The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 117

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Yes! And also important to note, Impressionists by and large never used black...as painters of light, black was the absence of all light...and that's surprisingly uncommon if you really look around you. True black is a rarity in nature.
    Aaah! But take a ride ,or better yet, rent a canoe or kayak down the Allegheny River between Tidioute and Tionesta on an autumn afternoon after a rain and glory in the apparent velvety blacks of the conifers in the background framed by the golden leaves of the foreground Quaking Aspens. It is Maya, and it is wondrous.
    Last edited by citizenk74; 04-07-2021 at 04:52 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Aaah! But take a ride down the Allegheny River between Tidioute and Tionesta on an autumn afternoon after a rain and glory in the apparent velvety blacks of the conifers in the background framed by the golden leaves of the foreground Quaking Aspens. It is Maya, and it is wondrous.
    Purely for the purpose of discussion, and based on the principles of Impressionist painters, all surfaces (even black) reflect back (some) color unless there is no light to reflect. I did read recently about a black pigment that reflects NO light.

Vantablack - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

" but to say that context is irrelevant is, in my opinion, not correct." zigzag

Hi, Z,
    I didn't say that it is irrelevant but rather that " . . .
    even without this historical context/title, the painting is a masterpiece of human emotion . . . " which means irrespective of its religious/historical narrative, it still can stand alone as a great work of Art. The painting, therefore, could be on one hand a profound depiction of a biblical narrative but this historicity is not necessary for the painting's greatness: superior technique, style, and the implied psychological narrative. Thanks for the reply. I hope this clarifies my position.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

A timely intervention by Richard Williams: the story of Bob Crewe, songwriter and artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Many years ago I saw some of the ‘big-name’ impressionist paintings in the Musee D’Orsay in Paris. I was quite surprised that you could go right up to them, there appeared to be no security or barrier in front of them (I don’t know if it’s still like that).

The impressionist paintings were all in the top gallery where there is some natural light through glass panels in the roof. What struck me was how the paintings seemed to really glow with light, it looked like they were lit from behind or something. The colours really leapt out, they looked as if they had only just been painted.

No reproduction I have seen gets anywhere near capturing the effect of seeing them ‘in the flesh’.
    yes it was pretty much the same a few years ago. Plus l'Orengerie reopened, so you can see Water Lillies in breathtaking size, it is literally the IMAX of Monet.

However I do not think it was the light, much more our psyche. To experience something genuine touch close is exciting, I tend to believe because the intensity of feelings. The same happened to me in Mozart birthhouse, and Bach's grave, despite the fact both was badly lit :-)

Regarding jazz and impressionsm, jazz artists using Ravel or Debussy proves nothing. Actually Chick Corea recorded Mozart piano concertos, Keith Jarrett also recorded Bach. Jarrett jazz improvizations are more close to Chopin (romnticism) then any impressionist composer.

On the artistic side, the concept of jazz are more reminds me to expressionism than impressionism. Miles, Sco, Bill Frisell, Corea, Mehldau all fit into this category, not by musical formal way, but their approach of art.

User Info Menu

Aaah! But take a ride ,or better yet, rent a canoe or kayak down the Allegheny River between Tidioute and Tionesta on an autumn afternoon after a rain and glory in the apparent velvety blacks of the conifers in the background framed by the golden leaves of the foreground Quaking Aspens. It is Maya, and it is wondrous.

Sounds spectacular!

But I'd argue none of those "blacks" are actually "black."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    " but to say that context is irrelevant is, in my opinion, not correct." zigzag

Hi, Z,
    I didn't say that it is irrelevant but rather that " . . .
    even without this historical context/title, the painting is a masterpiece of human emotion . . . " which means irrespective of its religious/historical narrative, it still can stand alone as a great work of Art. The painting, therefore, could be on one hand a profound depiction of a biblical narrative but this historicity is not necessary for the painting's greatness: superior technique, style, and the implied psychological narrative. Thanks for the reply. I hope this clarifies my position.
    Play live . . . Marinero
    I would agree 100% with you and apologize for my misinterpretation. In fact, I would suggest that most people do not get the historical, mythological, symbolic, or biblical allusions in most art, especially Renaissance art. What we mostly do, and should, get is whether or not (or how) the imagery resinates in us at a deeper, visceral level. It is this idea that legitimizes abstract (expressionist) art... and Jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    the Met is stunning. Its art collection matched only by the grandeur of what must be the greatest gift shop in the Western Hemisphere.

I like looking at paintings. I don’t always understand what I’m looking at and I quite enjoy that. Actually it’s becoming one of things I enjoy most.

Impressionism is the first move into abstraction of course (alright maybe Turner gets some points.) it’s hard to believe today that so many of those familiar paintings were regarded as frightful modern daubings.

