The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

My daughter, Rhona, is in the final months of her Masters Degree in Textiles at the Royal College of Art in London. Recently she was invited to take part in a collaboration with science students from Kings College London on the hippocampus, which is a tiny bone your ear. Its shape was seen by ancient Greeks as a cross between a horse and a sea creature, and it is this bringing together of two very different animals which caught Rhona's attention. She is explains it way better than I am doing at the moment. The drawings you see right at the start are her own.

From Rhona:

Synthetic Anatomy Collaborative Practice Pilot - A collaborative project between King's College Synthetic Anantomy and Royal College of Art students to encourage interdisciplinary dialogue between Arts and Science.
    I’m Rhona MacKillop and I’m a knitted textile artist from Edinburgh currently studying on the MA Textiles programme at the RCA and this is my response to a student's project that explored the potential anatomy of a Hippocampus.

Her current project is on the toxic chemicals used in the fashion industry which harm the factory workers. She takes the images of rashes and cancerous growths these workers suffer, using them as source patterns and colours for knitted garments. What initially looks like an attractive item of clothing is revealed to be the result of exploitation of underpaid workers from slum areas, forcing fashion addicts to question their support for the industry.

You know, it's not a million miles away from jazz...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Fascinating! You must be such a proud papa.

User Info Menu

[the hippocampus is part of the brain, isn't it? in the temporal lobe ..]

Cool video!

User Info Menu

Hey, I'm no scientist

Cheers, guys.

User Info Menu

Congrats to Rhona for this work and congrats to you Rob for enabling your daughter to develop such a great talent !

User Info Menu

Thanks, 339, but she has done her own thing for two decades, she deserves all the praise.

User Info Menu

Cool stuff! Love your daughter's approach to art!

Hippocampus compared to a seahorse:

My daughter's video - for all you hippocampus fans!-220px-hippocampus_and_seahorse_cropped-jpg

Print of the hippocampus made by the famed anatomist Camillo Golgi (d. 1926):

My daughter's video - for all you hippocampus fans!-golgi_hippocampus-jpg

User Info Menu

Cheers, Jeff. Exactly, the seahorse seems like one of those amalgamated creatures. Fascinating.

User Info Menu

Very interesting project. Your Paternal pride is well founded. Cool!

User Info Menu

The bones in the ear are the hammer, anvil and stirrup (also known as the malleus, incus, and stapes).

Impress your friends....

User Info Menu

Rob,
    Thank you for posting this fascinating project that your daughter Rhona embarked upon
    for 20 years! . It looks like hard work. and heartwarming to see a young lady
    applying herself to this Art Form, congratulations Fiona, You may not have time to study
    Guitar, but should you wish to, there:s a very good tutor, not too far away.

Best wishes Silverfoxx
    Last edited by silverfoxx; 03-15-2021 at 08:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guido5
    The bones in the ear are the hammer, anvil and stirrup (also known as the malleus, incus, and stapes).
    incus??

what goes around, comes around

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Rob,
    Thank you for posting this fascinating project that your daughter Fiona
    Rhona.

Thanks, Alan. She did play guitar for a while, ukulele too, but settled on bass. But due to her commitments and obsessions with all things textile, she has little time for it. No problem, though, as long as she is an artist her life will be well lived.

User Info Menu

@Neatomic - perfect!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    incus??

cheers
    The labels logo is a picture of the bones

User Info Menu

Well, Rothko listened to Mozart while painting. I'll introduce Rhona to Derek Bailey!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    incus??

cheers
    ”The girl with the concrete tongue”???

User Info Menu

Derek did have a way with titles...