet Sounds – The Beach Boys
    Smile – The Beach Boys
    Moondog – Moondog
    Moondog 2 - Moondog
    Grace – Jeff Buckley
    In my Room – Jacob Collier
    Purple Rain – Prince
    Richard D. James – Aphex Twin
    VOCAbuLaries – Bobby McFerrin
    Histoire de Melody Nelson – Serge Gainsbourg
    Rubber Soul – The Beatles
    13 – Blur
    Odessey and Oracle – The Zombies
    Cheio de Dedos – Guinga

User Info Menu

If we're talking about Jazz Albums, my list runs to every one of them I've ever owned. Seems like if you dig the way a guy plays it doesn't matter much what tune he's playing. And sometimes it can be enlightening to hear a great player working a silly pop song.

I mean, I'm not a huge fan of Surrey with the Fringe on Top as a song, but I enjoy listening to Wes playing around with it.