Where people out the legit art/modern crap line varies. Generally I find such discussions uninteresting anyway, and most people seem imagine their aesthetic preferences to be objective. I have my own line... but the thing is I like paintings. Installations not so much.

but if you look in the right way you might be able to see how strange some familiar art is.
    The Met wins on quantity, but MoMa has Starry Night and Water Lilies. The Met's scale can be overwhelming and cause one to blow through and see nothing in an attempt to see as much as you can. I've been to the Met on average I'd guess a couple of times a year for almost my entire life, and I haven't seen anywhere near everything there, but MoMa is basically digestible in a day. I grew up amid a lot of modern and abstract art and I guess just as a matter of familiarity it seems "normal" . Somewhere along the line it hit me that no art is truly realist, not even photography. There's no way to avoid the artist imposing some sense of him/herself, narration, abstraction, and commentary, and no way to avoid you imposing your own interpretation. Ceci n'est pas une pipe, yada yada.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Sounds spectacular!

But I'd argue none of those "blacks" are actually "black."
    Agreed. In normal light, and isolation, they are grays and browns and very dark greens and on and on. But wet, competing with the glowing golds of the Aspens and Hard Maples and the Scarlets of the Soft (or Red) Maples and the Sumacs, they sure do look black. It's like a huge diorama. Your literal point of view makes all the difference. I've said it many times - if Impressionism (and Pointillism) had not emerged first in Southern France, it would have done so eventually in Northwest Pennsylvania. In the autumn the leaves are spectacular in the full sun. And yet, after a rain, while the skies are yet gray, the wet leaves seem to have an inner glow that is more subtle, but equally compelling in contrast to the neutral sky and the damp, moss-draped trunks of the trees. Perception and context are inseparable, in my experience.

User Info Menu

I've said it many times - if Impressionism (and Pointillism) had not emerged first in Southern France, it would have done so eventually in Northwest Pennsylvania.
    hah! love that!! ^

(and warhol came from pittsburgh!)

cheers

ps- and just to tie the room together..warhols kenny b covers

User Info Menu

OK folks - thread derailment time. While I appreciate thoroughly the musings of modern painting, nature and jazz - swing, bebop, modal, avant garde etc., perhaps we can discuss the relationship of architecture and music, specifically Jazz. I guess it too easy to wrap ourselves around the axle as guitarists to determine how best to define jazz within fine art analogs.

Goethe quote: "Music is liquid architecture: architecture is frozen music".

A. Quincy Jones said "If architecture is frozen music, then music must be liquid architecture".

Lots of ink has been spilt over Goethe's remark - any thoughts?

Patrick

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickB
    OK folks - thread derailment time. While I appreciate thoroughly the musings of modern painting, nature and jazz - swing, bebop, modal, avant garde etc., perhaps we can discuss the relationship of architecture and music, specifically Jazz. I guess it too easy to wrap ourselves around the axle as guitarists to determine how best to define jazz within fine art analogs.

A. Quincy Jones said "If architecture is frozen music, then music must be liquid architecture".

Patrick
    I thought writing about music was like dancing about archtiecture?

Joking aside...particularly for jazz musicians who view a tune as a "framework," there's a whole lotta architecture parallels.

User Info Menu

Some of my solos contravene building regulations, I’m fairly certain of that.

User Info Menu

Vantablack

Impressionism and Jazz-1280px-vantablack_01-jpg

User Info Menu

In film school we got into the history of impressionism. It started some time after the first photographs. Artists were 'freed' from the still image.

User Info Menu

if jazz goes back 100, 120 years or so I would think it was always impressionist music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    The Met wins on quantity, but MoMa has Starry Night and Water Lilies. The Met's scale can be overwhelming and cause one to blow through and see nothing in an attempt to see as much as you can. I've been to the Met on average I'd guess a couple of times a year for almost my entire life, and I haven't seen anywhere near everything there, but MoMa is basically digestible in a day. I grew up amid a lot of modern and abstract art and I guess just as a matter of familiarity it seems "normal" . Somewhere along the line it hit me that no art is truly realist, not even photography. There's no way to avoid the artist imposing some sense of him/herself, narration, abstraction, and commentary, and no way to avoid you imposing your own interpretation. Ceci n'est pas une pipe, yada yada.

John
    Wait- on reflection I think I was referring to the MoMA gift shop as the high point of Western civilisation. You also have all the Van Goghs upstairs.

Fair play. Good museum. Plays ALL the hits. All killer, no filler.

But you know they are wonderful paintings?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickB

Patrick
    The problem is I know even less about architecture than I do about other things.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Vantablack

Impressionism and Jazz-1280px-vantablack_01-jpg
    How much more black could this be? And the answer is...none...none more black.

