The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Perhaps amps that have loud hiss (such as JC 120) improve your hearing precision, maybe even your general hearing health

Good noise, bad noise: White noise improves hearing -- ScienceDaily

Effects of White Noise on Hearing | Boots Hearingcare

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Fascinating. I wonder if this could help with my tinnitus. It is very loud and extremely annoying. Music is the only respite as of now.

User Info Menu

It can be salvation if you live in a noisy city. From personal experience it may help with mild tinnitus, meaning there's no silence so it helps you in being unaware of it.

I've used it systematically for a few months, years back. I remember it cause it was one of my busiest winters. Was playing at a 3 hour musical, 5 days a week/double shows on weekends, was in 4 gigging bands so often gigs before or after the musical, between private lessons and conservatories I had 45 students at the time (although some were 20 minute kids lessons), and jogging maybe 5-7 miles a day.. Plus practicing, somehow was managing it.. Then they start breaking down the house next to mine and start drilling for a new building..

So I used a thunderstorm, which, along with some mild earplugs, would somehow mask the huge drill noise, and I could sleep mornings. It was that or moving out.. (or dying maybe haha )

But nothing compares to the many long term beneficial results of silence in my opinion, especially for a musician. You wouldn't want added prolonged exposure to white noise decibels (if you check levels and recommended exposure, they are pretty high if you want to mask anything in a city). And if someone is after relaxing, meditating, etc, this is generally best achieved without external aid..

User Info Menu

Alter was this before energy drinks? I tried one once not very tasty and it practically gave me a nervous breakdown instead of energy lol So what brand of coffee was that ?

User Info Menu

I don't know if this helps (pushed for time and haven't read thread properly), but...

or to taste
    +

User Info Menu

I perceived this thread as "tongue in cheek" but I once owned a Silvertone 6-10" speaker amplifier that hissed like a feral cat. I could never minimize its effect. Sadly/fortunately, it was "stolen" by a former band member who said it burned in a fire at his house. I learned the real truth, many years later, from his divorced wife. I often think of the great philosophical words of Boris Badenov: "Never underestimate the power of a snook."
    Play live . . . Marinero

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Sadly/fortunately, it was "stolen" by a former band member who said it burned in a fire at his house.
    That's lazy. He didn't even put any effort into the lie.

User Info Menu

I recently found that Ginger Baker / Charlie Haden / Bill Frisell live vid, and aside from the music which was good, it also noted Charlie Haden's tinnitus condition which forces him to set up a good ways away from GB.....I'd never heard that about CH at all and it sounds like a rough condition for someone whose playing I've always liked....
    ......Then I wondered why he couldn't just wear headphones, or even noise canceling ones, or ear buds of some kind........Then I got back to that explanation here on JGO a while ago about noise canceling headphones in cars and why they work......
    .......Of course I didn't understand the explanation then and still don't understand it......And I've got to believe if something worked, CH would've surely tried it by now......
    .......I guess the skeptic in me senses there's got to be BS here somewhere- - if there's science / math involved in nc in cars and airplanes, with supposedly no ear damage, why doesn't a form of it work on stage ?

Scratching my head...... : )......

User Info Menu

Have more time now....

I'm actually not completely surprised that Alter was able to sleep through the drilling noise. If your white noise emits similar frequencies, it will kind of cancel it out. I think that's the key. For really serious cases, use earplugs + white noise with appropriate frequencies - it works.

Definitely worth a try in the case of tinnitus, I'd say (obviously sans earplugs!)

SleepPhones(-type) headphones feature flat speakers inside a headband and I can sleep comfortably with them on.

For really advanced meditators, I believe one can isolate and detach from offending noise.
    Last edited by Peter C; 03-30-2021 at 04:59 PM.

User Info Menu

I just use a box fan. I'm a simple man.

User Info Menu

A box fan ain't gonna help with a disco bar booming out mega lows at 2 a.m.

This might, but with 'phones:

User Info Menu

Well, I also wouldn't choose to live above a bar. That's on you.