The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 117

User Info Menu

In response to the last post, it seems self-defeating to, on the one hand, crave interaction yet, on the other, to go out of one's way to make it as unpleasant and "complicated" as possible. Try a different approach? Just a suggestion.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

And Ravel was influenced by jazz also. Here’s some discussion.

Finding Jazz in Maurice Ravel's Piano Concerto | WRTI

User Info Menu

Making a Martini with vodka is bad enough, but a blue-cheese olive is insufferable. In any case, what is a double Martini? Is it served in a vase?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Making a Martini with vodka is bad enough, but a blue-cheese olive is insufferable. In any case, what is a double Martini? Is it served in a vase?

Hi, L,
    Vodka Martinis are reserved for the hardcore. No gentle lulling into LaLa Land. And a BCO is mandatory in some parts of the country--especially the Midwest. A double "Mart" is also quite standard since a standard 2-3 ounces of the revered fluid hardly wets one's palette. Any top shelf establishment disregards standard "pours"--especially with their good customers.
    Back to Music. Did you notice in the above abominable piece by Debussy at about 1:15 -1:20 ,and forward, a motif Bernstein definitely stole from D for his West Side Story? Thanks for your reply and your sense of humor!
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Gin or GTFO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Gin or GTFO
    Hi, C,
    GTFO= Gin Tonic (F??) Olive. I give up.
    Play live . . . and sober . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

kamasi washington does debussy

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, L,
    Vodka Martinis are reserved for the hardcore. No gentle lulling into LaLa Land. And a BCO is mandatory in some parts of the country--especially the Midwest. A double "Mart" is also quite standard since a standard 2-3 ounces of the revered fluid hardly wets one's palette. Any top shelf establishment disregards standard "pours"--especially with their good customers.
    Back to Music. Did you notice in the above abominable piece by Debussy at about 1:15 -1:20 ,and forward, a motif Bernstein definitely stole from D for his West Side Story? Thanks for your reply and your sense of humor!
    Play live . . . Marinero
    Thank you, Marinero. I am familiar only with Martini served in a standard glass, and filling it to the brim. The revolving lounge at the Bonavista in Los Angeles was one good place to drink them.

I will listen again to West Side Story.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, C,
    GTFO= Gin Tonic (F??) Olive. I give up.
    never had a martini (vodka or gin) in my life..but i know some barroom slang

translation would be- gin martini or Get The eFF Out

charmed i'm sure...haha

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 03-29-2021 at 05:55 PM.

User Info Menu

It's the latter, of course.

Don't like my drivin? Dial 1-800-GTFO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    never had a martini (vodka or gin) in my life..but i know some barroom slang

translation would be- gin martini or Get The eFF Out

charmed i'm sure...haha

cheers
    See, N, what I miss not being conversant in Y2K dribble? Oh well . . . I'll have to leave that to another generation. In my generation . . . you had to be careful what you said to someone. What a difference the internet generation assumes in personal communication! However, it's a long sail to England. Play live . . .Marinero

User Info Menu

True, many jazz musicians were influenced by impressionist styles in classical music, painting, literature, and so on.
    OTOH, while Charlie Parker - and other jazz musicians - loved Debussy, his playing was purely expressive. Django loved the French impressionist painters, but his own paintings show the attributes of expressionism.

I'd connect impressionism with cool jazz, classical-related chamber jazz, etc., but since the beginning of jazz most of its genres are much more related to expressionist than impressionist movements. To me the nature of jazz is expressionism!

User Info Menu

I prefer abstract expressionism both in painting and music.

User Info Menu

^ jim hall with california abstract expressionist painter john altoon

cheers

ps- jim hall was probably thinkin' don't drip any paint on my van eps string damper! haha

User Info Menu

The painting looks like Jim?

User Info Menu

I was thinking Darth Vader actually.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I see C3PO. So I guess "expressionism" is where inkblots came from LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    The painting looks like Jim?
    The dark soul of Jim Hall...uncomfortably truthful...

User Info Menu

Quite.

Also, surprised to see they were holding jazz festivals in the Pacific as early as 1227, so I'm missing something there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    I prefer abstract expressionism both in painting and music.
    Hi, C,
    Can you explain the basic elements of Abstract Expressionist Music as well as providing an example of this in Jazz Music? Thanks in advance. Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

darth vader wasnt even a glimmer in george lucas' eye when that was painted!...precedes star wars by about 20 years!

cheers

User Info Menu

Darth Hall

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Man I’ve started feeling weirdly furious now when I see chord symbols analysing classical harmony...

What is happening to meeeeeeee????

User Info Menu

Typical jazz chords...only too many chords in a measure.