User Info Menu

Impressionism is an unfortunate term in regards to Debussy as he disliked the label and was not inspired, to my knowledge, by any of the impressionist painters.

Especially now, that impressionism in Art is the domain of little old ladies and hacks like Thomas Kincade, so to set the expectation that Debussy is somehow 'musical Monet' is a real disservice
    Last edited by BWV; 04-08-2021 at 05:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BWV
    Impressionism is an unfortunate term in regards to Debussy as he disliked the label and was not inspired, to my knowledge, by any of the impressionist painters.

Especially now, that impressionism in Art is the domain of little old ladies and hacks like Thomas Kincade, so to set the expectation that Debussy is somehow 'musical Monet' is a real disservice

Hi, B,
    My personal opinion is that the French never had any first-rate composers. Good workmen/craftsmen . . . but none were profound ,IMO, as we see with the Germans and Italians. For example, with Debussy, his "Claire de Lune" has always been mentioned as one of his best and certainly most played compositions but to compare CDL to say one of Chopin's "Nocturnes" or the Adagio movement of Beethoven's "Symphony Pathetique" is certainly comparing the proverbial apples with oranges. It is charming, well-constructed, and pleasant to the ear but there's no trembles of the terra firma after a performance. And, if we go to the works of Puccini, Paganini, and Giuliani, the slant gets greater away from the French. This, however, was not the case with French visual artists as Gauguin, Toulouse-Lautrec, the portraits of Pissarro and Degas, who brought us some of the greatest Art of the ages. So, for me, Debussy doesn't move the water and musical "Impressionism", for me, is music without structure.
    So, may I add a disclaimer to those whose feathers might potentially be ruffled: these are MY opinions after a lifetime of study in Music, Art, and Literature. You do not have to agree. But, I would be interested in what YOU think and I promise, I've never put anyone on an "ignore" list in my life for disagreeing with me . . . it's like playing stick ball in the street and the guy who owns the ball gets mad and takes his ball home to end the game. You city guys will get that analogy.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Hi, B,
    My personal opinion is that the French never had any first-rate composers. Good workmen/craftsmen . . . but none were profound ,IMO, as we see with the Germans and Italians. For example, with Debussy, his "Claire de Lune" has always been mentioned as one of his best and certainly most played compositions but to compare CDL to say one of Chopin's "Nocturnes" or the Adagio movement of Beethoven's "Symphony Pathetique" is certainly comparing the proverbial apples with oranges. It is charming, well-constructed, and pleasant to the ear but there's no trembles of the terra firma after a performance. And, if we go to the works of Puccini, Paganini, and Giuliani, the slant gets greater away from the French. This, however, was not the case with French visual artists as Gauguin, Toulouse-Lautrec, the portraits of Pissarro and Degas, who brought us some of the greatest Art of the ages. So, for me, Debussy doesn't move the water and musical "Impressionism", for me, is music without structure.
    So, may I add a disclaimer to those whose feathers might potentially be ruffled: these are MY opinions after a lifetime of study in Music, Art, and Literature. You do not have to agree. But, I would be interested in what YOU think and I promise, I've never put anyone on an "ignore" list in my life for disagreeing with me . . . it's like playing stick ball in the street and the guy who owns the ball gets mad and takes his ball home to end the game. You city guys will get that analogy.
    Play live . . . Marinero
    With all due respect, that is exactly what it is... an opinion.

“Claire de Lune” Is a light piece, comparable to, say,“Für Elise”, although more adventurous with harmony and rhythm. Debussy is best known for those sorts of pieces, which can lead to the idea that his music isn’t “serious”. But the large orchestral pieces, the late Cello and Violin sonatas, and theater music such as St. Sébastien are on a different level.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cmajor9
    With all due respect, that is exactly what it is... an opinion.

“Claire de Lune” Is a light piece, comparable to, say,“Für Elise”, although more adventurous with harmony and rhythm. Debussy is best known for those sorts of pieces, which can lead to the idea that his music isn’t “serious”. But the large orchestral pieces, the late Cello and Violin sonatas, and theater music such as St. Sébastien are on a different level.
    Hi, C,
    Thanks for the honest reply. Can you provide one video of what you believe is an example of Debussy's best music? I'd like to give it an serious listen.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Hi, C,
    Thanks for the honest reply. Can you provide one video of what you believe is an example of Debussy's best music? I'd like to give it an serious listen.
    Play live . . . Marinero
    A couple here:

User Info Menu

Hi, B,
    My personal opinion is that the French never had any first-rate composers
    aside from Debussy, Messiaen, Boulez, Dutilleaux, Murail, Grisey, Radulescu, just to pick a few from the 20th century?